What could life have been like for a woman many years ago?

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
Trixy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trixy.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Re: What could life have been like for a woman many years ag

Post by Trixy »

Women in past life have very hard time by getting their dreams accomplished, guess their lives were limited and bound to their families and husband.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I think women have actually come very far, but there's still a lot left. Women have come as far as they have because of their courage an insistence. They still struggle till now. Worldwide, most men still have a very poor mentality about the roles of a woman, especially in underdeveloped countries. I hope things keep changing.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Trixy wrote:Women in past life have very hard time by getting their dreams accomplished, guess their lives were limited and bound to their families and husband.
It is unfortunately the same still in many parts of the world.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Caleb001
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Caleb001 »

I really enjoyed it... About the author
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Vivian Paschal wrote:I think women have actually come very far, but there's still a lot left. Women have come as far as they have because of their courage an insistence. They still struggle till now. Worldwide, most men still have a very poor mentality about the roles of a woman, especially in underdeveloped countries. I hope things keep changing.
I hope the same as well.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Women have indeed defied restricting norms by becoming leaders, CEOs, entrepreneurs, politicians and so on as against the era when she couldn't even walk alongside a man, her husband or not, or even speak without being specifically referred to.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I agree that women have come quite far, but I'm worried we are starting to backslide...at least in America. Life is generally harder for us at home and in the workplace, and now our president has people convinced that not being sexist is just being "politically correct."
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

Many women would die while giving birth, so sad that many were rendered motherless due to lack of civilization.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

NSOfficial wrote:Sarah experiences a vision detailing what life could have been like for young women in Washington State many years ago. Did anything stand out and did it get you thinking about how far women have come in society?
Being abducted and forced into service as a "wife" was interesting, but in a tribal situation, the role of the woman to do many chores and to help create babies are traditional. In modern society, the role of women has changed for most cultures, but there are locations on Earth today where women still have a similar role as described in the story. I suppose it depends on where the woman lives and how women are viewed in the culture of that location.
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

BoyLazy wrote:
Amagine wrote:
Gingerbo0ks wrote:
Some women were goddesses back in the ancient times. Women were respected. It's a telling thing when women in some cultures today are treated worse than their 1000 year old counterparts. They had the right idea back then.
:tiphat:
Hahaha! They did! We need to go back to the way things were thousands of years ago!
Still there are places where women are treated like goddess. Young unmarried women are worshipped.

They were treated like goddesses for very specific reasons. This honour was not given to married women. And many are treated like goddesses even now. It's ritualistic, but the reasons for it are problematic. I wouldn't want to go back in time.
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Yes, women were considered goddesses in ancient times. Then the theme became to almost suppress women into households-cooking, cleaning, and raising children. For some, it suited them just fine, but others crave other aspects in life in order to shine. Women have more freedom to shine in their own way today; doing what ever it is they choose to do- raise a family, start a business, work from home, or work a 9-5.
WendyH
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyh.html

Post by WendyH »

Women have come a long way from a time when they were 100% dependent on first their parents and then a husband. No longer do they have to look to someone else to guide their lives or their choices. Women today can do almost anything they choose.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It is sad, they were married very young and started getting kids when they were kids themselves. Sarah and the other girls were about 13 or 14 yet they were captured to be wives. One of the girls in fact got her period and was 'taken' by a man. Without proper medical facilities, many died during childbirth. It is even sadder that in some parts of the world, this is still the case.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

I'm grateful for the growing sense of a woman's capabilities to contribute to society. Today we can become psychiatrists, scientists, nurses, athletes, and so much more. We can excel in these areas and bring about meaningful discoveries. We don't necessarily excel over men nor are we inferior by default. We are just given a chance to pursue the desires of our hearts. Unfortunately, that's not how it's always been. I believe that life would have been difficult for women many years ago, and many prejudices would have stood in their way.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I'm not sure I could live in the days or a society where I was viewed as property that could produce offspring.

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”