Sarah's Journey

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Sarah's Journey

Post by Amagine »

sj_robert wrote:I commend the author for such an immersive experience. I really enjoyed that bit of the book more than the other parts.
Her journey was an interesting part to read.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

I loved the account of Sarah's journey, especially all the nautical bits. I had to go back to the maps to picture it all, though. How those early sailors navigated was fascinating, often from tales passed down from others who had made the journey, not knowing what each landfall would bring. I was amazed at the size of the boat, with so many in the crew, and looked up what the boats would have looked like. They were remarkably good sailors. I also enjoyed the relationships that developed between the girls and with the crew; the fact that several of the women had been captured brides themselves - camaraderie, rivalry, growing respect, developing skill, strength and resilience, it was all here.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

sj_robert wrote:I commend the author for such an immersive experience. I really enjoyed that bit of the book more than the other parts.
I loved it.. Like the fact that the author is directly following this forum. Hope he gets the good feedback.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Amagine

Post by Amagine »

BoyLazy wrote:
I loved it.. Like the fact that the author is directly following this forum. Hope he gets the good feedback.
I'm sure he is. Since he's so active here, it's good to get lots of questions answered about the book.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Amagine wrote:
BoyLazy wrote:
I'm sure he is. Since he's so active here, it's good to get lots of questions answered about the book.
Yes, I received a few replies directly from the author. I am loving this forum ????
Boy Lazy

Amagine

Post by Amagine »

BoyLazy wrote:
Amagine wrote:
BoyLazy wrote: I loved it.. Like the fact that the author is directly following this forum. Hope he gets the good feedback.
Yes, I received a few replies directly from the author. I am loving this forum ????
Yes, it is good to be able to connect with the author of a book that you enjoyed.

BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Amagine wrote:
BoyLazy wrote:
Yes I liked it when he replies to me.
Boy Lazy

Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

Snowflake wrote:
Miriam Molina wrote:I found the narration fascinating. It used "Indian talk" with the characters being given descriptive names, the men searching for big animal and small animal signs, and the women yearning for journey children. I was there rowing and bailing water out, hiding in the bushes for private business and learning how to make and throw darts.
I felt this too. I really enjoyed this part of the book, especially the language. After the first narration of her vision, I kept waiting to get back to it and learn more.
Yes, I agree. The language used to describe Sarah's journey was the same as any child would describe his/her own journey. It suits her character really well and helps us to understand her struggles.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Anjum wrote:
Snowflake wrote:
Miriam Molina wrote:I found the narration fascinating. It used "Indian talk" with the characters being given descriptive names, the men searching for big animal and small animal signs, and the women yearning for journey children. I was there rowing and bailing water out, hiding in the bushes for private business and learning how to make and throw darts.
I felt this too. I really enjoyed this part of the book, especially the language. After the first narration of her vision, I kept waiting to get back to it and learn more.
Yes, I agree. The language used to describe Sarah's journey was the same as any child would describe his/her own journey. It suits her character really well and helps us to understand her struggles.
K.I.S.S. with Short overlooked..
Boy Lazy

Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Anjum wrote:
Snowflake wrote:
The language used made her character more believable to readers.

BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Amagine wrote:
Anjum wrote:
Snowflake wrote:
The language used made her character more believable to readers.
It's a plus point of the book. Kudos to the author
Boy Lazy

Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Much kudos to the author

Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

I love how Sarah gives an insight on her journey, the details aren't shady such that you can actually picture the scene. Even the name giving was symbolical showing that people have been able to upgrade communication to a certain level such that they can perceive a person's character through their name. Even in the modern day names are quite important even though a bit more classical. Names in most traditions are believed to hold character of their owner. But I would say that too much detail some times tends to confuse me since I find myself focusing on the scene more than the plot.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Salsabila wrote:I love how Sarah gives an insight on her journey, the details aren't shady such that you can actually picture the scene. Even the name giving was symbolical showing that people have been able to upgrade communication to a certain level such that they can perceive a person's character through their name. Even in the modern day names are quite important even though a bit more classical. Names in most traditions are believed to hold character of their owner. But I would say that too much detail some times tends to confuse me since I find myself focusing on the scene more than the plot.
Too many details can confuse readers sometimes

Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Christina Rose wrote:I found it somewhat hard to follow. I had a hard time keeping up with the different characters. It was very descriptive, yes, but it took me longer to get through this part of the novel. I had to kinda slow down.
I would say I felt exactly the same. I appreciate all the description though, I just feel it could have been a bit more easier on the reader.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”