What is the one thing that you missed in this book?

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
himynamestom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himynamestom.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Re: What is the one thing that you missed in this book?

Post by himynamestom »

I would have liked to have had more description of the scenery. Given that the story is set in the Olympic Peninsula, I think that lack of description was a real missed opportunity. A quick Google image search gives some pretty amazing results but as a reader, we're more or less left to our own imagination.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

himynamestom wrote:I would have liked to have had more description of the scenery. Given that the story is set in the Olympic Peninsula, I think that lack of description was a real missed opportunity. A quick Google image search gives some pretty amazing results but as a reader, we're more or less left to our own imagination.
Great. I have never done a google search from the parts of a book till now. Great thought to help us imagine better :)
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think there's a reason there isn't a sense of urgency. I don't know if this makes any sense, but I'll try to be coherent. I think sometimes when an author has a story that he or she wants to tell that hits really close to home like this, the story can't be altered. There are things that the author must get across, so the story has to fit these things. A lot of times it's the other way around. The author wants to just make a good story, so it can change to make more suspense because there isn't anything the author wants to really convey. I hope that made sense.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Amagine wrote:
Mindi wrote:I didn't feel like the adult characters were developed enough. It was a bit confusing figuring out how they were all connected and what all of their backgrounds were. To me, Sarah was the only interesting character.
I agree that there wasn't enough development with the characters and that was definitely unfortunate.
I wonder if it was intentional to leave some scope for imagination maybe..
Boy Lazy

Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

BoyLazy wrote:
Amagine wrote:
Mindi wrote:I didn't feel like the adult characters were developed enough. It was a bit confusing figuring out how they were all connected and what all of their backgrounds were. To me, Sarah was the only interesting character.
I agree that there wasn't enough development with the characters and that was definitely unfortunate.
That could be the case but sometimes that kind of stunt can fail. It's always good to give your characters proper development.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Amagine wrote:
BoyLazy wrote:
Amagine wrote:
That could be the case but sometimes that kind of stunt can fail. It's always good to give your characters proper development.
Yes, sometimes I love it if there is something hidden instead of not been told about a character. It forces us to use our imagination.

-- 05 Oct 2017, 00:59 --
gali wrote:I felt the element of tension was missing. There was some action, but not enough of it to keep the story going. The book could do with another round of editing.
Are there any good editors or reviewers who can help in editing a rough draft to a short story? I needed some help but could not afford paying someone right now..
Boy Lazy

Amagine

Post by Amagine »

I guess that's true as well. A character can have some secrets that are not revealed to readers.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Amagine wrote:I guess that's true as well. A character can have some secrets that are not revealed to readers.
It is just the way that it is presented.. sometime we may feel like it is missed while in some cases we will be excited if it is kept hidden as a secret.
Boy Lazy

Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I think the novel doesn't have much immediacy. When I was reading it, it felt as though I viewed everything from a distance instead of experiencing events with the characters.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Lest92 wrote:I think the novel doesn't have much immediacy. When I was reading it, it felt as though I viewed everything from a distance instead of experiencing events with the characters.
I think it was just hard relating to them that's why you can't really experience things with them or feel what they're feeling.

Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson

Post by Christina Rose »

walter7 wrote:I recommend backround of the characters for the story to start with an ease pace
Character background would have definitely been beneficial.
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Amagine wrote:
Lest92 wrote:I think the novel doesn't have much immediacy. When I was reading it, it felt as though I viewed everything from a distance instead of experiencing events with the characters.
I think it was just hard relating to them that's why you can't really experience things with them or feel what they're feeling.
But the beauty of nature still stands. That's the aspect which holds the book together.

-- 05 Oct 2017, 23:13 --
Christina Rose wrote:
walter7 wrote:I recommend backround of the characters for the story to start with an ease pace
Character background would have definitely been beneficial.
The raw characters left some work for our imagination. That is why some love Sarah and some I found did not like her. It's up to us and our imagination. This fact excites me.

-- 05 Oct 2017, 23:13 --
Have you ever been on similar hikes? Can you share your experience here?

-- 05 Oct 2017, 23:15 --
kandscreeley wrote:I think there's a reason there isn't a sense of urgency. I don't know if this makes any sense, but I'll try to be coherent. I think sometimes when an author has a story that he or she wants to tell that hits really close to home like this, the story can't be altered. There are things that the author must get across, so the story has to fit these things. A lot of times it's the other way around. The author wants to just make a good story, so it can change to make more suspense because there isn't anything the author wants to really convey. I hope that made sense.
That made complete sense. What do you think which type of book is this one?

-- 05 Oct 2017, 23:16 --
himynamestom wrote:I would have liked to have had more description of the scenery. Given that the story is set in the Olympic Peninsula, I think that lack of description was a real missed opportunity. A quick Google image search gives some pretty amazing results but as a reader, we're more or less left to our own imagination.
Now after seeing the actual pics of the location, I too feel the same.

-- 05 Oct 2017, 23:18 --

Is there something that the author has edited from the draft version of this story? Does anyone know?
Boy Lazy

Amagine

Post by Amagine »

I don't know. I didn't read the draft version. I know the author is on the forums. Maybe he can answer this question.

Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

gali wrote:I felt the element of tension was missing. There was some action, but not enough of it to keep the story going. The book could do with another round of editing.
Yes, I agree. Even though the story was interesting, I never felt any suspense of what would happen next. It was also boring in some areas.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Can someone tag the author and ask them below question:
Is there something that the author has edited from the draft version of this story? Does anyone know?

-- 06 Oct 2017, 07:49 --
BoyLazy wrote:Every book has its specialties and mistakes. They may be big ones or very minute ones. Did you feel that something was missing in this book?
If the author had added that element, it could have improved your impression over this book further.. Did you get that feeling? Let me know.
Can someone tag the author here. I would love to know his opinion to this topic of discussion.
Boy Lazy

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”