Conflicts regarding tradition

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Conflicts regarding tradition

Post by BoyLazy »

Amagine wrote:
walter7 wrote:The two compliment to each other but mostly data should work with legends
The two definitely do compliment one another that's why both are needed.
Well said both of you.

-- 04 Oct 2017, 14:58 --
Vickie Noel wrote:I tend to err more on the side of data, though I understand the significance of legends as it forms the basis of a people's culture, sometimes, their origin as well. But I think the facts generally speak more for themselves.
It's facts that I believe in strongly. Legends are not always for real.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Eric77
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eric77.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Eric77 »

Both are equally important. They all have their places and can't be substituted for another. However, in this day and age, more importance could be given to data.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Eric77 wrote:Both are equally important. They all have their places and can't be substituted for another. However, in this day and age, more importance could be given to data.
They are both equally important. I definitely agree.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson

Post by Christina Rose »

Eric77 wrote:Both are equally important. They all have their places and can't be substituted for another. However, in this day and age, more importance could be given to data.
I do think more emphasis is put on data nowadays. There are less and less people who believe in legend without concrete facts.
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Christina Rose wrote:
I do think more emphasis is put on data nowadays. There are less and less people who believe in legend without concrete facts.
Exactly. I feel like they are tales and are often blown out of proportion.
Boy Lazy

Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html

Post by Alicnim »

Christina Rose wrote:
Vickie Noel wrote:I tend to err more on the side of data, though I understand the significance of legends as it forms the basis of a people's culture, sometimes, their origin as well. But I think the facts generally speak more for themselves.
I can agree with you that facts and physical data can pretty much speak for themselves, but I still tend to lean more towards legends as being more significant in terms of knowing where you came from. To some, those stories of creation, legends of warriors, and various rituals and such, are all that's truly left after war and violence and even weather. Those are our links to preserve, even if we can't put them in a museum.
Facts can be changed @Vickie Noel and @Christina Rose. They are all a factor of time, even scientific theory is only real till the thesis is substantially challenged. I consider legend more stable, though it can be interpreted differently as its always outlandish to non-believers.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

I think legends are just more personal and that's why a lot of people are so drawn to them.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Alicnim wrote:
Christina Rose wrote:
I can agree with you that facts and physical data can pretty much speak for themselves, but I still tend to lean more towards legends as being more significant in terms of knowing where you came from. To some, those stories of creation, legends of warriors, and various rituals and such, are all that's truly left after war and violence and even weather. Those are our links to preserve, even if we can't put them in a museum.
Facts can be changed @Vickie Noel and @Christina Rose. They are all a factor of time, even scientific theory is only real till the thesis is substantially challenged. I consider legend more stable, though it can be interpreted differently as its always outlandish to non-believers.
Different way of thinking.. I could never understand this.
Boy Lazy

meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

BoyLazy wrote:Both are important but I would give a little more preference to data while not completely ignoring the importance of legends.
I also think both are very important and do complement each other. However, where data is missing, legends should remain an important means to beliefs about the past.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

meteku4 wrote:
BoyLazy wrote:Both are important but I would give a little more preference to data while not completely ignoring the importance of legends.
I also think both are very important and do complement each other. However, where data is missing, legends should remain an important means to beliefs about the past.
Can you share an example where data is missing and legends have been useful.. just wondering about how often that happens?
Boy Lazy

Amagine

Post by Amagine »

meteku4 wrote:
I also believe that legends should always be important.

Sasha Walker
Currently Reading: The Lies of Locke Lamora
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-walker.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sasha Walker »

In the literary world the answer to this question is ambiguous. Depending on the story either "data" (which I liken to facts) or "legends" (which I liken to tradition) can be the information that leads to the correct path.

In reality I find that data is the more impactful information that is needed to make a good decision.
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Amagine wrote:
meteku4 wrote:
I also believe that legends should always be important.
In real life instance I can't find an example where I've looked over facts.. thus not going for legends..
Boy Lazy

The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I think both are important.legends carry the legacy to coming generations but the data is there for the real analysis. So, data cannot be ignored for legends.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

The Researcher wrote:I think both are important.legends carry the legacy to coming generations but the data is there for the real analysis. So, data cannot be ignored for legends.
Data definitely can not be ignored.

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”