How did you feel about Sarah in the beginning?

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

How did you feel about Sarah in the beginning?

Post by Christina Rose »

I found myself with mixed feelings when it came to Sarah in the beginning of the book. Parts of me felt bad for her and her situation. Other parts were annoyed with the way she reacted to Tom, William, and Myra. She was critical of everything from what they were eating to the lack of a television set.
How did you feel toward Sarah in the beginning? Did your feelings change throughout your reading?
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Poor kid, obviously knocked around and abused to the point where she didn't trust anyone. She would be critical of everything, it's her way of making her presence felt - she's obviously been overlooked many times before. A strong little character. She fights back, instead of giving in and letting people push her around.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

At first I thought Sarah was just a typical obnoxious teenager entering adolescence. Realistically, I think any teenager who is suddenly dumped on the doorstep of a relative they had never met, especially when that relative lives in the middle of nowhere, is bound to be bitter and hostile. Also, considering her background, her behaviour was probably a protective mechanism to keep people at arm's length and stop herself getting hurt emotionally.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I felt bad for her because of the situation she was in, but then I kept thinking they are taking care of her and she being such a brat.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

jenjayfromSA wrote:Poor kid, obviously knocked around and abused to the point where she didn't trust anyone. She would be critical of everything, it's her way of making her presence felt - she's obviously been overlooked many times before. A strong little character. She fights back, instead of giving in and letting people push her around.
I see what you're saying. I was just having a hard time with her attitude towards the three in the very beginning. Her attitude as a defense mechanism makes sense.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I also didn't like her at first, but grew to like her as the story unfolded.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

jwalker73 wrote:At first I thought Sarah was just a typical obnoxious teenager entering adolescence. Realistically, I think any teenager who is suddenly dumped on the doorstep of a relative they had never met, especially when that relative lives in the middle of nowhere, is bound to be bitter and hostile. Also, considering her background, her behaviour was probably a protective mechanism to keep people at arm's length and stop herself getting hurt emotionally.
That makes sense. The mind is a powerful tool, and can definitely elicit certain behaviors in order to protect us.

-- 02 Oct 2017, 09:28 --
Mjgarrison wrote:I felt bad for her because of the situation she was in, but then I kept thinking they are taking care of her and she being such a brat.
That was pretty much my thought process, too. But, I can see what others are saying about her immediate reaction to people being one of distrust.

-- 02 Oct 2017, 09:30 --
gali wrote:I also didn't like her at first, but grew to like her as the story unfolded.
My opinion of her character improved the more I read, as well.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I didn't like her in the beginning for the exact same reasons you listed. However, she did end up growing on me, although maybe not as much as she was supposed to.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

She was annoying at the beginning. Even though she had a rough life, you still can't go around being rude to anyone who crosses your path.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

@Mallory Whitaker I totally agree, I did end up liking her more as I read and I understood part of why she was being the way she was but it just seemed like she didn't even try in the beginning. I get she got ditched with Grandpa, she felt like no one liked her, her parents are gone, those are all valid problems but being rude to the only ones that did seem to care didn't help.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Mjgarrison wrote:@Mallory Whitaker I totally agree, I did end up liking her more as I read and I understood part of why she was being the way she was but it just seemed like she didn't even try in the beginning. I get she got ditched with Grandpa, she felt like no one liked her, her parents are gone, those are all valid problems but being rude to the only ones that did seem to care didn't help.
Yeah, I really do get it. She's also thirteen. Few people are in their best form at thirteen, especially after going through everything she's been through. She pretty much stayed rude the whole time, even though she did end up caring about them in the end. I liked her in the chapters she narrated but she felt like a completely different character in those sections.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Mallory Whitaker wrote:I didn't like her in the beginning for the exact same reasons you listed. However, she did end up growing on me, although maybe not as much as she was supposed to.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I kinda feel bad because I don't like her more than I do. :|

-- 02 Oct 2017, 11:56 --
Amagine wrote:She was annoying at the beginning. Even though she had a rough life, you still can't go around being rude to anyone who crosses your path.
These are pretty much my exact thoughts. It made it a little difficult in the beginning chapters to appreciate her as a character.

-- 02 Oct 2017, 11:59 --
Mjgarrison wrote:@Mallory Whitaker I totally agree, I did end up liking her more as I read and I understood part of why she was being the way she was but it just seemed like she didn't even try in the beginning. I get she got ditched with Grandpa, she felt like no one liked her, her parents are gone, those are all valid problems but being rude to the only ones that did seem to care didn't help.
You hit the nail on the head. She wasn't even trying, and that really got to me. Don't get me wrong, she was going through a lot, but you've got to let people in occasionally if you don't want to go it alone.

-- 02 Oct 2017, 12:01 --
Mallory Whitaker wrote:
Yeah, I really do get it. She's also thirteen. Few people are in their best form at thirteen, especially after going through everything she's been through. She pretty much stayed rude the whole time, even though she did end up caring about them in the end. I liked her in the chapters she narrated but she felt like a completely different character in those sections.
She really did feel like a completely different character in those sections!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I will admit that my feelings towards her changed at the end. I still wouldn't call her my favorite character though.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

I was a little annoyed with Sarah at first, but I thought she had the most interesting character arc out of anyone in the novel.
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Amagine wrote:I will admit that my feelings towards her changed at the end. I still wouldn't call her my favorite character though.
No, she was definitely not one of my favorites. But absolutely more tolerable towards the end.

-- 02 Oct 2017, 22:37 --
Ashley Simon wrote:I was a little annoyed with Sarah at first, but I thought she had the most interesting character arc out of anyone in the novel.
You make a very good point.

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”