Age of characters

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
Ebby Brown
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebby-brown.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Age of characters

Post by Ebby Brown »

Tom and William will not survive another trip. I guess Sarah was just tough and used to harsh conditions that she would always find her way, so it's not about her age.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I think if they don't encounter any situation beyond their control - like an accident, for instance - they should be well and good. I don't think their age would be the factor that causes a downwards spiral in health. Since they already got familiarized themselves with the trek, doing it a second time should be much easier. as for Sarah, I think the fact that she was so young really helped with her survival. She was much healthier and fitter than the others, so it seems likely that she was the one able to tackle that journey and come out stronger because of it.
Berry_
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-berry.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Berry_ »

I think Sarah was lucky to survive those 8 days alone because she had no knowledge whatsoever of the place. It ha nothing to do with age. The reason Tom survived was because he was educated on the matter and had people to help him. Otherwise he would not have made it alone.
Millicent_2
Favorite Book: The Curious Spell of Madam Genova
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-millicent-2.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Millicent_2 »

prenaramesh wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 03:56 I got the feeling Tom and William were around 70 (I might be wrong here) So I'm actually surprised they even survived this trek! I think it is the magic / the supernatural elements / the bear that helped Sarah survive. I don't think any thirteen-year-old girl who gets lost for 8 days in the wilderness in harsh weather conditions with no food will survive.

PS: I now think I might be a very pessimistic person.
I agree with you. I was very impressed that both Tom and William were as active as they were for elder men. However, it seemed like something bad was going to happen to either one of them. I kept holding my breath while reading, especially whenever they encountered external factors that would derail their journey, such as their search for Sarah, the severe thunderstorm, the surveyors threatening them, and the fires.
Asja Šabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Asja Šabani »

I didn't get the impression that the age of the characters was an issue. I thought that Sarah was maybe a little too young but it didn't bother me. However, I do believe that she survived due to supernatural elements, i.e. the bear. To me, Tom and William only seemed out of shape; they are not sick. Therefore, I think they can survive another journey to Bob-Bob's grave.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

prenaramesh wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 03:56 I got the feeling Tom and William were around 70 (I might be wrong here) So I'm actually surprised they even survived this trek! I think it is the magic / the supernatural elements / the bear that helped Sarah survive. I don't think any thirteen-year-old girl who gets lost for 8 days in the wilderness in harsh weather conditions with no food will survive.

PS: I now think I might be a very pessimistic person.
Lolz
we are both together on this one.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

Christina Rose wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 03:31 No, I don't think Tom and William could make that hike again. I think Tom was goal-driven, and this helped him immensely. Getting to Bob-Bob's grave was of the utmost importance at that time. William was driven by sheer determination and his friendship with Tom. Another trek would just be too much.

I don't know if it was Sarah's age so much as it was her stubbornness and underlying strength.
Interesting
Thanks for the comment

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”