How significant is Tom's grandfather, Bob-Bob, to the story?

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Re: How significant is Tom's grandfather, Bob-Bob, to the st

Post by Javier Campos »

Even though he is not alive he is the only reason they went to the mountains in first place. I hope there is a bit more about his life in the next book.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

He has spiritual significance and leads his younger relatives to periods of self-discovery and enlightenment. He's integral to the entire plot.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I think Bob-bob is important to the plot because they never would have gone without him.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Bancroft
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bancroft.html
Latest Review: "Unshielded Past" by Patti Morelli

Post by Bancroft »

Anything which complements the story is a part of story so grandfather is of great importance
Latest Review: "Unshielded Past" by Patti Morelli
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

Bob Bob, is the one that drives the journey, thanks to him all the characters have the possibility to join in this voyage of discovery, which leads us all into a wonderful adventure.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

I believe Tom-Tom's inclusion into the story was imperative. If not for that, Sarah would not have the blood to back up the history that she has endured through her vision. The atlatl would have been a truly, stolen artifact, instead of a family heirloom. The whole story would have been different, I believe.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

Basically, we can that Bob Bob's significance in the whole story is very crucial. He's the reason why they are going on a camping trip. It all started with him. And I think, Tom and Sarah at some point are trying to commemorate him by working together. What happened to Tom and his grandfather actually happened to Tom and Sarah but in a completely different way.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1886
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I best like the story when Tom's friend William tries to convince him that bringing Sarah along with them in their expedition was not a mistake. William further explains to Tom that years back he had brought his grandfather Bob Bob to Olympic National Park, which was so valuable to Tom and now it was Sarah, his granddaughter from the present generation. William says that bringing Sarah along with them could be as worthwhile and even more than bringing his grandfather Bob Bob. The author of the book lays stress on important values of life i.e old is gold and we should respect the past.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I think Bob-Bob is extremely significant to the story. He is the generation before Sarah's grandfather, and the reason for the journey they're taking. He is the nearest connection to their past.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

He seemed kind of superfluous to me, except that it allowed three generations to be represented, which gave the story a nice flavor. :techie-studyingbrown:
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

Amagine wrote: 01 Oct 2017, 16:37 In the beginning, we learn that Tom and his friends are taking a trip to Tom's grandfather's grave. Later, we learn more about him from Tom's stories.

How important is his character to the overall story? How significant is he in the development of Tom's character or Sarah's?
Having Bob-Bob being mentioned in the plot clearly helps portraying the heritage of family and social values that are handed down the generations and the consequences of not handing them to the following generation. In a way, the natives of Sarah's journey could be considered the forefathers whose life experience, developed and perfected with time, reached Tom and the Sarah herself.
Personally, I'm into the hobby of genealogy and so this element of the story was quite familiar
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

Bob Bob is very significant he opened the theme of this novel "Strong Heart". Tom's reason for journeying to Olympics was to return an artifact to his grand father's grave. Sarah became "Strong Heart" during this venture learning about the history of their people.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

The whole story was based on the trip to which Bob-Bob was the central point and the reason at the first place why Tom went on the trip.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

The character was left with no significance in the present form of the story. I wished there was some more mystery surrounding the character that gets tied up the happenings at the end of the book. But that never happened. So I feel the character was only to bring all the others together on a trail that eventually triggers the chain on events regarding Sarah.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

While not actually being alive in the book I think the character was really important because without him they wouldn't be going on the travels

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”