A story within a story

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Re: A story within a story

Post by Lest92 »

I understood it's a metanarrative but we slipped into Strongheart's story without warning. I enjoyed it, but as others have said, a better handling of the beginning and end would have improved the book.
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

When the captives got to the boat, I really liked the past story. I thought it could have been developed and expanded into its own book, especially because the vibe clashed with the camping side of the story. Both were interesting, but each side needed the other to add mystery all around.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

I found myself more drawn to the story of Sarah's journey. I really wanted to learn more about her trip and the customs of the Native Americans, so I'm hoping there will be more coming in the sequel. The sadness of the losses they endured was so real! Well done.
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I definitely enjoyed reading about Sarah's vision more so than the actual story itself. I felt that it was part of the main focus, in particular on the return trip. Between the two parts of the story, I felt that the present day action was a filler.
Madison Degraffenreid
Jeinzy Danica Nunez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jeinzy Danica Nunez »

That moment when Sarah reveals her self as a grand daughter of Tom was the start of a never ending amazement journey. It's a great story with an adventure, scientific inquiry, a tinge of mystery.
Jan Moraa Onsomu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9266">Kite Runner</a>
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jan-moraa-onsomu.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Jan Moraa Onsomu »

I totally enjoyed Sarah's story! It's the one thing that made this book truly enjoyable. Initially, it was hard trying to keep up with the many characters, but once I realised they were mostly inconsequential, I enjoyed the read. It also implied that Sarah stood out from her peers and was chosen to go to the marking place. Also, she sort of fell in love, and I wish I'd heard about that as well. The best plot twist was that her imaginations or whatever that was are what saved them all in real life when they were surrounded by the forest fires.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
walter7
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter7.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by walter7 »

-- 03 Oct 2017, 23:53 --

I enjoyed sarah's story it was twisting at the first but when I got the pace it was sweet
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I find the past more interesting. It has more adventures and it gave us some experiences that we could only imagine.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

The transitions between the storylines could have been smoother, but I liked it. I did find the Native American storyline more interesting though.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

The idea of a story within a story never fails to impress me. In this book, I liked the camping story better, mostly because of the narration.
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I liked both sections of book. I think both the sections are equally important to develop Sarah's character.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Kat Kennedy wrote:I found myself more drawn to the story of Sarah's journey. I really wanted to learn more about her trip and the customs of the Native Americans, so I'm hoping there will be more coming in the sequel. The sadness of the losses they endured was so real! Well done.
I'm with you Kat Kennedy on this one. I thought the language and the descriptive flow of Sarah's journey were amazing. I felt like I was on the journey too and I would love for there to be more of that in the future.

I didn't have any issues with the transitions between the parts of the story and actually found it easier to sort out who everyone was in the camping story after the first narration of Sarah's vision. It took me a good while to sort out Tom and William within the camping story. It seemed easier as I went through the book.
peace starts with a smile...
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Snowflake wrote:
Kat Kennedy wrote:I found myself more drawn to the story of Sarah's journey. I really wanted to learn more about her trip and the customs of the Native Americans, so I'm hoping there will be more coming in the sequel. The sadness of the losses they endured was so real! Well done.
I'm with you Kat Kennedy on this one. I thought the language and the descriptive flow of Sarah's journey were amazing. I felt like I was on the journey too and I would love for there to be more of that in the future.

I didn't have any issues with the transitions between the parts of the story and actually found it easier to sort out who everyone was in the camping story after the first narration of Sarah's vision. It took me a good while to sort out Tom and William within the camping story. It seemed easier as I went through the book.
Sarah's part was the best. I want to read more.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

I think I enjoyed both. It is enjoyable to see virtually everyone distrust Sarah, and then she growing into her character to the amazement of her family.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

I enjoyed the camping story the most as I enjoyed the dynamics between the characters and watching the formation of bonds. I also liked the story of Strong Heart, but I am unsure if this was because this story was more descriptive and the characters seemed a bit more well-developed. I did, however, feel that aspects of this story were a bit tedious at times.

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”