Overall rating and opinion of "Strong Heart"

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "Strong Heart"

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the October 2017 Book of the Month, "Strong heart" by Charlie Sheldon.

What is your overall opinion of "Strong heart"? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not? Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

I truly enjoyed this book. I rated this a 4 out of 4. One of the things I enjoyed the most was the Native American mythology and the incorporation of the idea of inherited memory and how memory can be passed on through many generations through genetics. All very interesting concepts. It made me want to read more and I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I honestly had a tough time enjoying this read. We don't really learn about the characters and their backgrounds, which in general this makes me care less about characters who aren't developed well. The flow of the story was slow for me and I found some of the bickering and dialogue unrealistic and stiff. There were some good themes here, but overall my enjoyment aspect brought my rating. I was teetering between a 1 or a 2, and decided a 1 out of 4 stars.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

I really liked this book and gave it 4 out of 4 stars. The Native American mythology was awesome to learn about but even better was the emergence of the youngest character as perhaps the strongest and most endearing to me.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I think I gave it three stars in bookshelves, but only because I really enjoyed reading the book from Strong Heart's perspective. I should've given it two stars though because that was the only aspect of the story that I enjoyed.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

I enjoyed this book. At first, I wasn't sure that I would get thru it completely. Then I hit right about the 4th chapter and things started getting interesting. I actually did a review for this book and compared it slightly to the Twilight series. Considering most readers would only think of Twilight when the think of Washington State. Well I hate to tell people, but there's a new book in town.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I gave the novel 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the mythology. Sarah and William were my favorite characters. I disliked Tom. I found the secondary story distracting in the beginning but then I liked it. My only compliant is that there were unresolved points at the end.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The story started strong. Towards the middle, though, I had a tough time. This was during Sarah's canoeing journey. I had to set the book aside. When I went back to it, I couldn't stop until the "credits." It's a fantastic story about heritage and growing up. I think it was Tom-Tom who got the most out of the experience. I did too. From the mouth of babes.

I give the book 4 out of 4 stars.
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:I honestly had a tough time enjoying this read. We don't really learn about the characters and their backgrounds, which in general this makes me care less about characters who aren't developed well. The flow of the story was slow for me and I found some of the bickering and dialogue unrealistic and stiff. There were some good themes here, but overall my enjoyment aspect brought my rating. I was teetering between a 1 or a 2, and decided a 1 out of 4 stars.
I felt the same, but I rated it 2 out of 4 stars since I liked the blend of science, mysticism, and magic.

I finished the book a couple of days ago and found it an ok read. I liked it, but it but it didn’t really make an impact on me. It starts off pretty good, dragged in the middle, and then came back on track. It was too slow-paced at times, and the over-detailed passages about the ice ages made it tedious to read.

Sarah experiences were interesting to read, but it could have been tightened. I thought the ending was very abrupt and unsatisfying and I found the writing quite stilted at times.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MaryBurris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryburris.html
Latest Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Post by MaryBurris »

I gave it 3 out of 4 stars because I felt the story was unfinished. I enjoyed reading Sarah's vision, but thought it could have been tidied up a bit.
“Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.”
― Edmund Burke
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I really enjoyed this book. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. I loved how the story jumps into this adventures and the mythology that supports the story. The characters were developedeveloped amazingly too.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I have enjoyed this book. In start story goes with a good pace but in the middle it becomes somehow vague. Plot becomes less clear.but the good aspect of the book is this that it retains the interest of a reader from start to end. So I would like to rate it 3 out of 4.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I reviewed it a few weeks ago, check it out and tell me what you think
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by prenaramesh »

What I liked best about the book was Myra and Sergei's conflicts - the different things they believe in. I honestly felt they both were right. Myra believes the legends she grew up with are true because she believes they come from fact. Sergei, on the other hand, would prefer to wait on scientific evidence. From their perspectives, they were both right. However, what I didn't like about the book was how Sergei and Myra switched between belief and disbelief.
In the beginning, Myra believes Sarah about seeing the bear. And then she doesn't believe Sarah's story. Sergei meanwhile says he doesn't believe anything without scientific evidence and then believes Sarah's story and even defends it. I found this switch a little confusing.
Did anyone else feel the same way? Or did I miss some explanation in the book?
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose
gali

Post by gali »

prenaramesh wrote:What I liked best about the book was Myra and Sergei's conflicts - the different things they believe in. I honestly felt they both were right. Myra believes the legends she grew up with are true because she believes they come from fact. Sergei, on the other hand, would prefer to wait on scientific evidence. From their perspectives, they were both right. However, what I didn't like about the book was how Sergei and Myra switched between belief and disbelief.
In the beginning, Myra believes Sarah about seeing the bear. And then she doesn't believe Sarah's story. Sergei meanwhile says he doesn't believe anything without scientific evidence and then believes Sarah's story and even defends it. I found this switch a little confusing.
Did anyone else feel the same way? Or did I miss some explanation in the book?
I liked it too.

I also found the switch in opinions a bit odd.
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”