September Genre Discussion

For September 2017 we will be reading Graphic Novel/Manga.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

September Genre Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Hi everyone!

It's a bit late, but it looks like this month's genre of choice was Graphic Novel/Manga! There are Graphic Novels and Manga that are either based on full-length novels or they are unique. They range from kid-friendly to ones that perhaps kids shouldn't read quite yet.

Let's discuss what you read. If you haven't read a Graphic Novel/Manga, there's still time in September to do so!
  • - Firstly, did you read a Graphic Novel or a work of Manga?
    - What was the story about?
    - Did you enjoy it? Why or why not?
    - What rating would you give it?
    - Would you recommend this read to others?
Can't wait to hear about you read! I have a tough time enjoying these types of books, but I'm always willing to try something new. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for opening the thread. :)

I am not too fond of Graphic Novels either, but I have read a few. My favorites were "smile" and "Sisters" by Raina Telgemeier and loved it. The books are graphic memoirs based on the author's childhood, and they relate her experiences in a fun way. I liked the concept of the book and the way the author used comics to show her interactions with her sister. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars, as it was an enjoyable read. I would recommend this read to others, especially to YA.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

My son has recently discovered a fondness for graphic novels, so we have read a few together.
Sad to say, I'm really not a fan- but we've read a few together that I have pushed to finish.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

No worries, gali. :)

I think I have a problem with the drawings to words ratio. I like to use my own imagination to create a setting and people when I read, so when I have drawings/illustrations to do that for me, it takes away some of the fun for me. I have read a few...The Kite Runner and The Jungle Book come to mind. I think they both were well done and for the right person, I think they would be enjoyable.

gali, I'm glad you have found ones that you like. Perhaps I should give one of them a try!

kbradley, it's awesome that your son has discovered the joy in these books. It's also great that you encourage them even if you aren't a big fan. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

klbradley wrote:My son has recently discovered a fondness for graphic novels, so we have read a few together.
Sad to say, I'm really not a fan- but we've read a few together that I have pushed to finish.
My son likes them as well. :)

-- September 26th, 2017, 6:26 pm --
hsimone wrote:No worries, gali. :)

I think I have a problem with the drawings to words ratio. I like to use my own imagination to create a setting and people when I read, so when I have drawings/illustrations to do that for me, it takes away some of the fun for me. I have read a few...The Kite Runner and The Jungle Book come to mind. I think they both were well done and for the right person, I think they would be enjoyable.

gali, I'm glad you have found ones that you like. Perhaps I should give one of them a try!
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

They're really popular where I work. They seem to really love the Sisters and Smile ones and Naruto. I myself have liked the Nathan Hale's hazardous tales. They're a funny graphic novel that introduces kids to history.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

hsimone wrote:Can't wait to hear about you read! I have a tough time enjoying these types of books, but I'm always willing to try something new. :)
Try Greg Rucka's Lazarus series. Sci-fi, dystopia. I love this series sooo much! I'm kind of picky about artwork, and this is the best I've found. I love the story, and the characters!
Forever Carlyle is such an amazing character.
Basically, the best graphic novel series I'm reading (I've been amassing quite a list).

Then again, I find I enjoy the format, so... :lol:

And to be on topic, I'm currently reading the first in a new series. Romulus by Bryan Hill.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote:
hsimone wrote:Can't wait to hear about you read! I have a tough time enjoying these types of books, but I'm always willing to try something new. :)
Try Greg Rucka's Lazarus series. Sci-fi, dystopia. I love this series sooo much! I'm kind of picky about artwork, and this is the best I've found. I love the story, and the characters!
Forever Carlyle is such an amazing character.
Basically, the best graphic novel series I'm reading (I've been amassing quite a list).

Then again, I find I enjoy the format, so... :lol:

And to be on topic, I'm currently reading the first in a new series. Romulus by Bryan Hill.
Thank you for the suggestion, Gravy. I'll add this to my list to check out!
Heidi

jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

When I was a kid my mother refused to let me read comics - she said it was bad for my development, vocab and reading level. I read them anyway. I've read a few of the latest graphic novels and, while not my reading of choice (any more than condensed books), they are works of art and I appreciate them for that. My teenage daughter loves both graphic novels and manga. I've watched Death Note with her and Naruto. She recommends Attack on Titan (dramatic), Fruits Basket (mythological and romantic) and Maid Sama! (pure romance).
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

jenjayfromSA wrote:When I was a kid my mother refused to let me read comics - she said it was bad for my development, vocab and reading level. I read them anyway. I've read a few of the latest graphic novels and, while not my reading of choice (any more than condensed books), they are works of art and I appreciate them for that. My teenage daughter loves both graphic novels and manga. I've watched Death Note with her and Naruto. She recommends Attack on Titan (dramatic), Fruits Basket (mythological and romantic) and Maid Sama! (pure romance).
It's great that you can appreciate this genre of books and that you've let your daughter enjoy them too. I'll have to look into those recommendations! :) I've never thought of graphic novels and manga as works of art. That might be part of my problem. I love music, but artwork doesn't usually hold my interest - like in museums, art shows, etc.

This brings to mind a story - when I was teaching for a few years, I would encourage all kinds of books (as long as they were school-appropriate, lol). I remember having a student who thrived on artwork and making his own comics. This turned out to be an incentive when it became hard to reach him. It worked because he found a way that he was comfortable and confident to express himself. So, I can definitely see the value in them!

Thank you for sharing, jenjayfromSA!
Heidi

Carol Cisne
Currently Reading: Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 12
Bookshelf Size: 1072
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-cisne.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Carol Cisne »

Sorry for the super-late post. I like reading manga and I hope it's ok to share now even though it’s October.

I am currently reading One Piece by Eiichiro Oda. It's a longer running series that started in 1997 and is still publishing new material each week in Shonen Jump. I am around chapter 800 and there are around 880 chapters that have been published.

One Piece gets its title from the treasure that Gol D. Roger, referred to as King of the Pirates, left behind for anyone daring enough to search for it. Roger was executed by the World Government but his message sparked a new era called the Great Age of the Pirates. The story then focuses on Monkey D. Luffy, a boy who ate a mysterious fruit that give him the ability to be stretchy like rubber (a gum-gum fruit). Luffy is determined to find the One Piece and become King of the Pirates. Along the way he forms a crew and they gain notoriety as the Straw Hat Pirates. Each crew member has their own personal goals but they are all united under Luffy.

There is so much more to this story but I want to keep this post short...

I am enjoying this manga. I started reading it 1997 as a kid and have kept with it as an adult. I stopped here and there because I prefer to read a bunch of chapters at a time (and I also don't have much spare time). I can't believe it's already been 20 years! The characters have come such a long way since the beginning and it's insane that there's still so much more to come.

I rate One Piece a 3 out of 4 stars, although it's hard to rate since the author says he's nowhere near finished.

I recommend One Piece to anyone who enjoys comedy, action, and adventure. One Piece is one of the few manga I can recommend to all ages, from kids to adults. The story is straight forward enough for kids to follow and develops enough complexity for adults to be entertained too. I find a similar theme with the characters, they are simple enough when introduced but start to show more depth as the story progresses.

There are also moments where I catch references to pop culture either in character names or places.I have noticed that Oda has become known for doing this and rereading earlier chapters as an adult I catch so many more 'easter eggs'. One instance would be the El Chavo character references. There is no way a kid in Japan (or UK/USA) born after 1995 would know that reference to a Mexican comedy sitcom that finished in 1980. Those references are purely for Oda and his older readers and I really have come to appreciate that.

Well, that’s my contribution I hope it wasn’t too long winded. :shifty:
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

No worries, Carol Cisne, you're not super late! Of course, you can share. :) I love when there are books that stay with you for several years. It makes going back to them so much more special (mine was/is Harry Potter).

One Piece does sound like one that could be fun for many. It's great when pop culture is thrown in a text; my dad LOVES El Chavo, :lol: That's so funny that in this Manga El Chavo would be referenced!

Thank you for sharing! :D
Heidi

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

A little late, but I finished Romulus.
I enjoyed it and plan to read more in the series, BUT it just doesn't measure up to some of my other series. I only rated it a 2 out of 4.

The first volume establishes that a cult is trying to destroy/remake the world, and a few members (namely some of their assassins) have decided to foil their plans.

The characters are likable enough, and the story is interesting. Maybe the characters will develope as the story moves forward, and the plot will gain a bit more depth. It certainly has the potential.

Fingers crossed!

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

That's great that you finished Romulus, Gravy! But, it's too bad that it didn't measure up to other things you're reading.

I think it's awesome that you are planning on continuing the series even though it could have been better. Most times, I end up giving up if I wasn't a fan of the first in a series, but it looks like there are positives to this series. Good luck on the rest of the series being better!

Thank you for sharing! :)
Heidi

Return to “September 2017 Genre Discussion”