Women Problems

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Re: Women Problems

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I personally feel men and women compliment each other perfectly. Where men are weak, women are strong and vice versa. When we compete with each other, no one wins. We need to honor and appreciate the accomplishments of men and build them up so they will want to appreciate and build us up as well. Humanity united is unbeatable!
AnanyaAk
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Origin</a>
Currently Reading: Magic Forged
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananyaak.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by AnanyaAk »

"Women problems" essentially arise from mindset and root culture. It's not just that women are hardly ever seen as superior to men, but it's that we are not even seen as equals in most cases! It's gradually changing now, with exemplary women becoming powerful and gaining success. However, we still have a long way to go.
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

One I only really grasped recently was the way women and girls are taught to constantly protect men's feelings.

If he's lonely and he asks you out, you should give him a chance even if you don't like him, just because it would hurt his feelings if you didn't.

If he has a temper problem, you should be careful not to provoke him.

If he hurt you, but you know he meant well, you shouldn't bring it up, because that would hurt him. It's your job to hurt so he won't have to.

When I was sexually assaulted, the thought that went through my head was, "I should say no, or stop, or yell fire or something. But if I do, I'll be defining this situation as something 'rapey,' and...well, it isn't rape, anyway. He's making a mistake, but I'm sure he doesn't mean it. I don't want to hurt him by implying that making me touch him and not letting go is comparable to rape. I'll just wait until he realizes what he's doing and stops on his own."

Women just take it on themselves to manage men's emotions for them. We build this protective little fantasy world around them where their actions have less severe consequences than they should, and more people like them than really do, and their jokes get laughed at more than they deserve, and they're given the benefit of the doubt more often than they deserve.

And when we decide to stop, and the cushions fall away, it's treated as cruelty.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I hear you, Rebeccaej! I am sorry that you had to endure what you did. That doesn't mean it has to go on. We all deserve love, respect and understanding. Equally.
popanthony
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by popanthony »

I do not believe women are superior to men. I only believe we should unite and accept the fact that neither are superior nor inferior, it is just the way both gender deal deals with similar or different situations that best defines their weakness and strengths.
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

At my workplace the men are treated as the much stronger individuals. I lift weights so they're incorrect. Half of the men there do not even exercise so I cannot comprehend my co-workers' thought processes but oh well. I imagine this is an issue for other women out there as well who are treated as less strong and athletic as their male counterparts.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html

Post by Rebeccaej »

vaz222 wrote:At my workplace the men are treated as the much stronger individuals. I lift weights so they're incorrect. Half of the men there do not even exercise so I cannot comprehend my co-workers' thought processes but oh well. I imagine this is an issue for other women out there as well who are treated as less strong and athletic as their male counterparts.
Oh god this, yes. I worked a job for a while where we were expected to pack our work into boxes and then leave them for the men to carry 15 feet and stack.

No.

I put my own boxes on the stack, and every time I did, the other women would dart around me and yelp about how I was going to hurt myself. I couldn't stand it, but sitting still all day was worse.
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

I think there has a been an increased exposure of gender equality, but it's reality is being reluctant. Culture determine how we live and interact with others. Unfortunately, cultures often get precedence over all policy recommendations because people grew up practicing them, and passed them over to their offspring, making it difficult to alter them to harbor more sensibility to gender equality and other inequality issues. Women's problems may not fade anytime soon, but that doesn't mean we should fold our hands and do nothing about it. We need to be strong mentally, psychologically, and physically too, and brace ourselves as we face such predicaments.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Let's be honest, if something that happens monthly to women happened to men, we'd never hear the last of it!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

CommMayo wrote:I think we still have really far to go. I thought I had equality in the workplace, but found out I was making much less money than my less qualified coworkers. I was then laid off after bringing up my concerns about sexism. The problem is that these allegations are so hard to prove that it isn't worth pursuing. That is the same reason I never reported being sexually assaulted by a coworker at another job. The burden of proof is always on the woman.
I can't say I'm surprised. Yes, the burden is always on the woman to prove, and it is always almost impossible to prove. I think the problem begins from the home. Where I come from, the idea of 'ladies first' rarely applies. We're taught, as women, to put all the men first in our lives. Yet, nobody teaches the men to put the women first. I intend to make a difference in my own home. I hope to teach my children to put others first as a humane manner of living, but without reference to gender.
OldNerd

Post by OldNerd »

I think the governments of today have cut a niche in fighting against sexism or women mistreatment cultures. Especially in my country about a decade ago there used to be female genital mutilation practices in some communities but the government was able to control it completely. other communities also believed that women could not ascend to any political office- something which is no longer mentioned today. In as much as am happy to witness such progress in a society those countries which have elected even women to top political offices makes me happy the most.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

I think the majority of cultures in the world still think that a woman's place is in the kitchen. But thankfully things are gradually changing all over. I think most western cultures are doing a good job of treating women equally and giving them the right to live their lives as they see fit. But I don't know of any culture that views women as superior to men, it's not even something that I would subscribe to. I believe all genders are equal, but different.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I think prejudices against women have decreased as of late, but not really totally eradicated. Many places still think men are better than women, or that women are too weak emotionally, etc. Let's just hope that things will continue changing as they are. Even if not now, perhaps in the future, things will be fair for all genders.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I think female circumcision is the worst practiced culture.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

The circumcision of women practiced in some cultures is horrible. Also, some practices such as bartering women like commodities or treating them as a prestige symbols are also horrible.

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”