Women Problems

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Women Problems

Post by Manang Muyang »

The author suffered horrible "women problems" in her life and survived them all. Her book, aside from showing us scary physical adventures, also showcases her emotional adventures and how she handled them.

What other problems out there are unique to us women? Do some cultures still treat women as the weaker sex? Are there any places where women are superior to men?

The men who love women (that's supposed to be all men) may answer too.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

One of the things that I've heard about in other cultures that completely horrifies me that it's still done is circumcision of women. I just can't even...
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

There aren't many cultures out there where women are seen as superior to men. I do however think that times are changing and the presence of sucessful and influencial women in the media (and books like these) are empowering women to break out of the mentality that they are inferior to and incapable of doing what men can.

As the poster before me said perhaps the most horrifying practice of controlling women is by genital mutilation. There are still places in the world where women are refused an education solely beause they don't carry the X chromosome.

You might want to research "Minangkabau", "Bribri" and "Mosou" on the subject of cultures where women are "superior" to men.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

You might want to research "Minangkabau", "Bribri" and "Mosou" on the subject of cultures where women are "superior" to men.
Hi, Eelavahs-jay! Thanks for the info. Yes, I will check out these cultures. I am picturing the mythological Amazons.
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

Miriam Molina wrote:
Hi, Eelavahs-jay! Thanks for the info. Yes, I will check out these cultures. I am picturing the mythological Amazons.
No problem at all :D Minangkabau and Mosou are asian groups and Bribri is from Costa Rica :) I'm sure there are other matrilineal societies across the globe though. I'll do some additional research and let you know. There were two others but I didn't look into them much.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I agree with eelavahs-jay " times are changing and the presence of sucessful and influencial women in the media (and books like these) are empowering women to break out of the mentality that they are inferior to and incapable of doing what men can."

Fortunately, times are changing and the image of women is different nowadays. However, in some places this change is rather slow. I like books like this one where you can embrace women empowerment because these books help one way or another to the new era where women are treated fairly.
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

I agree with all comments above however I also believe most women problems are induced by fellow women for instance when you go to places where female genital mutilation are, it's elderly women in society who ensure that the young one surely go through such ordeals
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

I am yet to see a culture that women are superior to men.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I believe there is a village in Africa made for and run by women who want to escape domestic violence and want to have more rights.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I think we still have really far to go. I thought I had equality in the workplace, but found out I was making much less money than my less qualified coworkers. I was then laid off after bringing up my concerns about sexism. The problem is that these allegations are so hard to prove that it isn't worth pursuing. That is the same reason I never reported being sexually assaulted by a coworker at another job. The burden of proof is always on the woman.

-- 26 Oct 2017, 22:24 --
Star88 wrote:I believe there is a village in Africa made for and run by women who want to escape domestic violence and want to have more rights.
I saw a video about this village. Very cool-we need one in every country!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, CommMayo! You were fired (okay, laid off, though I don't appreciate the difference) for bringing up your concerns about sexism? That is absolutely despicable.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I can't prove it, but a close coworker (old supervisor/friend) pretty much confirmed it. He was pissed too and was told to "get over it, she isn't coming back." I've since found a better job I love, which is with a fire department and oddly, much less sexist.
henna sonum rajpoot
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henna-sonum-rajpoot.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by henna sonum rajpoot »

I wonder what horrible problems she might be suffering, in case i would know them all. But i agree to her in this respect because women suffer more problems as compared to men by large. Problems like lack of free will in decision making, harrasment at workplace and hurdles in setting out career oriented life are still common among many cultures and socities. I think, arizona might be suitable enough for women to live with freedom.
powergirl
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by powergirl »

In some countries,the man remains the boss and the woman the servant.Anyway women have rights but they ar not given them because men cannot accept that a woman is superior to them.Even if she studied and have a PHD.This is reality and not facts.I think sexual harassment is another problem faced by women nowadays in schools,works anywhere.
"To be or not to be that's the question" William Shakespeare
Valton
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valton.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Valton »

Whenever i get talk about woman problems it really is just so sad to hear the different problems women go through all over the world, be it domestic violence, female genital mutilation, rape, being deprived oppurtunities based on gender, all these are issues that need to be continuously addressed, but as women we should be the ones in the forefront to fight 'women problems'.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”