What's your closest encounter with wildlife?

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
sramirez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: What's your closest encounter with wildlife?

Post by sramirez » 10 Feb 2018, 09:38

My closest encounter with wildlife was a raccoon , we were cutting a tree in my house then was a family of raccoons inside, cutting the tree mama raccoon jumped from the other side of the tree was very close to me I jumped too I was very scared, raccoon ran away

Eileen R
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 34
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Eileen R » 18 Mar 2018, 04:03

I went for a trip to the Nairobi National Park and I was fortunate enough to get up close to a lion. It was the best experience ever!

Zain A Blade
2018 Reading Goal: 600
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 3
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Zain A Blade » 12 Apr 2018, 11:24

Oooh, yours was one frightening experience. I can relate because a lion almost mauled me at a zoo in Nigeria. I was young and fearless (or just crazy), I breached their safety protocol and decided to cross the metal bars to get a close up shot of a lioness. The only thing between me and the lioness was a flimsy wired fence. The shock of my camera's flashlights irritated the lioness and she came at me, lurching at the fence that separated us. All of a sudden it occurred to me that to a lion I am nothing but prey. I ran as fast as I could to the exit, because I knew without doubt that another lurch at the fence will completely bring it down. If the wired fence had given way before I got out, I would have made headline news that day as he second person mauled by a lion in that same zoo. The first one was a caretaker who forgot to lock the gate to the lion's den while feeding them.

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 522
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 13 Apr 2018, 18:54

Zain A Blade wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 11:24
Oooh, yours was one frightening experience. I can relate because a lion almost mauled me at a zoo in Nigeria. I was young and fearless (or just crazy), I breached their safety protocol and decided to cross the metal bars to get a close up shot of a lioness. The only thing between me and the lioness was a flimsy wired fence. The shock of my camera's flashlights irritated the lioness and she came at me, lurching at the fence that separated us. All of a sudden it occurred to me that to a lion I am nothing but prey. I ran as fast as I could to the exit, because I knew without doubt that another lurch at the fence will completely bring it down. If the wired fence had given way before I got out, I would have made headline news that day as he second person mauled by a lion in that same zoo. The first one was a caretaker who forgot to lock the gate to the lion's den while feeding them.
Apparently, the caretaker didn't take care. And you, daring photographer, are something else. I wonder if you would have enjoyed your pictures had you been mauled by that angry lioness. I'm glad you escaped unscathed. And wiser?

Cswrawr
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1014
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Cswrawr » 13 Apr 2018, 19:02

I haven't had any encounters with animals quite as exotic as the ones in the book, however, once while I was out hiking I came around a turn on the trail and saw that a fence was down and there were a bunch of cows out. I didn't expect that nor did I expect, on closer inspection, the coyote sitting among them watching me. :shock: I stepped backwards back into the trees, pulled out my phone, stepped out again, took a photo, turned around and hiked the other way.
And last summer while camping a bear walked through our site in the middle of the night, that was cool.

atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by atonykamau » 16 Apr 2018, 08:48

I really haven't had that much of an encounter with wildlife because I've lived most of my life in the city.

Zain A Blade
2018 Reading Goal: 600
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 3
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Zain A Blade » 16 Apr 2018, 09:02

Miriam Molina wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 18:54
Zain A Blade wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 11:24
Apparently, the caretaker didn't take care. And you, daring photographer, are something else. I wonder if you would have enjoyed your pictures had you been mauled by that angry lioness. I'm glad you escaped unscathed. And wiser?
Any wiser? Well, I must say that the fear of lions is still in me. That should be enough to keep me wary of all predators going forward.

Clinical1
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 » 22 Apr 2018, 12:34

When camping in the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania, we heard of bear sightings. Some of the trees in our campground showed sign of bear scratches. We didn't see any, thankfully.

jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez » 23 Apr 2018, 09:57

I've seen lions and tigers when we visited the zoo once. They allow you to take pictures with tigers. I couldn't even force a smile while standing beside the tiger, but my companions enjoyed the experience.

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”