Which is more cruel desert or sea

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Re: Which is more cruel desert or sea

Post by jennyd2003 »

The desert would be more cruel. It would take days for it to take you should you give up. If you were in the sea it would be much faster should you decide to give up easily. I'm not sure which would be less terrifying as you know the end is coming soon though.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I think the desert would be more painful because it'll be nothing but torture to starve and die from a heat stroke. At least, at sea, you can fish.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Barbiedole
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbiedole.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Barbiedole »

They're both cruel. On one hand, you can get food from the sea but no water. And on the other hand, you may be lucky with water on the dessert but everywhere is too dry for food. Although it can be extremely harsh at the dessert
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

I am more afraid of the sea, so I'd prefer to be trapped on a desert than the sea. But I really hope it wil not happen.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Both will surely kill me, one quickly, the other slowly. I hope I 'll face neither when my time is up. I'd rather go in my sleep on a comfortable bed. My, this is a spooky topic!
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I think desert is more cruel than sea. A person can survive in the sea but hot temperatures of deserts are impossible to survive.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Nick Rones
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nick-rones.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Nick Rones »

I think I would rather go for the desert. Your chances for food and water seem better.

You can find water in some plants. I think it would be psychologically straining to be surrounded by water that you cannot drink!
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Georgialouise
Currently Reading: The Watchmaker’s Doctor
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgialouise.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Georgialouise »

I think the desert would be more unforgiving than the sea. In the sea, you can find a quick death if you really want but, in the desert, I think it would be much slower and more agonizing, slowly fading into death.
stephenongia
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by stephenongia »

...i think the depth of their cruelty depends on one's ability,means and mental capacity to survive in these hostile settings... an ultimate survivor trained on the hostilities of the desert and sea will surely be equipped to escape the vagaries of the hostilities of both...however, to cast a man who's ill experienced in desert life is to throw fish out of water...he won't last and neither will a goat live in the Atlantic...
hebcandle
Currently Reading: The Crane
Bookshelf Size: 1222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hebcandle.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: B00AGAS6XW

Post by hebcandle »

I think the sea is worst than the desert but I also have a fear of water and drowning. I can't help but imagine being adrift at sea, surrounded by all that water and not a drop to drink. If you've had survival/outdoor training, you can find food and water in a desert although the extreme temperatures are an issue there too.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I think the sea is crueler. Imagine dying of thirst surrounded by water. Nightmare!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Ana Njeri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-njeri.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ana Njeri »

I don't think I can choose which is crueler. To me they are both equal in ferocity and I wouldn't want to be trapped in either of them.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that's not what ships are for. So be the person outside the box, get out of your comfort zone, that's the person you want to be.
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html

Post by Cloe101 »

Whichever I land on first, ahaha
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
JadeK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadek.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JadeK »

These are on opposite sides of the spectrum. Both can be terrible, and both can kill you in a variety of horrible ways. I think they are equal for death so as far as cruel goes I think it is a pretty fair tie.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

Very interesting question. Both appear cruel but I believe the chance of survival in the desert is higher than the sea in case any unplanned circumstance arise

For example, in the desert, potential threats could be lack of water, getting lost or some wild animal attacks/snake attacks. All which I personally think can be avoided/preplanned for. Pack loads of water, use a nomad guide/don't wander into unexplored territory without a guide, and learn techniques to kill a snake etc.

For the sea, the raging winds or waves can flip over the ship or a whale attack can harm the ship and there would be very little that you can do. plus, in the sea, you have a great limitation of being restricted to the ship, if you are not in the ship (and in the water), you could either drown, be attacked by sharks or freeze whic I believe are options that are hard to resolve/ overcome or avoid if the situation forces it.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”