Are challenges needed for growth and success

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.


View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
Post Reply
User avatar
Debbyemi
Posts: 139
Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 03:36
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Re: Are challenges needed for growth and success

Post by Debbyemi » 29 Sep 2017, 02:45

Reuben 92 wrote:Challenges give added sweetness to success, so in that sense I think challenges can really help to drive a person onward. People can succeed in various fields without facing much in the way of challenges, but I think success in the things that really matter always involves overcoming challenges to some degree.
Exactly, You just nailed.

-- 29 Sep 2017, 02:51 --
Doaa Wael wrote:Definitely! Getting out of our comfort zone is one of the core factors contributing to personal growth and transformation. body at rest tends to stay at rest. We as humans are often unwilling or rather, reluctant to get out of our comfort zone so life, the best teacher, forces us to learn and grow by throwing in challenges at us that we are forced to face and deal with. When we are faced with a challenge, we start to use numerous sets of skills, therefore refining and enhancing it, for example, analytical skills, problem-solving skills, emotional mastery and control, patience, strong-will and developing a "never give up" mentality. Moreover, overcoming challenges not only teaches us something new about the potential of our capabilities, but it also boosts our self-esteem, as we unravel how we are able to overcome hardships and gain confidence that we will tackle future issues with such expertise and profession.

We can certainly grow without facing challenges, perhaps through reading or learning from the experiences of others, but definitely, experiencing the lesson first hand and overcoming it is totally different from knowing it in theory only.
Exactly Doaa Wael. Still practicing getting out of my comfort zone. Thanks.

User avatar
BoyLazy
Posts: 808
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 23:01
2018 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy » 29 Sep 2017, 04:10

I strongly believe that challenges are required. They give you the required motivation to fight against it and the joy of winning over the challenge is uncomparable.
Without challenges, in our lives we get too comfortable and don't take risks.

User avatar
meteku4
Posts: 244
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 16:16
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 » 30 Sep 2017, 12:28

Yes, there is no doubt that challenges help us to grow. But there are also many people who would always want to avoid challenges, which indeed are unavoidable in this life, probably because they fear pain, defeat, mistakes, etc. But I think we all need to develop problem solving skills that will help us face challenges squarely.

User avatar
Mjgarrison
Posts: 338
Joined: 30 Aug 2017, 10:38
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjgarrison.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Mjgarrison » 02 Oct 2017, 08:48

I think that is definitely true. The challenges I have faced in life have made me stronger and more able to adapt as I face new ones.

User avatar
Job Njoroge
Posts: 156
Joined: 20 Jun 2017, 09:35
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge » 02 Oct 2017, 09:11

Challenges are part of our daily life hence one must accept that and overcome them to succeed

User avatar
Debbyemi
Posts: 139
Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 03:36
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Debbyemi » 03 Oct 2017, 04:53

BoyLazy wrote:I strongly believe that challenges are required. They give you the required motivation to fight against it and the joy of winning over the challenge is uncomparable.
Without challenges, in our lives we get too comfortable and don't take risks.
So true. "Without challenges, in our lives we get too comfortable and don't take risks."

-- 03 Oct 2017, 04:54 --
meteku4 wrote:Yes, there is no doubt that challenges help us to grow. But there are also many people who would always want to avoid challenges, which indeed are unavoidable in this life, probably because they fear pain, defeat, mistakes, etc. But I think we all need to develop problem solving skills that will help us face challenges squarely.
Problem solving skills is actually a must have for every one. Thanks.

-- 03 Oct 2017, 04:55 --
Mjgarrison wrote:I think that is definitely true. The challenges I have faced in life have made me stronger and more able to adapt as I face new ones.
Thanks for the personal experience, I can relate.

-- 03 Oct 2017, 04:56 --
Job Njoroge wrote:Challenges are part of our daily life hence one must accept that and overcome them to succeed
So true, acceptance is key.

User avatar
ellieonline03
Posts: 502
Joined: 07 Jul 2016, 02:16
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 28
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 337
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Location: Philippines

Post by ellieonline03 » 03 Oct 2017, 06:36

I believe challenges are needed for growth and success. After all, experience is the best teacher. However, there should be an exception to the rule. For example, you can learn from the mistakes of others. Learning from those should be taken as a challenge as well. It does not have to be you who should undergo the hardship to learn.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

User avatar
Debbyemi
Posts: 139
Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 03:36
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Debbyemi » 03 Oct 2017, 07:21

ellieonline03 wrote:I believe challenges are needed for growth and success. After all, experience is the best teacher. However, there should be an exception to the rule. For example, you can learn from the mistakes of others. Learning from those should be taken as a challenge as well. It does not have to be you who should undergo the hardship to learn.
So true, It's good to learn from our mistake, it's better to learn from the mistake of others.

User avatar
Clinician
Posts: 1
Joined: 03 Oct 2017, 00:20
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Clinician » 03 Oct 2017, 15:16

To me, No Challenges, No life! I mean, challenges are inseparable part of life. Take it Or leave it.

User avatar
Excitedreads
Posts: 418
Joined: 29 Jun 2017, 09:12
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads » 03 Oct 2017, 18:40

I certainly believe that challenges are the secrets to growth and success.
"Challenges are what make life interesting, overcoming them is what makes life meaningful." James L. Marune

Challenges brew strength and character. Strength and character are the backbones of growth and success.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...

User avatar
beninspirationals
Posts: 1
Joined: 04 Oct 2017, 04:09
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by beninspirationals » 04 Oct 2017, 06:43

When you find out you are going through life without challenges, you should probably try and wake up, it is only but a dream!

Champions are made from challenges! No challenge, no winning, so challenges are part of life, what you will become is highly depending on how you daily handle challenges!

User avatar
Debbyemi
Posts: 139
Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 03:36
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Debbyemi » 04 Oct 2017, 12:06

beninspirationals wrote:When you find out you are going through life without challenges, you should probably try and wake up, it is only but a dream!

Champions are made from challenges! No challenge, no winning, so challenges are part of life, what you will become is highly depending on how you daily handle challenges!
Wow, love this. "When you find out you are going through life without challenges, you should probably try and wake up, it is only but a dream!".

-- 04 Oct 2017, 12:09 --
Clinician wrote:To me, No Challenges, No life! I mean, challenges are inseparable part of life. Take it Or leave it.
Wow, love your bluntness.

-- 04 Oct 2017, 12:10 --
Excitedreads wrote:I certainly believe that challenges are the secrets to growth and success.
"Challenges are what make life interesting, overcoming them is what makes life meaningful." James L. Marune

Challenges brew strength and character. Strength and character are the backbones of growth and success.
Thanks for the wonderful quote.

User avatar
gb eng
Posts: 1
Joined: 05 Oct 2017, 03:49
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gb eng » 05 Oct 2017, 04:16

absolutely needed, nobody becomes successful with out overcoming the challenges.

User avatar
esthersamone
Posts: 18
Joined: 03 Oct 2017, 02:31
2017 Reading Goal: 2
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 225

Post by esthersamone » 05 Oct 2017, 05:00

challenges are vital in growth. That said however, life without them is something I would desire.

User avatar
Walterevws
Posts: 20
Joined: 03 Jul 2017, 12:52
2017 Reading Goal: 457
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walterevws.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Walterevws » 05 Oct 2017, 06:07

Success without challenges is a walk over, walk overs are not interesting at all.You can compare it with a win in which your opponent surrendered, its not a particularly sweet victory.

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”