Are challenges needed for growth and success

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Are challenges needed for growth and success

Post by mumoscar »

No growth happens without challenges because to be successful you must overcome an obstacle. Yes challenges are needed for growth.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Debbyemi »

mumoscar wrote:No growth happens without challenges because to be successful you must overcome an obstacle. Yes challenges are needed for growth.
Very well said, challenges are needed for growth.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Zelinda »

Even though I think that challenges are essential in order to grow, I'm not sure that success is dependent upon them. I know of too many "successful" man-children to understand that challenges were ever a factor in their lives. I guess you'd have to define growth and success also. I'm seeing growth as maturity, introspection, compassion, love. If success means having a rich emotional life because of that kind of growth, then I would say it's necessary for success also.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Zelinda wrote:Even though I think that challenges are essential in order to grow, I'm not sure that success is dependent upon them. I know of too many "successful" man-children to understand that challenges were ever a factor in their lives. I guess you'd have to define growth and success also. I'm seeing growth as maturity, introspection, compassion, love. If success means having a rich emotional life because of that kind of growth, then I would say it's necessary for success also.
Wow, that's a nice perspective you are bring to light now. I want to say success should encompass both rich emotional life and financial stability.
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

I think that challenges can help a person to grow faster, but I don't think that they are necessary for growth. I think a person has the ability to become a better person through good experiences, as well as through challenging times.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Rachel1019 wrote:I think that challenges can help a person to grow faster, but I don't think that they are necessary for growth. I think a person has the ability to become a better person through good experiences, as well as through challenging times.
So true Rachel1019. If life is all about challenges, life might become boring. Good experiences are also needed to spies it up.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I think without challenges it is easy to just coast through life, doing things the easy way, not having to make any changes or adaptations. Challenges help us grow and to learn more about ourselves.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Christina O Phillips wrote:I think without challenges it is easy to just coast through life, doing things the easy way, not having to make any changes or adaptations. Challenges help us grow and to learn more about ourselves.
Thanks Christina O Phillips. You just simplified it.
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Atabon Della »

They are not only needed, they are inevitable. I don't think any one can say that they went through life successfully without facing any challenges, it's not possible. So yes, challenges are a stepping stone to success. They prepare you for your best.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Rebecca Henderson
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-henderson.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rebecca Henderson »

Challenges are definitely needed for growth and success! If you aren't making mistakes, you're not growing, and if you're not growing, you're dead! Everyone has a ton to learn in this life and it's best if we respect that and help each other out. It doesn't do any good to expect others to automatically know what they are supposed to do and assume they know what is necessary. Communication is key to growth and success as well. Communicating progress and updates on knowledge freshens the memory and keeps everyone on their toes.

Now if you aren't implementing the changes necessary to grow and succeed, you're really just acting in your own disinterest. Work for yourself, and push yourself, rather than stay stagnant. Be okay with making mistakes!
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Rebecca Henderson wrote:Challenges are definitely needed for growth and success! If you aren't making mistakes, you're not growing, and if you're not growing, you're dead! Everyone has a ton to learn in this life and it's best if we respect that and help each other out. It doesn't do any good to expect others to automatically know what they are supposed to do and assume they know what is necessary. Communication is key to growth and success as well. Communicating progress and updates on knowledge freshens the memory and keeps everyone on their toes.

Now if you aren't implementing the changes necessary to grow and succeed, you're really just acting in your own disinterest. Work for yourself, and push yourself, rather than stay stagnant. Be okay with making mistakes!
You just nailed it. "If you aren't making mistakes, you're not growing, and if you're not growing, you're dead!".
:D

-- 22 Sep 2017, 03:20 --
Atabon Della wrote:They are not only needed, they are inevitable. I don't think any one can say that they went through life successfully without facing any challenges, it's not possible. So yes, challenges are a stepping stone to success. They prepare you for your best.
So true. We need challenges to spore us up.
Sasha Walker
Currently Reading: The Lies of Locke Lamora
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-walker.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sasha Walker »

To say that challenges are NEEDED in order to obtain success implies that being challenged is a cause of success. Many people are successful without significant challenge or hardship. However, I would argue challenges are needed for growth. The people who are successful without trying usually do not grow. Take the current American president for example. He obtained financial success with ease by cutting corners and using others. Although he completed his goals he actually degraded himself as a person and is still an undeveloped, unintelligent, and incompassionate man.
So I would amend the statement to this: Challenges are the nutrients that enable a person to grow on their journey to success.
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

I don't agree that for you to succeed you must pass challenges. Many people have succeeded with limited or no challenges. But I must agree that life is not a smooth Road, there are slopes and hills. As my teacher used to tell me, "The bigger the struggle, the greater the success and hence its value and honour it bestows on you". Those who struggling a lot seems to have greater success.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
hebcandle
Currently Reading: The Crane
Bookshelf Size: 1222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hebcandle.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: B00AGAS6XW

Post by hebcandle »

I think challenges can teach you a lot about yourself and lend to your personal growth. Whether that leads to success would be up to the individual.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

Yes, I feel like in most cases they are needed. Most people dont grow if they are comfortable,because then they feel as if there is no need to advance and be better.

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”