Does Africa have the richest cultural heritage

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Does Africa have the richest cultural heritage

Post by Debbyemi »

I have met a lot of Africans who feel and assume Africa has the richest cultural heritage as compared to other continents.
I am African, I believe we have lots of cultural heritage but I would not just like to assume we have the richest as I haven't had a first hand experience of other continent. What are your thoughts about that?
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

That is an interesting question. There are so many different cultures in Africa. Morocco and Egypt are different from each other but with some similarities, such as religion. South Africa is completely different from either of those countries. There are just so many countries in Africa, with similarities and differences. There are certainly rich cultural heritages in them but I think every country has something in it's past that people from there would consider "rich".
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

CatInTheHat wrote:That is an interesting question. There are so many different cultures in Africa. Morocco and Egypt are different from each other but with some similarities, such as religion. South Africa is completely different from either of those countries. There are just so many countries in Africa, with similarities and differences. There are certainly rich cultural heritages in them but I think every country has something in it's past that people from there would consider "rich".
Exactly, I believe very country has something great to offer its occupants, we only need to be there to consider it rich. thanks for the highlights.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I think African culture is dying real fast as we modernise our infrastructures and lives. I feel the continent with the most retained culture is Asia
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:I think African culture is dying real fast as we modernise our infrastructures and lives. I feel the continent with the most retained culture is Asia
I really can't say if it's dying real fast but it is sure dying, what can be done to preserve it, we should not allow it die away. I don't know much about the Asian culture so I can't comment on that. Thanks for dropping by.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Debbyemi wrote:
geoffrey ngoima wrote:I think African culture is dying real fast as we modernise our infrastructures and lives. I feel the continent with the most retained culture is Asia
I really can't say if it's dying real fast but it is sure dying, what can be done to preserve it, we should not allow it die away. I don't know much about the Asian culture so I can't comment on that. Thanks for dropping by.
Asian culture is the least polluted...
You're welcome
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:
Debbyemi wrote:
Asian culture is the least polluted...
You're welcome
Wow, that's good to know. Thanks.
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

Africa speaks some 600 or so languages. However, Papua New Guinea has over 800 distinct tribes. I think PNG is the most culturally diverse in the world.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Alicnim wrote:Africa speaks some 600 or so languages. However, Papua New Guinea has over 800 distinct tribes. I think PNG is the most culturally diverse in the world.
Wow, that's great to know, thanks for stopping by Alicnim.
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

"East or west, home is the best". There is a saying that you may eat food from different chefs but that feeling that your mother cooks best always surfaces. As an African I will promote my culture, but I can not speak for an Indian, Brazilian or a Jamaican. Every nation has a cultural practice they embrace.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I don't know if I'll day it's the richest. Only because there are so many different cultures in our world that are rich too.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

mumoscar wrote:"East or west, home is the best". There is a saying that you may eat food from different chefs but that feeling that your mother cooks best always surfaces. As an African I will promote my culture, but I can not speak for an Indian, Brazilian or a Jamaican. Every nation has a cultural practice they embrace.
So true :D

-- 08 Sep 2017, 05:33 --
Amagine wrote:I don't know if I'll day it's the richest. Only because there are so many different cultures in our world that are rich too.
Exactly. there are so many different cultures in our world. we only need to be there to know how rich.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I think it's relative. Every country prides themselves on their heritage and history and none of them are poorer than the other.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Lest92 wrote:I think it's relative. Every country prides themselves on their heritage and history and none of them are poorer than the other.
Exactly my thought Lest92, I believe all heritage are rich. You only have to experience it to know the value.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Debbyemi wrote:
Lest92 wrote:I think it's relative. Every country prides themselves on their heritage and history and none of them are poorer than the other.
Exactly my thought Lest92, I believe all heritage are rich. You only have to experience it to know the value.
I also think learning about other cultures enriches you - one becomes more appreciative of other people if one knows their history.

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”