Facts and misconceptions of Africa you/someone you know has

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
Bettychi55
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettychi55.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Facts and misconceptions of Africa you/someone you know has

Post by Bettychi55 »

I once meet a young Australian scientist in a hotel near our home who's father kept calling and asking her to return since he believed Africa is a dark continent with nothing but uncivilized people, wild animals, forest and diseases. He was actually worried for her safety. She kept arguing almost in vain that the direct opposite of his beliefs are the realities of the continent. Have you ever met someone who thinks this way, or do you have this perception.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

I know of people who think that way too. But most that came to visit have been positively surprised.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Misconception: Everybody is black
Truth: nope

Misconception: Wild animals everywhere
Truth: In certain places there are some wild animals such as deer and monkeys, but really dangerous animals are mostly in nature reserves. (This is true about South Africa, I can't verify for other countries)

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I know many people who think Africa is all tribal societies living in mud huts and hunting animals. Not everybody is aware that there are huge metropolitan cities in Africa, like Johannesburg or Cape Town.
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

I am disappointed by the misconception that everyone in Africa sort of knows each other. I honestly wish those who maintain such a notion would realise Africa is a vast continent with so many countries and diverse cultures. Not so much the 'dark continent' that it is thought to be.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

There are a lot of people with misconceptions about different places. That's why it is important to do your research before you form an opinion.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:Misconception: Everybody is black
Truth: nope

Misconception: Wild animals everywhere
Truth: In certain places there are some wild animals such as deer and monkeys, but really dangerous animals are mostly in nature reserves. (This is true about South Africa, I can't verify for other countries)
This is true about Nigeria as well.

-- 06 Sep 2017, 16:33 --
Miss_BeckyG wrote:I am disappointed by the misconception that everyone in Africa sort of knows each other. I honestly wish those who maintain such a notion would realise Africa is a vast continent with so many countries and diverse cultures. Not so much the 'dark continent' that it is thought to be.
You're right! It offends me that people genuinely think that everyone in Africa knows each other. I've watched videos where people have called Africa a country rather than an entire continent. Africa, like America, is so diverse and intriguing. They have these notions because of the information they are usually exposed to. Still, we're in the digital age and people can easily confirm the validity of the information they receive.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Amagine wrote:There are a lot of people with misconceptions about different places. That's why it is important to do your research before you form an opinion.

Yes, Amagine. it is very important one does some research before an opinion is formed. The truth is, we are all guilty of this error. I have held certain ideas about peoples and places which got punctured either positively or negatively when I visited those places and interacted with their peoples.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
DShore
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dshore.html

Post by DShore »

I think some people think that it's just a horrible, filthy place. While some may still agree with that after research, you can find all of the wonders in the country from a neutral perspective.
Soumeg
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soumeg.html
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens

Post by Soumeg »

Bettychi55 wrote:I once meet a young Australian scientist in a hotel near our home who's father kept calling and asking her to return since he believed Africa is a dark continent with nothing but uncivilized people, wild animals, forest and diseases. He was actually worried for her safety. She kept arguing almost in vain that the direct opposite of his beliefs are the realities of the continent. Have you ever met someone who thinks this way, or do you have this perception.

This is so absurd. It usually happens when people think they are advanced but are still in the previous era of time.

-- 07 Sep 2017, 04:15 --
Amagine wrote:There are a lot of people with misconceptions about different places. That's why it is important to do your research before you form an opinion.
I liked the quote of Jhumpa Lahiri. It was apt for the topic.

-- 07 Sep 2017, 04:17 --

I had friends in my university who used to tell that African people do not wash their hair for months because of the way they style it.
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block

Post by jwalker73 »

I think Africa is like all countries/continents. They have their good aspects and their bad aspects. All countries have their areas that are unsafe, just like they all have beautiful places. Same with people - some are good, some are not. If you look for negativity anywhere in life, you are sure to find something to support your belief. The diversity is what makes up the world and makes it interesting. Each place should be taken for what it is and admired for its positives.
Mosubi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mosubi.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Mosubi »

Unfortunately, many people have no idea that Africa is a very beautiful continent. Few misconceptions don't change the facts.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Steph K wrote:I know many people who think Africa is all tribal societies living in mud huts and hunting animals. Not everybody is aware that there are huge metropolitan cities in Africa, like Johannesburg or Cape Town.
That's a sad statement on their educations! No one should get out of high school thinking such a thing.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Juliet Esther »

I'm from Africa,Kenya to be precise so i should know of all the misconceptions ignorant people have. One is they think that Africa is one big jungle and Africans live with the monkeys and stuff, another one I've heard times and times before is that all Africans are hungry and suffering, another one is that Africans are ignorant people and you can easily dupe them, and also that Africans are filled with diseases and when you land in Africa you're likely to be immediately infected with those deadly diseases. There are so very many misconceptions I've heard but i cant mention them all here some of them really make me angry and i do wonder that with all these technology,internet,education and stuff why would someone still think like that? Anyways some people from other continents who have visited African countries really loved it and learned a lot. P.S i would never judge any country or continent that i have never visited before,i would love to travel far and beyond some day then make my judgements later
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Ljessup
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljessup.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Ljessup »

DShore wrote:I think some people think that it's just a horrible, filthy place. While some may still agree with that after research, you can find all of the wonders in the country from a neutral perspective.
I agree with you. This is what I have overheard more than anything when people are discussing Africa. That, and that all black people are from there. So many times in my life I have been told to return there, which was always met with me blankly staring back at the people who said it.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”