Facts and misconceptions of Africa you/someone you know has

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Re: Facts and misconceptions of Africa you/someone you know

Post by ladycraic »

I remember when my family showed people our house in Nigeria. They were so shocked it was not a hut, and actually a two/three (I forgot) story house.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The word "Africa" already makes me think of wildlife and jungles and tribes. I do know that there are many modern cities in Africa but the way it's portrayed in TV shows and movies still perpetuate that "untamed world" image.
DennisK
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

When ever I encounter the word, “Africa”, I think of all those starving people living in the eastern part of that continent. I also am confronted with the problem Africa has with AIDS. These are very negative impressions for which I don't think I should be blamed. Media is constantly portraying Africa as being the center of all these tragedies. I have to ask myself, why this situation is tolerated there.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

There was an extremely funny list sent to travel agents from people wanting to come to Africa, and the one that really made me laugh was when someone asked for a list of ATMs (cash points) in South Africa that they could use on their travels. It would be a looooooooong list indeed...
For a laugh you should google "A South African's guide to misguided tourists" in the Getaway magazine - there are loads of anecdotes of what has been asked to people from Africa!
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

I know many people who think Africa is wilderness filled with exotic wild animals. In reality, Africa is made up of cities and very few countries in Africa actually have wildlife. But the problem is, most westerners think Africa is one country.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I find people who have funny misconception about Africa very annoying. I felt the author tried to encourage such prejudice.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

I think these fears stem from people who are still stuck in past. I have met many people who have some preconceived notions about African, and Asian countries. But due to the advancement in technology, it's easier to prove them wrong. If not anything, at least Facebook and Instagram have made people curious about visiting new places and trying new things with an open mind.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

I am from South Africa. I live in a beautiful suburb called Strand. The wildest animal I have ever laid eyes on is my neighbour's scotch terrier who has the sole purpose of thinking he is the neighbourhood alarm clock. The City of Cape Town is about 70 kilometres from where I live. That is about 43.5 miles for those who do not understand kilometres. It is beautiful right next to the sea. With tall buildings and beautiful brick houses. We are a fully developed country with electricity. We have huge shopping malls and nice schools for our children. When I hear about other people's misconceptions of what Africa should be I find it funny. Because I know for sure I have misconceptions about other countries. We have wild open spaces like the Serengeti with its beautiful wildlife. And the Kruger National park also with beautiful wildlife. Africa is one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

Africa has a very rich cultural heritage and everyone who visits can testify to it.
DennisK
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

All these positive, glowing exhortations about Africa causes me to think that I am getting a lot of “politically correct” biases. There are always two sides of any story, and there is most definitely another side to all these glowing remarks abut Africa. My references are of Eastern Africa and South Africa and I can only thank God that I was not born there, or that I have any reason to visit there. If you want to get another view of South Africa, visit serpentza on YOUTUBE. He is a white expatriate of South Africa – from him, you will get another side of this “coin”. It ain't pretty.
:tiphat:
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

People assume Africa is one country full of animals and humans that live among them and know nothing about civilization and electricity.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Post by Hager Salem »

I live in Egypt, an African country. it's an amazing country but people usually get warnings about coming to it. I had a friend that stayed in Egypt for a while, and she always told me that people thought it was very dangerous for her to do so, but she had a terrific time here.
Agbata Charles
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

I have met alot of people that has his impressions about Africa. I just wonder what is stucked in their head
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

Some people still think Africa is a jungle.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I find it very annoying when I meet people that have misconceptions about Africa. Recently I don't care what anyone says. Africa is very beautiful, and I am proud of my continent.

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”