What kind of tourist are you/would you be?

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
Valton
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valton.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Re: What kind of tourist are you/would you be?

Post by Valton »

Am a mix as well, but am not into museums the historical part of it, i find it boring.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I think I'm more homely historical. I want to become a part of the culture. Found those small places that only the locals go to, not the obviously touristy spots. I want to know everything about the "mom and pop" places. My bucket list is to walk through the streets of London where Jack the Ripper was and go into those older pubs, then go to the ones people don't know about and hear their stories.
WendyH
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyh.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by WendyH »

I am a mix. I love great food, a little history, a little culture, but also viewing the wonderful, beautiful landscapes of other places. There is so much to see and experience in this world of ours!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Interesting question! As a tourist, I believe I could be a mixture of many things. I like harmless adventures, learning more about a culture via museums, etc. But I think "foodie" would be the most accurate description!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Oh gosh, first and foremost, I AM a tourist, and often. My husband and I love to travel. I am definitely that overbearing, schedule freak tourist...shameful I know.

We recently spent two weeks in Turkey and I created a vacation notebook to keep me on track. It began as an empty, college-ruled notebook from Walmart and ended as what I like to call: my masterpiece :D

I filled the pages with things like train schedules, printed out maps of walking routes from hotels to museums and parks, lists of restaurants with good ratings in every neighborhood we'd be in for every part of each day with times and menus pasted inside, lists of foreign consulates and phone numbers, names and numbers of taxi companies, etc etc etc....

I'm a freak and I love it :snooty:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

I'm a mix. I love to try all the ethnic foods, see all of the historical things wherever I'm at.....but I also love my creature comforts if available.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
dphelps1113
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphelps1113.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by dphelps1113 »

I would be the total foodie that would want to try any and everything he sees!
aaldaco
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaldaco.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by aaldaco »

I would be an adventure tourist. I would love to explore different places even those that are not on the usual itinerary. I would definitely go everywhere that I could while I am there.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

Based on the criteria you listed, I would identify as a foodie and museum tourist. I like to feel completely at home when I travel and love to sample the local cuisine and culture.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I'm an architectural, eco and foodie tourist. I don't really like moving that much so I don't think I'd enjoy extraneous activities. I'd just love to look around and eat.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I am like someone who likes to absorb everything about a place and eager to try new things that the place is known for.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

Yolimari wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 15:02 As a tourist, I am a fan of historical landmarks and monuments, museums, and natural spaces. I love learning about the history and culture of the places I visit. I also enjoy tasting different cuisines.
This was me. My friend and I took a trip to Paris years ago, and we did just this. It was part of our plan. There were also points where we just wandered and basically became lost. Honestly, I didn't mind, because what's better than being lost in Paris? We had only made a couple of wrong turns and weren't even walking that long. But she wasn't having it. :snooty:

I guess being "lost" didn't bother me because it wasn't even a true lost. I mean, the Eiffel Tower was still in view, so all we had to do was walk back. :?
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I'd say I'm a bit of a me personally but very heavy on the foodie. I absolutely love food. I've definitely become a bit more adventurous as I've gotten older with the food I want to sample. Bring me a bad meal and it a disappointing day. Bring me a good one and I'll rave about it every time I talk about the place I visited. I do love sightseeing as well probably because I love seeing the history of places. I've really enjoyed exploring towns and ruins. I don't get to do it often though.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

i would be a mix, i definitely want to see and experience it all.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

There are many ways to travel. I want to be the tourist that see where locals hang out and eat the authentic foods eaten in the region. On the other hand you must see all of the monuments and landmarks that the country is known for. When I travel I want to see amazing art, beautiful architecture and landscapes. I really need to get my passport and make time to explore, indulge, grow through experiences.

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”