What trauma have you overcame?

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
powergirl
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: What trauma have you overcame?

Post by powergirl »

When i was young i was traumatised by the fact that my parents always fighting and my father beat my mother.Now that i am big i always wake up in the night becasuse of nightmares and sometimes i don't want to be besides my father.He really taumatizes me.
"To be or not to be that's the question" William Shakespeare

Trixy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trixy.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Trixy »

We all have traumas, but my traumas are not really that big, probably the most important thing would be my deafness and still i have overcome it pretty well, i had learned english and spanish, i can read and write so i guess it doesn´t count haha
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

AnanyaAk
2017 Reading Goal: 4
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 225
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Origin</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananyaak.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by AnanyaAk »

We've all overcome traumas in life, some small, some large. But I prefer to think of everything I went through as a challenge and a learning to make me stronger.

Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

The one that's effected my life most is odd to talk about, because it's secondary trauma from somebody else's experience.

I am gay, and went to a fairly conservative college. I was the first person to ever publicly come out of the closet there. This was in the early 2000's, during the W. Bush years, when there were a lot of arguments about gay marriage going on in America. I wrote to the college paper to present an argument for gay marriage, and made it clear that it was a personal issue for me.

I struggle with anxiety, so, in order to do that, I had to think through the possible negative reactions I might get and mentally prepare myself for them. One was "corrective" rape. That is, rape done to the tune of "You're not really gay. You just need a real man like me to show you how it's done." I accepted the possibility, decided it was worth it, and after my letter was published, I started walking alone at night just to prove to myself that I wasn't going to let fear control me.

It happened to a friend.

I summoned lighting, and it hit my friend instead of me. It was exactly like what I'd feared, right down to, "You just need a real man..."

That school wasn't a safe place to talk about things like that. I didn't want to burden my friends when they'd already been so noble as to accept me, and I didn't trust the mental health services there to handle it respectfully, so I just kind of...swallowed all the fear and guilt I was feeling.

Ten years later it exploded back out. I was in a rough place for a while, but after it was over, I realized I had less overall anxiety and was able to connect to other people a lot better.

I've had other struggles--learning disabilities, and small amount of childhood abuse, mild sexual assault shortly after college, but that was the one that left the clearest trauma symptoms, probably because I wasn't able to process it at the time.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Kalin Adi
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 680
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I haven't had a trauma per se in life. I've had difficult situations that God, my family and friends have helped to go through and I feel glad for that.

Whitney Marchelle
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Family Trauma is one of the hardest to over come, we have so many expectations of how our mothers, fathers, siblings kids should be and when they don't, or they have faults, it's hard to deal with.

one of my close relatives was addicted to drugs. functioning until they weren't, They lied, stole and all the while always seemed to give me love and affection and encouragement. it caused a lot of trust issues down the line, always wondering if what someone says matching their actions, and being attuned to that to the nth degree. It's was definitely a trauma that formed me as a person and lasted a long time, longer than i thought it would.

vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

For this one I would have to say the deaths of my closest family members, including my mother. In 2017 alone, I have lost four people who meant a lot to me. The only thing I can do now is hope for the best in 2018. Everything will get better over time.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

MLove83
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlove83.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by MLove83 »

I've gone through plenty of hard things in my life. I was bullied and picked on a lot as a kid: by classmates, older kids, a couple of teachers, and some of my cousins. I was verbally abused by my father. I lost one of my closest friends in a car accident. I've been betrayed and rejected by people I thought were friends, struggled with infertility, and had a roller coaster of a marriage. As a result, I've dealt with poor self esteem, depression, and anxiety.

I've learned several things that have helped me. One: rely on God, trust that He has a plan for me, and continually seek a relationship with Him. Two: surround myself with positive, understanding people. Three: give myself permission to NOT spend time with anyone I don't want to be around. Four: don't be afraid to talk about my experiences because it can be therapeutic, because it helps others to understand better where I am coming from, because it makes people aware that such problems exist (helping to eliminate misconceptions), and because you never know who might have gone through something similar and needs someone who will understand THEM. Five: talk (or cry) when I need to, but not MORE than I need to. In other words, don't dwell on it. I've been guilty of fixating on figuring out why things happened and how I can change the past, and that's not healthy or productive. Six: these experiences were not my fault and I did nothing to deserve them. I DO deserve happiness and love. Seven: I AM strong enough to overcome these things, and more. Eight: find things that make me smile and do things that I enjoy. Nine: whenever I can, however I can, do things for others Ten: do not add to the trauma by belittling or harming myself. Love myself, because I'm worth it.

Recovery is not easy, it's a process. I'm not done and that's OK, as long as I don't quit.
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”