What trauma have you overcame?

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
MLove83
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlove83.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Re: What trauma have you overcame?

Post by MLove83 »

I've gone through plenty of hard things in my life. I was bullied and picked on a lot as a kid: by classmates, older kids, a couple of teachers, and some of my cousins. I was verbally abused by my father. I lost one of my closest friends in a car accident. I've been betrayed and rejected by people I thought were friends, struggled with infertility, and had a roller coaster of a marriage. As a result, I've dealt with poor self esteem, depression, and anxiety.

I've learned several things that have helped me. One: rely on God, trust that He has a plan for me, and continually seek a relationship with Him. Two: surround myself with positive, understanding people. Three: give myself permission to NOT spend time with anyone I don't want to be around. Four: don't be afraid to talk about my experiences because it can be therapeutic, because it helps others to understand better where I am coming from, because it makes people aware that such problems exist (helping to eliminate misconceptions), and because you never know who might have gone through something similar and needs someone who will understand THEM. Five: talk (or cry) when I need to, but not MORE than I need to. In other words, don't dwell on it. I've been guilty of fixating on figuring out why things happened and how I can change the past, and that's not healthy or productive. Six: these experiences were not my fault and I did nothing to deserve them. I DO deserve happiness and love. Seven: I AM strong enough to overcome these things, and more. Eight: find things that make me smile and do things that I enjoy. Nine: whenever I can, however I can, do things for others Ten: do not add to the trauma by belittling or harming myself. Love myself, because I'm worth it.

Recovery is not easy, it's a process. I'm not done and that's OK, as long as I don't quit.
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I really cannot remember overcoming any critical truma. But I have really survived and been through alot.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 22:50 I think traumas are a means of making us strong. Mine is the fear of crossing the road ever since I got hit by a car as a child. To overcome this, I had to cross empty streets repeatedly first then busy ones next. It took my 2 years.
I agree with you.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

MLove83 wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 23:45 I've gone through plenty of hard things in my life. I was bullied and picked on a lot as a kid: by classmates, older kids, a couple of teachers, and some of my cousins. I was verbally abused by my father. I lost one of my closest friends in a car accident. I've been betrayed and rejected by people I thought were friends, struggled with infertility, and had a roller coaster of a marriage. As a result, I've dealt with poor self esteem, depression, and anxiety.

I've learned several things that have helped me. One: rely on God, trust that He has a plan for me, and continually seek a relationship with Him. Two: surround myself with positive, understanding people. Three: give myself permission to NOT spend time with anyone I don't want to be around. Four: don't be afraid to talk about my experiences because it can be therapeutic, because it helps others to understand better where I am coming from, because it makes people aware that such problems exist (helping to eliminate misconceptions), and because you never know who might have gone through something similar and needs someone who will understand THEM. Five: talk (or cry) when I need to, but not MORE than I need to. In other words, don't dwell on it. I've been guilty of fixating on figuring out why things happened and how I can change the past, and that's not healthy or productive. Six: these experiences were not my fault and I did nothing to deserve them. I DO deserve happiness and love. Seven: I AM strong enough to overcome these things, and more. Eight: find things that make me smile and do things that I enjoy. Nine: whenever I can, however I can, do things for others Ten: do not add to the trauma by belittling or harming myself. Love myself, because I'm worth it.

Recovery is not easy, it's a process. I'm not done and that's OK, as long as I don't quit.
I love your response and I agree with a lot of your points especially number 4. It’s helpful to talk about your problems.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Post by Hager Salem »

I/m trying to recover from family issues, but it's not easy.
Agbata Charles
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

Wow.
I am really enjoying this comment section. I only have one trauma, and that was when I was a kid. After I was chased by a masquerade, I couldn't stand the site of wigs, and furry objects. Luckily I have overcome this trauma of mine
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

A lot of truma I have overcome.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

My biggest trauma before is traveling alone. I had it since I rode a bus alone with a mental issue. I lost myself and wanted to jump off the bus. Passengers rescued me. After that, every time I see a bus and ride it, I feel scared but God help me to overcome the trauma. It took 5 years, but now I am grateful I can travel by myself. Thanks to God.

My advice: Pray to overcome those fear. Do it again until you lose the fear. Like my phobia of traveling alone.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 598
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

To be honest I don't think a person ever get over any trauma you lived through. I think you just learn to live with it. I was a victim of Gender Based Violence (physically, mentally and emotionally) for 14 years and yes talking about it helps you to deal with it, but there is certain things that sticks. It's like everything goes fine in your life and the next minute something happens and it takes your right back to a specific horrible time in your past, which evokes various of feelings again. It depends on you as person whether you going to allow those emotions to consume you or not. That said it's not an easy task at all.... I still up until today have nightmares of my Ex☹️. Especially when things don't go as I imagined it would or some scenario makes me unhappy, that night I will fight an endless battle with my ex in my dreams. It's like anything that disappointment or hurt me is linked to that time of my life. It's rather frustrating especially since it's 13 years ago I have left him. I will however do ANTHING in my power to help someone going through this. If I can help just one person to get out of something like this, I would be so grateful.
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

Bullying.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

MLove83 wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 23:45 I've gone through plenty of hard things in my life. I was bullied and picked on a lot as a kid: by classmates, older kids, a couple of teachers, and some of my cousins. I was verbally abused by my father. I lost one of my closest friends in a car accident. I've been betrayed and rejected by people I thought were friends, struggled with infertility, and had a roller coaster of a marriage. As a result, I've dealt with poor self esteem, depression, and anxiety.

That's right. Recovery is not easy but we won't quit. We can do it. We're strong!
Jakub Bystrowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

I got over some trouble I had in school.
Malthide Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malthide-jones.html
Latest Review: that was then by bob turner

Post by Malthide Jones »

Gambling ruined me. I couldn't get over it.
Chinenye Sus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-sus.html
Latest Review: Sister B by David Charles Hart

Post by Chinenye Sus »

The trauma I have overcome is losing my mom at a very tender age.
Micheal Ukewuihe
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-ukewuihe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micheal Ukewuihe »

I think everything that scares you is a trauma and it takes awhile to overcome I’m guessing that mine would be drowning.

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”