Overall Rating and Opinion of "Bluewater Walkabout"

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Bluewater Walkabout"

Post by Manang Muyang »

I enjoyed going to Africa (and elsewhere) with the Dreffins. The read was definitely enhanced by the inclusion of the author's personal story, struggles and skills. This book is empowering, especially to women. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.
aboladeoluwatise
Currently Reading: A Throne of SoulsBook 1:A kingdom forgotten
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aboladeoluwatise.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by aboladeoluwatise »

Didn't really like it genre but because of it quality i rate it 3 of 4 stars.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Taufiqbutt8889
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Taufiqbutt8889 »

i rate it 4. the way she discussed her findings and her solutions inspired me a lot.
riri29
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by riri29 »

I will rate it 4 star. I was a good book if you want to learn more about life you will learn about the things around you that you can also apply in your life. This book is awesome and moving.
hepto
Currently Reading: Hiramic Brotherhood: Ezekiel's Temple Prophesy
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by hepto »

Bluewater Walkabout:Into Africa,I rate it 3.4 out of 4 stars.A family sails from South Africa to the Caribbean in this debut memoir.The travel bug bit Dreffin early when her mother routinely dragged her to the library. There, she fell in love with the idea of foreign lands. When she moved to Houston to become a real estate broker, she felt disconnected. She struggled to pay her bills and was sexually assaulted.

Enter Peter: the brother of her older brother’s wife who kept popping up. Dreffin carried a list of qualities she sought in a man and always felt sparks around Peter. When she met him in Florida, something clicked. He asked her to sail to the Caribbean with him, she agreed, and they began a whirlwind romance, living on a boat. In 2002, when their sons, Adam and Warren, were teenagers, she floated the idea of a family “South Pacific Expedition.” This ambitious odyssey set them on a safari followed by a sailing trip from Port Elizabeth, South Africa, to Brazil.

The journey took four months. On safari in Kruger National Park in northeastern South Africa, they spied magnificent beasts, coming close to an elephant protecting his young, a herd of 200 buffalos, and a leopard so beautiful it was like “feeling the presence of God.” After the band left Capetown, it soon headed into the ocean on a catamaran.

The family saw whales break water, braved a rogue wave that nearly threw Dreffin overboard, and visited towns full of thriving cultures. For all of the thrills of intimately exploring nature, little danger befell the group.

Dreffin’s writing is the strongest when unpacking difficult events, such as recounting the death of her daughter in utero or summoning the strength to face the rogue wave (“The demon had knocked me off my feet, leaving me in a tangle of spiraling limbs…I felt fear as never before. It segued into terror as I fought against the pull of the wave”). She crafts a touching tale of travelers at their peak, but often chooses to skim over the dramatic; she alludes to one of the boys aboard having a manic episode due to undiagnosed bipolar disorder, but shies away from describing it. While designed as a family snapshot, the account could have used more tension, elevating Dreffin’s story.It is an interesting story of a clan coming on its own on the ocean.
Zohaib imtiaz
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zohaib-imtiaz.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Zohaib imtiaz »

inspirational, moving, and totally worth 7/10...... i started to read it slowly but as the story unfolded it became more and more interesting.
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
Envision Tressy
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-envision-tressy.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Envision Tressy »

In my experience the book was worth a read
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Palfree
Currently Reading: Holly and Homiicide
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palfree.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Palfree »

I just finished the book. Overall, I found it very enjoyable. It was interesting reading about all their adventures. I especially liked the descriptions about their close up encounters with animals. The details were vivid enough that I could picture certain scenes in my mind. I did feel that the ending was rather abrupt. It made the book feel unfinished. :techie-studyinggray:
fatemeh133
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatemeh133.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by fatemeh133 »

I related to this character and became friends with her. I loved the book. There were a few places where I thought it lingered too much, but other than that, this was one awsome book!
gyugyu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gyugyu »

not able to read the book but i think its quite interesting
riojun18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by riojun18 »

Is this book worth reading for? From its title, it's quite interesting. Hehe I'll start read this tomorrow. Hope I'll like the story and the characters.
Monaatee
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monaatee.html
Latest Review: "30th century:escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by Monaatee »

I happen to have the Audiobook, firstly, the narrator, I believe she was perfect for this book. Even though I was not seeing the words, I felt like an adventurer with her. I cried at her woes and misfortune, laughed at her jokes or mimicking voices.

Certainly, a great account, makes me want to go on such an adventure too. I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars.
'Your purpose in life is to find your purpose and give your whole heart and soul to it'- Buddha

I have been bent and broken, but - i hope -into a better shape - Charles Dickens
Latest Review: "30th century:escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
boringyanks
Currently Reading: Indian Hill 3
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boringyanks.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by boringyanks »

Overall I did like the book. The land travels in Africa were interesting.
I would have liked more description of the actual sailing.
I did not like the ending very much.
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by TheWriteAngel »

I haven't read the book, but have read a few reviews of it and seems like it would be quite an interesting book. An inspirational book with an adventure element - hope to pick it up soon!
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

I love the book and rate it 3 star and would also recommend it to my friends since it is very inspirational

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”