Overall Rating and Opinion of "Bluewater Walkabout"

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Bluewater Walkabout"

Post by Christina Rose »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote:Blue water Walkabout is an amazing book. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. It was very inspirational and I found that once I started reading it it was impossible to stop. An amazing book that clearly deserves to be the book of the month.
It's always great to find a book that is difficult to put down!
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I listened to this novel via Audible. I found the book easy to get lost in while the narrator was reading. I loved following the family as it traveled to various places. This type of book is not something I normally read or listen to, but I am glad I did. I give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars and would recommend it to anyone interested in travel and life at sea as well as exploring Africa.
Madison Degraffenreid
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

I usually don't enjoy memoirs but this one seems different sort of. The reviews I read were nice
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote:Blue water Walkabout is an amazing book. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. It was very inspirational and I found that once I started reading it it was impossible to stop. An amazing book that clearly deserves to be the book of the month.
What stopped you from giving it a full 4 out of 4 stars?
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Oliver Ekaso
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-ekaso.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Oliver Ekaso »

The reviews and comments are inspiring. No, I have not read the book. Yes I will certainly do so. Thank God September is not over yet. But come to think about it adventures can be therapeutic.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

I've been thinking a lot about this book since I finished it. Additionally, some posts about the book have made me think, also. Does the author's inclusion of personal history, not integral to the travel aspect of the book, detract or add? I say it adds. Without hearing about the author's own personal travails before and during the sea-going venture, the book would just have been a mere travel book. Nothing wrong with travel books, but this was meant to be a story and that's what the author made it. The courage she showed would never have been evident if she had not revealed her fears. Her decision to persist, move forward, not be shackled by others' opinion of her made her a heroine.

-- 18 Sep 2017, 16:32 --

I've been thinking a lot about this book since I finished it. Additionally, some posts about the book have made me think, also. Does the author's inclusion of personal history, not integral to the travel aspect of the book, detract or add? I say it adds. Without hearing about the author's own personal travails before and during the sea-going venture, the book would just have been a mere travel book. Nothing wrong with travel books, but this was meant to be a story and that's what the author made it. The courage she showed would never have been evident if she had not revealed her fears. Her decision to persist, move forward, not be shackled by others' opinion of her made her a heroine.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
boringyanks
Currently Reading: Indian Hill 3
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boringyanks.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by boringyanks »

I really enjoyed this book. The wonderful vivid descriptions of a life most of us can only dream of seeing through the eyes of an author or a television documentary. I truly felt pulled into Tina's description of her life at sea with her family.
The links at the back of the book I am certain can save someone's sanity if not their life. Well done
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Riptidemom8
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riptidemom8.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Riptidemom8 »

Based on the reviews this sounds intriguing.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
LINA M-EMBER AMA
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-m-ember-ama.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by LINA M-EMBER AMA »

I have not yet read the book but the reviews make it sound interesting. A family adventure out on the open sea. Nothing short of a fantastic novel.

-- 22 Sep 2017, 17:20 --

I have not yet read the book but the reviews make it sound interesting. A family adventure out on the open sea. Nothing short of a fantastic novel.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Abdulkabir Toyyib
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Abdulkabir Toyyib »

I rated it 4.5 stars. It was inspirational and moving. I was especially inspired about the issues that she had to deal with and how she overcame them all. There were certain chapters that dragged to me and that is why I took 1 star. In spite of that, I would still recommend it to others to read.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Blue water is an amazing book of woman's struggle which captives reader with its charm.I would suggest to read this book. Journals to sea is a good art of a book.I will rate it 3 out of four
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

From what I have read, this looks like a book that I would want to read.
Sunnyridge
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyridge.html

Post by Sunnyridge »

I don't read many autobiographies but this may be an exception. The reviews are compelling.
annew43
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by annew43 »

I'll give it a 3 - fascinating stuff and it needed one more pass with a good editor. An editor would have tightened the manuscript and eliminated some of the more questionable word choices. I also found myself not believing some of it largely I think because I wasn't given the right kind of background. For example, how is it they had so much available money? A romp, but tends to be slow because it hasn't had the editorial touch it needs.
Lori Gibson
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lori-gibson.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Lori Gibson »

So far the book seems to be great representation of a woman going through her life and her adventure. At this moment I would say my rating would be a 3 stars, based on some chapters dragging on and some repetitions throughout the book, otherwise it is a great read.

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”