Do you like reading books about other people's experinces?

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
BookHausJ
2017 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 678
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Re: Do you like reading books about other people's experinces?

Post by BookHausJ » 27 Dec 2017, 07:23

Yes I love to! Especially if the story is about a rag to riches story. Besides I learned a lot from their idea, skills and the journey until they reach the top or reach their goals and purposes. One more thing that's very practical because it can be used as short cut to minimize mistakes.

ladycraic
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: The Zachary Blake Legal Thriller Series
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic » 29 Dec 2017, 12:40

It depends on the experiences the author went through. If it's about overcoming some sort of sickness or battling with religion, then I'm up for it!

Sakilunamermaid
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 23
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 172

Post by Sakilunamermaid » 29 Mar 2018, 23:35

I only like nonfiction when the person has lived a very interesting life or they are a public figure I'd like to learn more about. I love to hear other peoples stories, of travels, jobs, people they once knew. Stories are small pieces of someone's soul, stories fill your heart and inspire you. Its nice to get to see a situation through someone else's eyes, to see how they have coped and dealt with hardships. They can inspire and share the lessons they have learned. I have to start reading more nonfiction and inspirational stories.

Zain A Blade
2018 Reading Goal: 600
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 3
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Zain A Blade » 12 Apr 2018, 10:55

In fact, those kind of books are might favourite because I get to learn from the real life experiences of others. On the other hand, when it comes to movies, I prefer fiction - a form of escapism into a fantasy world. But with books I want to learn, and the stories of other people serve as good parables.

jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez » 23 Apr 2018, 10:20

Yes. These books speak volumes about life. It feels like you're learning from other people.

bootsie0126+
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 147
Currently Reading: Theodore Boone
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ » 13 May 2018, 09:44

I enjoy reading books about other people life and experiences. Sometimes there are things that we wish we had done, things that we can't understand, or even things that inspire emotions within us. The experience that others have gone through has the potential to answer all our questions. Other people stories can teach us things that we did not know, they have the ability to inspire and motivate you, and sometimes there are life lessons and situations that you can relate to. In addition, sometimes it is just interesting to learn about people and the things that they have experienced. Taking a trip to far away places that you have never been can be seen through the words of others.

The possibility of understanding new concepts, bringing awareness to a situation, altering your perception of something or simply is interesting an fun to learn about, can be found in the experiences and lives of others.

bootsie0126+
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 147
Currently Reading: Theodore Boone
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ » 13 May 2018, 10:06

eelavahs-jay wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 10:09
To be honest, it all depends. I'm more into fiction because it's really the only way I get a break from reality. Memoirs very often document the harsh realities of life and often times rather than feel inspired by someone else overcoming their obstacles, I just get depressed thinking I haven't effected any change in mine. It can be double edged blade, at least for me. If non-fiction is relatable I can be completely engrossed or left feeling inadequate. Other times it can be an absolute bore. I love fiction and traveling to new worlds inside my head, because let's be honest this one kind of sucks lol.
Interesting post, I appreciate your honesty and can relate to some points that you mentioned. I agree that sometimes the truth is scary and we don't want to be reminded of how cruel this world can be. Maybe the stories that can spark the emotions that you are talking about, is doing just what they are created to do. It is possible that other people accomplishments through struggle is just the thing that is needed for us to actually start to change. I know it is hard, but sometimes necessary. When we get to a point in our lives where the desire to change has been a thought on our minds, it will be manifested to us. Who knows, maybe when that time comes, the words from someone who has already gone through that situation will be the one thing that inspire change.

Wish you all the best.

P.S. I also love reading fiction books to escape.

Misael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael.html
Latest Review: Evenfall by Imonlega Ebehi

Post by Misael » 19 Jun 2018, 03:32

I like reading non fiction books of people who interest me a lot, like music and film icons.

arinola grace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arinola-grace.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B077RNJR5N

Post by arinola grace » 27 Jul 2018, 20:37

Yes, no knowledge is wasted.

kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 » 28 Jul 2018, 02:32

yes, because those experiences can sometimes give me answers to questions I am seeking.

John Okinyo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by John Okinyo » 30 Jul 2018, 02:36

Yes i truly enjoy reading books about other people experinces as this helps me by being creative and imaginative by relating to my own experinces

Michael Kevin
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-kevin.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Michael Kevin » 12 Aug 2018, 01:43

I do love to read about other people experiences since we are able to know and understand their feeling based on what they shared.

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”