Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

What's your closest encounter with wildlife?

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon

Re: What's your closest encounter with wildlife?

Post Number:#61 by Lincolnshirelass
» 06 Nov 2017, 09:11

I'm well aware this is going to sound very tame compared to some, but I once had an encounter with a very, very angry, very, very large carthorse. Yes, they're normally the world's most placid creatures and that made it worse! I emerged unscathed but wouldn't care to repeat the experience. BTW a friend of mine once genuinely did have her arm broken by a swan (or so she CLAIMED, for all I know she could have fallen down stairs, but she wasn't given to lies ...!)
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Lincolnshirelass

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#62 by bruin
» 09 Nov 2017, 02:46

I've been to a wildlife safari in Nebraska and the animals cross your path or even can come up to your car. You just slowly drive through the trails in your own car and it was such an amazing experience. I haven't been there in almost ten years, but that is one of my favorite memories when I lived in the Midwest.
bruin

Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 191 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 30%

Post Number:#63 by Momiji1987
» 10 Nov 2017, 01:36

I played with a young doe once. She acted tame and let me pet her and when I ran, she leaped after me. She was adorable.
Momiji1987

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#64 by Miriam Molina
» 10 Nov 2017, 02:53

Hi, Momiji. That was Bambi!
Miriam Molina

Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 451 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 130%

Post Number:#65 by AdaJude
» 10 Nov 2017, 04:11

Not so long ago, I was at my neighbour's compound helping out on some build. I was using his wheelbarrow to bring cement bags from my pickup. The route went through some undeveloped and bushy property--the only one in a wide area.

Keen to finish the assignment, I was working loads way above my strength. So I made frequent stops to catch my breathe. Towards the end, I'd loaded 5 (50kg) sacks and proceeded through the bush. Halfway through I was so exhausted I stopped, then they appeared.

It was a hot day, so underneath some shade I found a cardboard box which I sat on. A couple of bees came out, then a swarm right off my crouch area from inside the box. I was paralysed by fear as I felt my entire body covered by bees. I just froze, I can't even remember breathing. After what seemed like an eternity they just flew away. I'd later realise that I'd been stung 7x on my back and face. But could only feel the pain about an hour later as I recounted the tale to my unbelieving hosts.
AdaJude

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10 books

Post Number:#66 by AnanyaAk
» 12 Nov 2017, 03:37

My closest encounter with the wild would be in a South African Sanctuary, where you can pet lion cubs and see them up close. One of the cubs bit me and started pulling at my hair! The handler had to intervene to get the cub off me.
AnanyaAk's Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner
AnanyaAk

Favorite Book: Origin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 4 Books
Goal Completion: 225%

Post Number:#67 by WendyH
» 12 Nov 2017, 11:37

While hiking through Cases Cove years ago, my friends and I came across three baby black bears eating nuts from the top of a tree. There were other hikers there standing at the base of the tree taking pictures, but we got out of there quickly. Where there are baby bears, you can be sure there is a protective mother bear not far behind.
WendyH's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
WendyH

Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 12 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#68 by Miriam Molina
» 12 Nov 2017, 19:34

AnanyaAk wrote:My closest encounter with the wild would be in a South African Sanctuary, where you can pet lion cubs and see them up close. One of the cubs bit me and started pulling at my hair! The handler had to intervene to get the cub off me.

That must have been a harrowing experience! I would have been in a panic.

-- 12 Nov 2017, 19:39 --

WendyH wrote:While hiking through Cases Cove years ago, my friends and I came across three baby black bears eating nuts from the top of a tree. There were other hikers there standing at the base of the tree taking pictures, but we got out of there quickly. Where there are baby bears, you can be sure there is a protective mother bear not far behind.

And maybe a Papa Bear too. I hope those other hikers didn't get attacked.

We should bear in mind that bears are unbearably violent.
Miriam Molina

Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 451 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 130%

Post Number:#69 by readingbooks1toall
» 13 Nov 2017, 12:16

I have number of encounters such as counter with snake, counter with Jackal, counter with leopard and many more to come....
readingbooks1toall

Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 50 books
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)

Post Number:#70 by wynston
» 14 Nov 2017, 14:55

My closest encounter with wildlife is with a wild boar. My dad was rearing pigs and went to feed them and I saw this big boar with is tusk push out it's mouth. I was so terrified I just ran back home.
wynston

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#71 by kingslexasoh1000
» 14 Nov 2017, 15:09

When I faced my worst fear..

-- 14 Nov 2017, 15:10 --

When I faced my worst fear..
kingslexasoh1000

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110 books
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 68%

Post Number:#72 by johappy
» 16 Nov 2017, 21:38

My closest encounter with wildlife (besides the zoo) would be the times I've gone hunting. I've personally seen the inside of a deer! (I'll spare you the gorey details.)
johappy

Favorite Book: Matched
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 96 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HDX 8.9

Previous