August Genre Discussion

August is Admit You're Happy Month! Read whatever makes you happy!
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

August Genre Discussion

Post by kio »

August is Admit You're Happy Month, so read either a book that makes you laugh (humor) or makes you happy.

What was it about? What did you like about it? What genre was it? What sets it apart from others you've read?
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Right now I am reading a book by a Spanish author, "Death on a Galician Shore" by Domingo Villar, the second book in a series featuring Inspector Leo Caldas. I have read the first book and enjoyed it, so moved to this one. Inspector Leo Caldas and his sidekick, Rafa Esteveznd, investigate the murder of a fisherman. The plot may sound simple, but it is anything but. The unique setting adds to the plot. I enjoy the prose, the mystery, the setting, and the touches of humor. The characters are finely drawn and the translation from the Spanish is very good.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

I'm currently reading Anne of Avonlea. I know its a kids book, but there's such beautiful imagery, and Anne is always good for a few smiles.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

One of my favourite authors is Diana Wynne Jones who wrote "magic" books for children long before Harry Potter. Her books, mostly for young adults, were always quirky and different, the kind I only wish I could write. She was imagination personified. I was heartbroken when she died not long ago. Then, browsing through Amazon, I discovered one last one - The Islands of Chaldea - and dived in. I laughed and rejoiced and savoured anew yet another magic world and set of oddball characters. I discovered it was completed by her sister after her death. It was not as good as some, but it still made me happy. Who could resist an aunt under a donkey spell and the ugliest cat in the world?
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I am looking for a new book.. in the comedy genre. But I just can't find one. If anyone could suggest me with something good?
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Have you tried Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens? It's oddball and very funny.
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html

Post by Angela Stripes »

ReviewerDiksha wrote:I am looking for a new book.. in the comedy genre. But I just can't find one. If anyone could suggest me with something good?

Love, Life, and the Pursuit of Free Throws is hilarious. Here's the link for it on amazon
amazon.com/dp/B00KYIVBU6/ref=dp-kindle- ... amp;btkr=1 Super easy read, but I laughed out loud on more than one occasion.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

The "Mapp and Lucia" books by E.F. Benson are always good for a laugh - he's very wry and observant. And I really enjoyed Stephen Benatar's "Wish Her Safe at Home", with its wicked and hysterical presentation of an aging spinster.
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

For me, unless the book is about a very serious subject, all books make me happy. Reading makes me happy in general.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I recently read FanGirl by Rainbow Rowell. It was definitely a book that made me happy. It is classified as young adult, and is a coming of age type tale. There is romance, social anxiety, emotional struggle, geekiness...but it is very worth reading. I can honestly say it was one of the "happier" books I read this year, which just left me with a smile on my face after I was done.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

Unrelated to the genre of the month I've been reading Katie MacAlister books. Life's been hitting a bit hard lately and her heroines have a certain sort of spunk that make me dive right in. It doesnt hurt that Katie MacAlister writes very easy (for me) to read paranormal romances so I can compare my life to things like accidentally summoning a couple of ghosts or becoming a demon lord.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Gnome wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 05:22 Unrelated to the genre of the month I've been reading Katie MacAlister books. Life's been hitting a bit hard lately and her heroines have a certain sort of spunk that make me dive right in. It doesnt hurt that Katie MacAlister writes very easy (for me) to read paranormal romances so I can compare my life to things like accidentally summoning a couple of ghosts or becoming a demon lord.
I agree with you, I loved reading Katie MacAlister's romance novels as all her heroines are strong female characters who do not hesitate to take what they want, which is a far cry from the passive damsel in distress!

Return to “August 2017 Genre Discussion”