Strong Language in Books?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Toshia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 912">First Grave on the Right</a>
Bookshelf Size: 513
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toshia.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly

Re: Strong Language in Books?

Post by Toshia »

I don't believe books should be censored. If you were walking down the street and someone was cursing you could ask them to stop, but you can't force them to. You wouldn't be able to tell someone, "I restrict your choice of vocabulary!" So, why do it to an author? You may not be able to block out what you HEAR around you, but you have every right to put down the book if the reader objects.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

Language should not be restricted in books, of course, but I think the use of "bad" language should be appropriate in the book's context and feel organic in the dialogue. In the case of The Expansion, a lot of the language seemed kind of thrown in just for the sake of being "edgy".
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I thing having strong language in a book is important if it is appropriate and pertinent. Cursing for the sake of cursing is a bad thing in novels as well as life, but strong language for emphasis or proper character development adds to the reader's experience and understanding.
Cheshire
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshire.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Cheshire »

I personally find strong language appealing. However, it depends on the portrayal of the characters. In certain situations, using foul language is necessary to express one's hatred or feelings to show it to the readers.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Lincolnshirelass
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

There are characters and situations where not using strong language would simply be silly and not believable. Having said that, some writers (and some films) just seem to use strong language (especially the F-word) as a form of punctuation or oral tic. That's really not clever and twelve-year olds on a school bus can do it.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
thisisfinal213
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thisisfinal213.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by thisisfinal213 »

I do think bad language should be restricted. Because it irritates the readers and waste their time and such writers are not good one or chosen one .....
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Explicit language should be there for a reason. If the character is someone who'd really talk that way, then it's justified. It brings a little more "flavor" to the character's personality.
roua_o

Post by roua_o »

I feel like sometimes strong language is needed to make the book feel more real, if the characters don't use strong language especially when they're angry it seems not relatable and as readers we don't connect with the book
NoelleHollingsworth
Currently Reading:

Post by NoelleHollingsworth »

I don't think the authors should not be allowed to do it, but I do think that they should use it minimally. There are lots of people that read these books, including young adults that are not used to that kind of language. I am one of those, and I don't really enjoy reading that a lot. But like I said, I don't think that the author should be restricted from using it, but they should take into account the age range of people reading the book when they put those words in there. :eusa-think:
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I, personally, have no problems with swear words used in books - except for those that are used unnecessarily just to portray one of the characters as being "cool." I am sure you know what I am talking about here. :)
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

I do not think that explicit language is bad in a book. It usually gives a realistic portrayal of life and what the character is like. However, I do prefer minimal swearing. Another alternative to actually putting swear words in your book is to simply say that the character swore.
joel27

Post by joel27 »

It's termed 'strong language' which means it is believed to carry strong emotions or emotions, feelings, ideas and information that depicts difficulty or are tasking to some sects. And because it is so, why hide it or restrict it? If the readers are fit for the task it should not be a problem. Language as an aspect of culture describes the kind of people or characters in the book. Therefore, it gives reality of the story and the characters.
Also, when writing, the readers' interest should be at heart so if the target-audience is likely to forbid the use of language, why employ it usage in the book. Language in books also depends on depends on the readers
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I don't think explicit language should be bad. We hear people speak swear everyday. However, if an author uses explicit language it should be to the benefit of the story or for the readers to have a clearer image of certain characters.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

Use of strong language in spoken or written word can be a good indication of strong emotion. When you drop a hammer on your foot, you typically exclaim a strong word. In a book, the character needs to do the same, or else the reader is left wondering if it hurt a little or a lot. pain scale of 1-10 wouldn't evoke the same emotion.
Elzaavdolli1
Favorite Book: Keini and Abeli
Currently Reading: Something About Ann
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Elzaavdolli1 »

In my opinion, the author must be free to express emotion but in the same time the language used in books must be ethical, in special cases it must be different because the author has to express the character of persons but always in ethical mode,not ordinary one.

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”