Strong Language in Books?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Ljessup
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljessup.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Re: Strong Language in Books?

Post by Ljessup »

I don't mind strong language within a book. I think if it flows nicely then it adds to the story greatly. That being said, I do think that strong language can be overdone and when that happens I find myself annoyed and wondering what provoked the author to use so much throughout their story. Balance is key and I think that if an author finds the right balance then it will make for a great story.
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Juliet Esther »

There shouldn't be any kind of restriction cause books are not for everybody but again if there is some kind of strong language in a book maybe kids should be advised not to read them
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I believe in the right to free speech, so I wouldn't want to outright ban foul language in books, but maybe a ratings system like we have for music and movies would be nice. It would be great to know in advance for people who would prefer to avoid nasty language.
I hate curse words myself and seldom use them unless I'm extremely mad (rarely). But I think certain people can use crude language in a way that's humorous and not offensive because the malice isn't present. People who abuse the F word or stuff like that can be offensive because its unnecessary to speak that way. I think it's best to keep swearing at a minimum in order to have the largest audience possible.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Obviously the usage of bad language is the author's choice, but I would prefer it if authors kept it to a minimum or none at all. I can deal with a couple of bad words here and there, but if I am constantly seeing it throughout the book then it just makes me uncomfortable, and sometimes I even stop reading the book. There are many things in this world that can influence others to use bad language, and I think that books can play a role in that if the person reads a lot. However, as mentioned above, there are many things that can influence the way people talk.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Zupanatural
Currently Reading: The Book of Strange New Things
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zupanatural.html

Post by Zupanatural »

k2rugman wrote:I don't think there should be any kind of censorship in writing books but I do think less of an author when there is significant strong language. I can understand an expletive in an intense situation but when a character says the F word five times in a casual sentence it feels sloppy and childish.
There is certainly a fine line when it comes to bad language. Irvine Welsh's books (the most famous of course being Trainspotting) are full of filthy language but, if you get what he's doing, it isn't at all gratuitous- it serves to give a true & accurate rendering of how people from deprived backgrounds/areas really do communicate.
breyfoglese
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breyfoglese.html
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella

Post by breyfoglese »

Profanity exists for a reason; sometimes the normal words don't cut it. If books are going to express the human experience, then I agree with others and say that they should be able to use curse words. That being said, I'd be leery of a book that normalized racial/gendered slurs and implicitly argued that they were okay; not that it should be illegal to publish, but that I wouldn't want to read or support it.
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella
AmandaMac
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandamac.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by AmandaMac »

I'm okay with strong language in books,but only if it's used to add to the story being told. Such as one character using the strong language because that's part of their personality, or using it to show the frustration of a character who normally avoids strong language.

I would rather read it in a book as opposed to seeing it in movies or on television. I feel like the screen writers just ran out of ideas, but I've also seen a few movies where strong language was the only language for the most part.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly
Fictions Mistress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictions-mistress.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Fictions Mistress »

Strong language in books can really add to the overall atmosphere. When done right, it helps immerse you in the story. However, swearing for the sake of swearing is something I can't stand in a book. It gets distracting and the reader can definitely tell when it's just for dramatic effect. Like with everything, there's a line.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I don't think it should be restricted, that being said I will not read a book with to many curse words. There are people that enjoy that kind of language though and that is their opinion. I feel like books should be rated like movies, so I don't buy it then figure out I can't read it a few pages in
hebcandle
Currently Reading: The Crane
Bookshelf Size: 1222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hebcandle.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: B00AGAS6XW

Post by hebcandle »

If the targeted audience is adults, I don't think that explicit language should be restricted. Sometimes the language can add to the story, depending upon the characters and situations presented. The only time language has ever affected my personal use is when it has been in music, not in books.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

Curse words help to set the tone of a book. Funny though, when I reach them I just skip past them.
Chuks Daniel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chuks-daniel.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by Chuks Daniel »

If the target audience are adults strong language may not entirely be wrong.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Nick Rones
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nick-rones.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Nick Rones »

Gravy wrote:In real life some people use "blue" language. I'm put off if a character that would typically use harsh language doesn't. That's not to say that every *criminal, construction worker, drunkard, etc.* has to, just that it takes a very talented author to tackle one who doesn't (and it actually be readable (in my opinion)).

It would be like an author writing about an MD who never sees a patient, or a prostitute who never sees a client.
That Very Talented Author could likely pull it off, but most would come across as inacurrate and contrived.

So, yes, I think authors should include this language. Preferably only in dialogue (and the written equivalent, i.e. letters), and preferably in an organic manner.

This is a great point. If the language fits into the characters personality it will make the character seem more "real"

-- 27 Sep 2017, 12:58 --
Gravy wrote:In real life some people use "blue" language. I'm put off if a character that would typically use harsh language doesn't. That's not to say that every *criminal, construction worker, drunkard, etc.* has to, just that it takes a very talented author to tackle one who doesn't (and it actually be readable (in my opinion)).

It would be like an author writing about an MD who never sees a patient, or a prostitute who never sees a client.
That Very Talented Author could likely pull it off, but most would come across as inacurrate and contrived.

So, yes, I think authors should include this language. Preferably only in dialogue (and the written equivalent, i.e. letters), and preferably in an organic manner.
This is a great point. If the language fits into the characters personality it will make the character seem more real.

-- 27 Sep 2017, 13:03 --

This is a great point. If the language fits into the characters personality it will make the character seem more real.

-- 27 Sep 2017, 13:04 --
Nick Rones wrote:

This is a great point. If the language fits into the characters personality it will make the character seem more "real"

-- 27 Sep 2017, 12:58 --

-- 27 Sep 2017, 13:03 --

My apologies. My browser froze up :oops:
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

If there is constant strong language, I usually choose not to finish the book. My true preference is no cursing at all. However, if it comes up here or there in a book, I just try to overlook it.
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

Interesting question you raised. I don't mind bad language in stories. Sometimes it captures the tone more effectively than sugar-coated phrases. Very often people argue that it's a cop out for when authors don't have the eloquence to express themselves/articulate but come on. Replacing "very" with "damn" every once in a while gives the story a certain edge.

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”