Strong Language in Books?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Strong Language in Books?

Post by sophiemer642 »

In the book, "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin, suggestive language is used in the book.

Should authors be restricted from using bad language in books?

Do you think explicit language in books encourages the increase of potty mouths?
Ren B
Currently Reading: in a dark, dark wood
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ren-b.html
Latest Review: "H" by Ray Palla

Post by Ren B »

I do not think bad language should be restricted. There is a surprising number of curse words in this book compared to most others, but it wasn't so bad that it would stick with me weeks or even days after reading the book.

When talking about language in books, I can't help but think of Philip Roth. His books are notorious for language (among other things), and he has been nominated for or won numerous National Book Awards.
Latest Review: "H" by Ray Palla
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I also don't think bad language should be restricted. Especially if the target audience for the book are adults.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

Books are probably not the reason for language, I think. There are a very wide range of external influences that affect such a thing, but books have a comparatively positive impact, in my opinion.
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I never agree with censorship so I don't think bad language should be banned from books. Besides, the potty mouths in real life are reflected in the bad language in books so it's the other way around.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Restricted? No. But I would prefer books without it. I can tolerate it a lot more in movies, but in books the profaneness of it just sticks out more.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson

Post by Christina Rose »

AliceofX wrote:Restricted? No. But I would prefer books without it. I can tolerate it a lot more in movies, but in books the profaneness of it just sticks out more.
I agree with you on this. I am not sure why it bothers me more in books than in movies, but it really does.
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

Izesicle wrote:I never agree with censorship so I don't think bad language should be banned from books. Besides, the potty mouths in real life are reflected in the bad language in books so it's the other way around.
That is a nice way of looking at it
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

If I have to choose, I prefer not to find any cursing word in the books I read. However, I know that's going to be impossible, so when reading, I just skip/ignore the words when I find them.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Kalin Adi wrote:If I have to choose, I prefer not to find any cursing word in the books I read. However, I know that's going to be impossible, so when reading, I just skip/ignore the words when I find them.
I find myself doing the same thing … or I will use the edited term in my mind. ?
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

In real life some people use "blue" language. I'm put off if a character that would typically use harsh language doesn't. That's not to say that every *criminal, construction worker, drunkard, etc.* has to, just that it takes a very talented author to tackle one who doesn't (and it actually be readable (in my opinion)).

It would be like an author writing about an MD who never sees a patient, or a prostitute who never sees a client.
That Very Talented Author could likely pull it off, but most would come across as inacurrate and contrived.

So, yes, I think authors should include this language. Preferably only in dialogue (and the written equivalent, i.e. letters), and preferably in an organic manner.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

I don't think that authors should have to worry about censoring their books. It all depends on the subject of the story and the general crowd that they are writing for. If they are writing for a young adult/teen crowd then the language should be cleaner of course. For adults, I don't see the problem because we all know that we all curse and swear. To remove that from some would be to gloss over the situation when it calls for an intense reaction, and we all know yelling, "GOSH DARN" just isn't going to have that desired effect. Some prefer with and others without, it's just all in how you look at it for me.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

BunnySTx wrote:I don't think that authors should have to worry about censoring their books. It all depends on the subject of the story and the general crowd that they are writing for. If they are writing for a young adult/teen crowd then the language should be cleaner of course. For adults, I don't see the problem because we all know that we all curse and swear. To remove that from some would be to gloss over the situation when it calls for an intense reaction, and we all know yelling, "GOSH DARN" just isn't going to have that desired effect. Some prefer with and others without, it's just all in how you look at it for me.
This is all very true. I edit the foul language in my own head while I am reading (although I could not tell you why. It does not bother me in movies or even in my own speech), but I would not want the book censored. I acknowledge the need for the choice of words and what that adds to the characters and situations, and I am also just simply against censorship, I think. That is why there are specific publishers and such for "clean reading."
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I thought there was very little truly strong language in this story. In fact, I'm trying hard to remember any, but I may have just missed it. But I guess that depends on what a person considers "strong language".
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Post by k2rugman »

I don't think there should be any kind of censorship in writing books but I do think less of an author when there is significant strong language. I can understand an expletive in an intense situation but when a character says the F word five times in a casual sentence it feels sloppy and childish.

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”