Strong Language in Books?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Re: Strong Language in Books?

Post by El-kanah »

I don't think it should be restricted either.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

El-kanah wrote:I don't think it should be restricted either.
Well, it depends on where we are coming from. I believe it depends on the target audience.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

There should be no restriction on strong language or anything else for that matter! An adequate warning about the contents or strong language in a book is sufficient-- if it's not your cup of tea, don't read this particular book!!
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

I agree with most commentaries that bad language should not be restricted if the book catered for adult readers.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
elderwand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 565

Post by elderwand »

If it's a book that's clearly an adult-only book, they should be allowed to use strong language.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

It's not a problem unless there is absolutely no mention of it. Sometimes I'm surprised that some books that looked ''clean'' have a lot of strong language or explicit/graphic scenes yet there was no warning. Some sort of a disclaimer before purchase or at the end of the book summary is crucial.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
jjr200s84
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjr200s84.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by jjr200s84 »

I do not think that there should be an overall restriction of bad language from books, but I do think the author should use good judgment in using curse words or vulgar phrases. Many times, those examples of bad language that make us uncomfortable build a deep view of the character that uses the words and phrases in dialog. Just like adult content or violence, I believe if the content moves the story along, builds character, or deepens the reader's understanding of the situation or world of the book, then it is acceptable. Gratuitous adult or vulgar content, however, often distracts from the reader's experience, and I feel the author should seriously consider removing it.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

I think it should be used sparingly so that it doesn't put off some readers.
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by EmunahAn »

I think there should be censorship. An author has responsibility towards the reader to be sensitive. There are many ways of expression, it doesn't have to be bad.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

Gravy wrote:In real life some people use "blue" language. I'm put off if a character that would typically use harsh language doesn't. That's not to say that every *criminal, construction worker, drunkard, etc.* has to, just that it takes a very talented author to tackle one who doesn't (and it actually be readable (in my opinion)).

It would be like an author writing about an MD who never sees a patient, or a prostitute who never sees a client.
That Very Talented Author could likely pull it off, but most would come across as inacurrate and contrived.

So, yes, I think authors should include this language. Preferably only in dialogue (and the written equivalent, i.e. letters), and preferably in an organic manner.
Absolutely this... it just seems weird to me when a character doesn't swear when I imagine in real life that they would. And I'm mostly talking about the "F" this or that when they stub their toes or in frustration. The gross swearing to put someone down or show their ignorance with racists comments can only ever be used by unlikeable characters and for shock value and I typically avoid those kinds of books anyways.
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

There are hundreds of ways to express yourself. So if someone chooses to do it using bad language, then it's their choice. And it's ours to read it or not.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The strong language the author uses is the badge of the book. Every story is told in a different language so i'm not really concerned about this.
Ivan L
Currently Reading: Wrath
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-l.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00OTWPS52

Post by Ivan L »

I think that strong language shouldn't be restricted, but it should be used with taste. If it suits the situation use it, but don't throw them in just anywhere.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Charissa C
Currently Reading: Yes, Chef
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Charissa C »

I don't think strong language should be restricted but, like with everything else in writing, it should have purpose.

There are people in real life who do use strong language frequently and that's part of their character and personality. That is how they express themselves and communicate. That's reality.

Do I enjoy books with strong, vulgar language? No. But I think it's the author's right to have it if they so wish. And my right to not read it if I find it particularly offensive.
Ashley Crane
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-crane.html
Latest Review: "Don't Let It Show" by Randy Boucher

Post by Ashley Crane »

Authors should not be restricted. Language is how we express ourselves and anyone who curses knows how satisfying it is. Strong is a good word for it because it does feel stronger, like more of a release, more emphasis on what you're trying to say.
Anyone who's going to use this language, will use it regardless, because they will hear it everywhere else around them even if not in books.
Latest Review: "Don't Let It Show" by Randy Boucher

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”