Strong Language in Books?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Strong Language in Books?

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I don't think strong words should be restricted in novels . Because I feel there's a reason when author is using such wording, it may be describing the situation, the personality or so on . And most important thing is that if even a single words of book is censored, book will loose its taste . Add one more point is that sometimes such strong words give a boost to novel .
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

I can tolerate it, but i don't necessarily like it. It doesn't say much to be honest. I may read it, if it's not over the top, but i don't condone potty mouths. It to me says a lot about a person's LACK of vocabulary. I don't believe writing encourages it though... you can choose what to say and when, or how.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

AliceofX wrote:Restricted? No. But I would prefer books without it. I can tolerate it a lot more in movies, but in books the profaneness of it just sticks out more.
I actually am more tolerant of indecent language in books than on film. I still hate it in books because I don't curse but it is really hard not to read the swear words when you are mind reading. I understand that books try to reflect reality but I know from experience that we try to reflect books. A weird cycle where you don't know who is falling who!
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Honestly, in a book like this, I think it's totally fine. There's a lot of adult content in it, like prostitution and violence, I think anyone who can handle those can probably handle some bad language. I think using it does add something to books. I always find it unrealistic when an adult never curses. I know those people exist, I just don't know many at all.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Suggestive words are part of normal conversation, I dont believe censorship of any kind should be applied to books.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I'm not a fan of strong language in books. It's fine if there's some occasionally, but I'd prefer if there wasn't a whole lot of it.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I don't particularly care for bad language in books or in real life. I think it should be used sparingly if at all. That said there are some instances in books, and in life, when it would be hard to imagine the character not using that type of language at times.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
Nishit Kumar
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nishit-kumar.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Nishit Kumar »

I don't think that it really matters. Such books are not for kids, and words like these will not stick to adults.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Sgatev23
Currently Reading: The Interpretation of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sgatev23.html
Latest Review: "Searching For Paradise" by T.L.Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sgatev23 »

I was actually thinking about it today. The answer is: Conservative critics will always hate us living writers anyways... We use profane and vulgar language now more than ever and, I believe, for realism as genre to thrive, bad language is a must if you want your characters to be veritable.
Latest Review: "Searching For Paradise" by T.L.Hughes
rjthegreat92
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjthegreat92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by rjthegreat92 »

Honestly I do not like cuss words in books I read. I do however still read books that have them, I just dont think they are necessary.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

I don't think bad language should be restricted. It is up to the writer to tell his tale. I don't really remember very much strong language in this book. I think I've read others that were much more graphic with their words than this.
Georgialouise
Currently Reading: The Watchmaker&rsquo;s Doctor
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgialouise.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Georgialouise »

I don't think bad language should be restricted at all. If the author believes that the language is necessary for the book, they should be able to use it without hesitation. It depends on the subject, genre and audience of the book, but I don't think it should be censored.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Reality is what it is. The book tried to mirror reality. How could the author depict his characters well if all dialogue will be sanitized? And this book isn't too bad in the cursing department. I've read worse.
Sayre
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B01D3NZIMA

Post by Sayre »

I'm generally a potty mouth anyway so it doesn't bother me in books. When it comes to if it should be restricted I think that is a slippery slope and I tend to fight censorship of any kind.
Rebecca Henderson
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-henderson.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rebecca Henderson »

I think strong language in a book follows the same rules as sexual content. Sometimes the genre or the tone of the book requires it. Other times, the use is unnecessary and acts as a crutch. Strong language, when used appropriately, will convey more than body language or environment alone. Characterization can be done with strong language, but again, there is a line between acceptable and over-the-top. For instance, having a character cuss for pages and pages might turn your audience off. Then again, if there is a stressful situation at hand or the scene requires such a response, then perhaps the reader can see beyond the language and know that the author is trying to convey something about that character. There is certainly a gray area to all this, but readers will know when too much bad language is used.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”