Strong Language in Books?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Re: Strong Language in Books?

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Amagine wrote:I also don't think bad language should be restricted. Especially if the target audience for the book are adults.
I agree. This kind of language is sometimes needed in emphasizing the theme of the story and in depicting the kind of character the author wants to portray.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

It is perfectly fine for both authors and people in general to use whatever language they desire. Preventing them from expressing themselves in the manner they see fit is an unfair restriction on their freedom of expression. As to whether or not language in books causes more people to use such language, I agree that it is probably a contributing factor. On the other hand, I don't think there is anything intrinsically wrong about more people using strong language when they seek to express themselves.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I don't have any problems with swear words, though some words of abuse like "idiot" are problematic, because they could promote ableism.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

If the story is strong, so should be the language it is written with. These are the real words to portray the real conflict and tension in the book. This language is necessary to introduce real emotions.
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

Restricting bad language would kill the flow of the book therefore authors should not be restricted.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Emilyflint »

All I have to say is free speech. Sometimes there is a reason for strong language, describes the character or scene. I dont care for it if it is just for the heck of it and overdone. But I just skip past them.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Nope, I don't think they should be discouraged. Swear words have their place, I think. It's nothing shocking anymore.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

Personally I don't mind strong language in books written for adults. As long as its not over used or takes away from the story, which rarely happens.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Anirudh Badri wrote:It is perfectly fine for both authors and people in general to use whatever language they desire. Preventing them from expressing themselves in the manner they see fit is an unfair restriction on their freedom of expression. As to whether or not language in books causes more people to use such language, I agree that it is probably a contributing factor. On the other hand, I don't think there is anything intrinsically wrong about more people using strong language when they seek to express themselves.
I agree. Using strong language is a part of our freedom of expression. The use of strong language helps the author to show the strong emotions or feelings of the characters in the story.
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

Normally, I have no problem with bad language in books, but if the story starts to sound like the characters are all from a bad episode of Jersey Shore, then it gets old. It should be used sparingly to make an impact. One Laurell K Hamilton book I read had an average of 10 versions of f*ck per page--ugh.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

If it's in the context of the book, then it's appropriate. For example, for a soldier in a military thriller, they will not say, "Gosh darn it!" They will not take the time to find other euphemisms to please their morals. Still, there are limits. A character who cusses for a reason will be viewed differently than a character who cusses just to look cool. I just have more respect for someone who can control their tongue.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

I don't thing swearing should be taken out just for the sake of censorship. A person is always going to hear some form of swearing at some stage around them, be it at the mall or on the tv, and as long as the author is responsible and uses it correctly and not for shock value it's part of life. I worked in an environment where people swore a lot and I don't even hear it anymore - I hardly noticed any in the book because I think my brain automatically filters it out!
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

sophiemer642 wrote:In the book, "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin, suggestive language is used in the book.

Should authors be restricted from using bad language in books?

Do you think explicit language in books encourages the increase of potty mouths?
Absolutely not, there shouldn't be any restrictions - freedom of expression should be valued as it allows authors to showcase their creativity...

I think there is a lot of media and other sources out there that expose people to a lot of explicit language - it's up to an individual to carefully choose their influences. That is life.
lrbfilm
Currently Reading: Nevermoor
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lrbfilm.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lrbfilm »

I am glad there isn't censorship in regards to foul language, it can do a lot for characters and their diaglog. It colors our world, why not let it color the world of the books we read. Speaking them is a choice that we make.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Aarush Kumar
Currently Reading: Disastrously Fabulous
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarush-kumar.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Aarush Kumar »

It depends on the author and the plot... What each reader views as Strong language also makes a difference... There are situations where it's justified, and situations where it looks childish... It's all about how well it can blend in with the plot and the dialogues...

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”