Strong Language in Books?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
aussiebooklover
Currently Reading: Absolute Power
Bookshelf Size: 37

Re: Strong Language in Books?

Post by aussiebooklover »

I realized that only Godfredo and his father talk like this, which gives them a unique profile... I think it fits its purpose.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

Author's can and should use whatever language they want imo. It's up to the reader if they like it or will finish the book
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

If the author isn't sloppy with the strong language, restrictions should not be applied. There are some intense situations that require strong language to effectively describe to the reader how that character really feels.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Language should not be censored in books. Because when an author creates a character, he knows what kind of person that character is going to be and what kind of language they will use to communicate with others. Placing a bar on words means you are creating a limit for the author to develop his characters which is really not done.
GwenWood
Favorite Author: Kim Harrison
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gwenwood.html
Reading Device: B01AZ7LT20
fav_author_id: 4193

Post by GwenWood »

I think, when it fits the character, it should be there.
Vallen Kale
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vallen-kale.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Vallen Kale »

For me, it depends on the situation or how a person applies his/her oral communication. As far as books are concerned, bad language serves its purpose well when it comes to a climax or an emotional part of the story. It can be used to reflect a character's state of mind too. I like a lot of bad language words in books, to be honest. It may be vulgar, but it can be very powerful artistically in representing a story.

Outside of books, no. And I really prefer if children stay away from these words.
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Czarmaine AM »

I don't mind reading strong words, sometimes it can add more impact on a character. So far, I haven't read anything that have irritated me to the point of wanting it to be restricted. It should just be recommended to mature readers.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Harrygx3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrygx3.html
Latest Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy

Post by Harrygx3 »

I like strong language in the books. Its very expressive and sometimes gives you to understand the full meaning of something. I think people should be allowed to express themselves freely no matter how unpleasant it maybbe to some people. Kids reading such books not only would express themselves better but also learn to be more open and understanding to how other people communicate. Kids will learn "bad" words anyways so why not teach them properly from the start? Besides, I find strong language quite funny :lol:
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

I don't think bad languages should be restricted in books if author wants mature and adult audiences. But if the audience is underage then the author should be limited to his use of language.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

Nope, I'm completely okay with it - as long as it's not used every other word. I think it really brings out emotion and tension, and therefore could add to the story's atmosphere.
Ritikadalal
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Ritikadalal »

I don't think it should be restricted at all. Though a little warning would be good just in case some readers would have problems with it.
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

I definitely don't think strong language should be restricted. However, I do think a lot of authors don't really use it well. A lot of times when I see it, it comes off as unnatural.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

No language should be resrtices in books. That is like saying you should restrict artists from using certain colours. It is the authors right to use the words they choose. As it is a persons right not to read them if they don't want.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

I don't think that it should be omitted from books or movies. Sometimes, it does bother me to hear it in music.
Barbara B
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Barbara B »

My opinion - the reader should be warned against profanity and then choose whether or not to read the book.

I have read a couple of books myself where the profanity was a little bit over the top, it seems (to me) much more crude to read a curse word compared to hearing a curse word, I am not exactly sure why.

But I should also add that sometimes the rawness of the word emphasizes the character's emotion, and in those circumstances I prefer that some crudeness are added - depending on what the word. Sometimes a scene just seems to blunt if you don't add a little spice. For instance the guy's finger get's cut off and he replies with, "oh bollocks", not working for me (except if it's a comedy)... Bad example but I think you see what I'm getting at.

In the end I think it boils down to personal preference and a reader should be able to choose whatever content he or she reads. If profanity get's restricted, the choice is taken away from the reader, therefore I will have to vote: no - strong language should not be restricted - the reader should be warned though, and the choice is then left up to him/her whether or not to read the book.

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”