Strong Language in Books?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Lolo Skyooz
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Hill House
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolo-skyooz.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Re: Strong Language in Books?

Post by Lolo Skyooz » 17 May 2018, 21:46

It seems obvious to me that if a character needs to curse to get their point across, it can serve purposes of character development and can also communicate an emotional reaction in a medium (books) which doesn't have the benefit of visual signals of emotion. Cursing can also be a function of the author's voice, and a clear signal as to what type of audience the author intends to write for. I think that if cursing offends some readers, of course, they have a right to make their distaste for that kind of thing known in their reviews. But so often you see these people literally pitching a hissy fit in their reviews, as though bad language somehow affects them in a way that amounts to a personal affront between them and the author. If bad language is that offensive to someone, they should probably stick to reading classic literature and books for children as they must take personal responsibility for their own emotions.

LaurenHaupt
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by LaurenHaupt » 29 Jul 2018, 10:42

I don't mind a little bit. If there are cus words in every sentence it just makes the book sound trashy.
:no-spoil:

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”