Is Suicide Ever the Answer?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Re: Is Suicide Ever the Answer?

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Georgialouise wrote:My best friend committed suicide just over three months ago. The pain he went through in life led him to make that choice, I am nobody to judge if it is right or wrong, it depends on how much that person is going through and if they can find no other way out.
I agree. We are not in the position to judge people committing suicide because we do not feel the pain they are enduring.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Sunnyridge
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyridge.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by Sunnyridge »

Suicide vs mercy killing. If I can have enough compassion to end an animals suffering, I hope I can give at least the same consideration to the human race. However, suicide due to a time of despair that can be reversed in the future, is a tragedy. Unfortunately, I don't think a person in a severe state of depression has any sense of a future and that is why they give up.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I have known someone who committed suicide, but I didn't know them well enough to understand their reasons for doing so. I don't think suicide is ever the right answer. In some situations, though perhaps not all of them, the action is a very selfish one. It typically affects more than just the person committing the act. However, I do believe that in every situation it's a cowardly act.
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

I've watched Beetlejuice too many times--I would so not want to be a civil servant in the afterlife. I've also heard that people who kill someone in one life commit suicide in multiple lives to make up for it, and seen suicide attempts used as a tool of manipulation. There has to be a better option.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I would never take my life like that. It might seem wise to commit suicide and get away from your problems, but think about all the people you will leave behind to deal with the pain of your suicide. I feel it'll be easier to deal with normal death, foreseeable or not, than to deal with suicide. Fortunately, I do not know anybody (personally) who committed suicide
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I had a distant cousin who committed suicide. And it really seemed a cowardly act on his part because he had a really good family who took care of him and always tried to help him. But he was doomed owing to his own deeds. I didn't feel as bad for him as I did for his family.
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

Huh? Oh no the problem remains, but you don't have to deal with it. You just create another mess for those who care, and perhaps aimless souls. But who cares, oh no not you especially not you because you've solved a temporal problem, though you thought it was permanent. And what if there was something after death, an eternal adventure, woes waiting. If I've got the guts to die, to walk right into what every one tries so hard to avoid, then I've got what it takes to live. Like the living dead, cos I wouldn't care what the living bound to die would do. I wouldn't say I've never thought of it. Obviously i have but what a waste of a life you could have made the best of if you even just tried. Christ brings hope and hope defeats suicide.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Shaimaa
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaimaa.html
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Shaimaa »

Yes, sometimes life gets tough and harsh and all, but I don't think suicide is ever the answer.

So many books and TV shows and movies discuss it nowadays because people feel pressurized a lot these days.
pontiac21
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pontiac21.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by pontiac21 »

I've always considered it a permanent solution to a temporary problem but with that being said i've had two friends do it. Both were in situations they could not exactly get out of at that present time and back then i was angry and bitter. I now look back on it as it's been 8 years ago since one friend of mine did it and four for the other. they both knew it would be awhile before they could change their situations and they both were to broken to handle it.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I don't think that suicide is the answer for any situation. A person should try to be strong and fight the bad situation.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
riazziea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riazziea.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by riazziea »

Unfortunatly I know more than one close friend who has committed suicide. One who made the choice at a young age of 15. It is hard to say if it is ever the right answer, but unfortunately it seems like the only answer for some. Life is hard for a lot of people. But, for some people it is unbearable. There are things that society is not ready to accept and judge too hard on. It is because of this that suicide becomes a choice. Everyone who was close to the victim ends up suffering and that tends to be why people think suicide is wrong, because then it hurts others. But now the person who has been suffering the most no longer is. I feel that it really is no ones place to decide except the one making the the final decision.
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by EmunahAn »

I do not think that it is an option. However, people should support each other. No one makes it in this world alone.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

It depends on the person. If it's assisted suicide because a person has a terminal illness, it is the person's decision. I'm from Texas, and while this decision might be controversial, in the end it's still the person's choice whether or not to end their life. If it's a soldier trying to protect their country, they may also contemplate on suicide, if they think it'd protect their country. However, if it's anything mentally or psychologically related, suicide is never the answer.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

I've never known anyone who committed suicide and I don't intend to. It's tragically humorous that the burden which one tries to lighten by committing suicide resurfaces a thousand fold subsequently. Suicide will no longer be a menace when we all begin to see it as one.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
strike-aster
Currently Reading: The War of Words
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by strike-aster »

Absolutely not! I don't know anyone who committed suicide. It is never a solution to any problem. Mostly the once who do it thought that they can't handle the situation anymore and people who are suffering from too much depression. If you come to think of it, there are a lot of reasons why people do it. Every action has its reasons on why it was done. You are just giving up so easily that you can no longer think of any kind of solution, and just decided to end it all. Without even trying. It will definitely lead to nowhere.

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”