What would you do for money?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

What would you do for money?

Post by sophiemer642 »

In the book, financial greed plays a crucial role in the book.

To what extremes would you go to get money?

Is it worth it to lie, steal or even murder for a huge amount of money?
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I would never go against my morals for money. There are many things that I would never do just simply for the sake of money.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

I feel it would depend on the situation. Regardless of my belief system in morals, it would be hypocritical of me to not admit I might do certain things in situations if required.
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson

Post by Christina Rose »

I have never been one to put such importance on money. If we have enough to get by, we are good. Sure, having more is nice, but my priorities fall elsewhere, namely family.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I agree with Kinnera.
Unless a person has been in a situation where money was the only difference between living and dying, I don't think they know what they would do. I know I can't say for certain.

And to further it a bit, many people would rather die than do these things, but when it's not your life, but the lives of those you love at stake, it's often another matter entirely.

What is stealing a loaf of bread, to a mother with a starving child?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson

Post by Christina Rose »

Gravy wrote:I agree with Kinnera.
Unless a person has been in a situation where money was the only difference between living and dying, I don't think they know what they would do. I know I can't say for certain.

And to further it a bit, many people would rather die than do these things, but when it's not your life, but the lives of those you love at stake, it's often another matter entirely.

What is stealing a loaf of bread, to a mother with a starving child?
What you say is entirely true, but I took the question to refer to attaining money for greedy purposes, not for survival.
I do not think anyone can honestly say what they would or would not do in cases where their own lives or the lives of loved ones are at stake.
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

For the sake of greed - I wouldn't go against my morals just to obtain the money. Committing murder to obtain a quick payday, stealing or conning someone out of their money...I just couldn't do it. Not in the name of greed. It is an easy thing to steal but the risks out weight the rewards at the end of the day. Plus, I look at it from the stand point of this - you're setting yourself up. Once you cross that line and murder someone or steal from someone you've painted a mark on your back. It may not be today or tomorrow or even a year from now before something comes back on you but it is coming sooner or later.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Money is not the end all be all. There are some things that are more important than money. Plus you can't take it with you. When you are dead it does you no good.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

kandscreeley wrote:Money is not the end all be all. There are some things that are more important than money. Plus you can't take it with you. When you are dead it does you no good.
You make a very good point.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Kinnera wrote:I feel it would depend on the situation. Regardless of my belief system in morals, it would be hypocritical of me to not admit I might do certain things in situations if required.

I would have to agree. I don't think that I would lie or steal for money. I'm pretty confident I wouldn't murder. But if we suddenly literally had nothing and couldn't get help from family or friends, or from social agencies & churches, or whatever, I would do WHATEVER I had to in order to feed my children, but I still don't think I could kill someone for even that.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I can never ever think about doing anything bad for money. Money doesn't worth selling your soul. May be , you earn money after doing bad things like stealing or killing, but you won't be able to sleep peacefully for rest of your life
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I work at a boring job for money. :D I am not capable of extremes though. I have been poor before, I will be fine being poor again.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Money is needed for survival yes, but money isn't the answer to all things. Has anyone ever noticed that the rich have more problems, habe to pay therapists, and always have more things to sort out day to day? And most times are miserable? Yet the poor work hard, and are more contented with what little they have? More money more problems...

However, that doesn't mean that i won't like to be more comfortable financially, it's just that i don't believe that money equates happiness, and as such, I'm not doing anything that keeps me up at night to get it.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

The love of money is the root of all evil - not money itself but the overly strong desire to possess money to satisfy a weak ego. I want to be financially stable but I will trust in the Lord Jesus to provide and work an honest job to make some paper.
I will definitely write more paid reviews for money and also the fact that I love to read books.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I think the list of things I would do for money is very limited. I would not go to any extremes, unless the situation can only be solved by my doing so. The chances of me doing anything illegal for money are very low, though.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”