Panama Canal

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Re: Panama Canal

Post by Athena Moon »

kandscreeley wrote:I have not been to the Panama Canal. I don't think it's really on my "bucket list." I'd much rather go to Europe, see the castles in Scotland, or Venice. That's just me though.
I completely agree with you, Venice is quite an architectural wonder and it is apparent, when Panama Canal has a great history in the background but you gotta be standing there and imagining all the greatness in your mind. Despite my owe for it, I would rather visit Venice millions times more.
DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DDunstock »

I've never been - but I used to teach middle school geography and we covered the Panama Canal and its construction. The documentary that we watched each year was absolutely amazing. I definitely think it should be considered a "wonder" because putting that thing up was absolutely astounding and a feat of engineering. I would love to visit.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Awad Sharar
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awad-sharar.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by Awad Sharar »

I have never been to a tropical area. It's my dream to spend some time there, where one enjoys the wilds and the modern engineering.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

I haven't been through the Panama Canal, but I have been through Shanghai Harbor on a ferry - it took more than a half hour to go through it and dock the boat!
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

What an interesting take on the modern wonder! I've never been, and prior to me briefly reading the expansion, hadn't even thought of it. But after hearing some reviews here, it'll be a nice addition to my list of natural wonders to explore. Being from the caribbean, i've been more fascinated with limestone caves and waterfalls...
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Trixy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trixy.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Trixy »

Yes, I have been in the Panama Canal, but is not that amazing. Let me explain... it is a great work of engineering and technology, which is what make it great, the thing is if you are only coming to Panama for it is not worth it, especially if you don´t like this kind of stuff. Even so, seen it at least one is enough unless you love engines, ships and waiting to it all passing through. Don´t get wrong, i just don´t like ships.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

DDunstock wrote:I've never been - but I used to teach middle school geography and we covered the Panama Canal and its construction. The documentary that we watched each year was absolutely amazing. I definitely think it should be considered a "wonder" because putting that thing up was absolutely astounding and a feat of engineering. I would love to visit.
I agree. It must be officially declared as one of the contemporary wonders. I can't imagine commercial trade without it. It made the life of billions of people because of its commercial significance.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

I have never been, but it'd be cool to visit all 7 places.
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

I never been to Panama canal, every time I look at pictures of Panama canal makes me say "wow, amazing! "
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Donnavila Marie01

Trixy wrote:Yes, I have been in the Panama Canal, but is not that amazing. Let me explain... it is a great work of engineering and technology, which is what make it great, the thing is if you are only coming to Panama for it is not worth it, especially if you don´t like this kind of stuff. Even so, seen it at least one is enough unless you love engines, ships and waiting to it all passing through. Don´t get wrong, i just don´t like ships.
Well taken. What amazes me about the Panama Canal is its contribution to trade and other international activities.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

I haven't been to the Panama Canal, but I would really love to. I transited the Bosphorus Straits into the Black Sea on a cruise ship once and that was absolutely stunning!
Donnavila Marie01

CaitlynLynch wrote:I haven't been to the Panama Canal, but I would really love to. I transited the Bosphorus Straits into the Black Sea on a cruise ship once and that was absolutely stunning!
Wow! That's great. You will surely love the Panama Canal also.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

I've only been outside of the US once and it was when I was very young. We went to Canada for a work meeting my father had and it was AWESOME! As such, there's no way I've been to the Panama Canal. I've heard quite a bit about it though!

As for a modern wonder, honestly the most amazing sight for me was a nearly-empty Disney World as a child. During another of my father's work meetings they actually had us go to one of Disney World's parks (I forget which since I was so young) after hours when no one else was allowed. Only 3 rides were open so we went on each several times, and they had loads of free food (we ate lots of them). That was an incredible experience!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Amagine wrote:I've never been to the Panama canal. It sounds interesting though. I wouldn't mind seeing it one day.
I wish to see it too
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Donnavila Marie01

Awad Sharar wrote:I have never been to a tropical area. It's my dream to spend some time there, where one enjoys the wilds and the modern engineering.
Tropical places have amazing vegetation but take note that these places are prone to natural calamities.

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”