How's Your Relationship With Your Parent?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: How's Your Relationship With Your Parent?

Post by Manang Muyang »

My mom has passed on (she was 81) and my dad is 89. They have done their best in loving all of us 5 children. They aren't perfect, neither are we kids. But I won't exchange them for anyone else.

I pity those who have selfish parents like Paco. I hope there aren't a lot of them. I admire Alan for being a good surrogate parent for Max. The story highlights the character differences between Godfredo and Max. Is this a result of good parenting? I believe so.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

my relationship with my parents is ok. I get along with both of them now. my dad and I are on speaking terms but are not close. we see each on holidays and birthdays. my mom and I are close but not like we used to be. but I think that is due to our different work schedules
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

BunnySTx wrote:In my situation it depends on the parent. My mom and I have an okay relationship. She's been the one who's been there for me all my life and while I appreciate her sometimes I feel she oversteps her boundaries and tries to be a part of too much. Granted it doesn't help that I'm staying with her to help out around the house but we have our good moments. As for my relationship with my other parent...there is none. In my mind when it comes to him I don't exist. I think to him I am the problem child that he can ignore because it's convenient. My dad does a lot for his step-son and his family and my brother but has nothing to do with me. It upsets my mom knowing that he ignores me but it's a truth that I've had to face and that my daughter, his only grandchild, has had to face as well.
I am saddened by this revelation. This is an evidence that not all parents are good and loving.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

My relationship to my parent is cool. They make sure that they are my best friend. All my decisions, they wanted to know. They won't oppose but gives advises.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Donnavila Marie01

Miriam Molina wrote:My mom has passed on (she was 81) and my dad is 89. They have done their best in loving all of us 5 children. They aren't perfect, neither are we kids. But I won't exchange them for anyone else.

I pity those who have selfish parents like Paco. I hope there aren't a lot of them. I admire Alan for being a good surrogate parent for Max. The story highlights the character differences between Godfredo and Max. Is this a result of good parenting? I believe so.
Sometimes, parents who are loving and caring have had a happy experience with their parents. There were also those who have had painful experience but they choose to break the chain by loving their kids.
seun doris
Currently Reading: The sunset at Tropex
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seun-doris.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by seun doris »

very good, lovely as i am very close to my mom and dad
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Donnavila Marie01

Kalin Adi wrote:My mom raised me, so I get along really well with her. She's a very hardworking woman. She knows hot to sew and makes clothes for me. She's like another friend. However, even though I didn't grow with my dad, we get along as well. He's very talkative and smart.
You are fortunate that you still have both of your parents even if your father is not always with you. I admire parents who see to it that they still let their presence be felt by their children even if their matrimonial relationship is gone.
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

I had been best friends with my Mom; always frank and direct in our conversations. It was quite hard to understand my peers at school as they would always complain about their parents and I could say great things about my Mom. Now, when she is gone, I have only one person left so close to me as she was.
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

I have a very good relationship with my mom. We always talk from time to time and even though we're both busy with our own affairs, we still find time to talk with each other. She's my buddy :)
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

I have a good relationship with my mom; we're quite close. My father, on the other hand...not so much. The chauvinism is tiring, at best.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

My parents and I are extremely close. I've always been a daddy's girl. My mother and I had a rough spot during my teenage years, but once I grew up and realized everything she did was truly for the best even if I hated it at the time, we got a lot closer. Having a kid myself has also helped bring us together. They're my best friends. I talk to at least one of them every single day.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

My relationship with my parents is very strong. We love each other and support each other in every situation. I am so blessed to have amazing parents.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
pontiac21
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pontiac21.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by pontiac21 »

my mom and i will never have that strong mother daughter relationship that so many are blessed with. my dad and me growing up had a good relationship till my mom ruined it. It's gotten better over the years.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by EmunahAn »

My relationship with my parents has not always been easy but overall, we have had some pretty good times too.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

It's always been shaky. There are some instances where we do get along, but so far those are few and far in between. Our arguments would usually consist of them telling me to focus on my school and career instead of writing and reading. I tell them I already am, and that I'm tired of that being the only thing we talk about. And the discussion sort of ends there. They're good parents in their own way, when they aren't berating me or my brothers.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”