Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Expansion"

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Expansion"

Post by mratdegraff91 »

gali wrote:This is a discussion topic for the August 2017 Book of the Month, "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin.

What is your overall opinion of "The Expansion"? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not? Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on Bookshelves.
I enjoyed reading this novel. The characters were easy to fall in love with and the storyline was easy for me to follow. I would recommend this to my friends.
Madison Degraffenreid
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Well , I am always a huge fan of thriller so I loved it. What I loved the most about it is that it explains many important issues like corruption, suicide and so on. What I didn't like was that ending somehow left me hanging. Moreover, I would recommend it to everyone interested in thriller
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Nwoko Solomon Ikechu
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-solomon-ikechu.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Nwoko Solomon Ikechu »

I can say that "The Expansion' By Christopher Martin is a story born more of experience than the just sense of fiction. It is a story that tells stages one could pass through in life and the challenges (pains and joy/relief) that follow the stages. Life is ups and downs, happy moments (often short leaved) and sad boring moments which often takes the longer aspects of man.

The story contains strong story line that however has some breakages and partial connections in-between the story line. It expresses misfortunes that one could face in life, caused by the person, others or circumstances. There are the scenes of murder, betrayal, deceit, crime and of cause love.

The writer presents his work as a historical fiction, depicting things that can envelope when men contest for power and positions; just like the contest to expand the Panama Canal. Though the story has story line, but it did not flow at the same pace at all time. It gets one curious, but along the line, one is tempted to feel disappointed because, the curiosity is not quenched some of the time. But since this is a fiction, it is not a fault because the author is at liberty to present his story the way he likes or wants.

However, I think that the story, especially the ending was hurried up, in other words, it has a sudden end. This notwithstanding, the story is interesting and entertaining. I agree with reviewers who rate the book with both 3 out of 4 and 4 out of 4 stars.

If the author will let out what prompted this story and why ending the story the way he did, I think it will go a long way to quench the curiosity of anxious readers. And if anyone has suggestion on this, let's discuss- what do think?
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

I haven't read the book yet and I'm almost wondering if I should. The reviews on the book page are all 3's which should indicate a pretty good book but the comments in this thread make it seem like most of the reviewers were a bit generous.

Would anyone actually reccomend the book to their friends? The thread titles this month look incredibly interesting but the impression I get is that very few people would read the book if it wasn't BOTM.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I was expecting a lot from the book because of the exciting prologue. Sadly, it didn't deliver. A lot of questions were left unanswered. I rate it a generous 3 out of 4.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I rated the book 4 out of 4 because it is a perfect story for me. Not everybody loves politics but I find this book timely and professionally edited. This book perfectly served its purpose.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

I really want to read this book but lately I've been having second thoughts about it. I guess I'll read it first before judging it.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

kandscreeley wrote:I think I'm broken right now. This is another book that I started and just didn't have a desire to finish. It wasn't bad. I just can't seem to finish it. I'm interested to see everyone else's opinions, though.
I too felt this way, but the last 15% of the book it comes alive and is worth the wait.
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

Since I only read the sample, the reviews and all of your comments I still find it hard to choose whether this book as great as I thought it will be from the first impression. The more comments I read, the more of you refer to it as not so captivating, however political conflicts, and quite realistic ones, definitely get my attention. Still I am afraid it won't be able to keep my full obsession till the end and I will be rather disappointed with it, whilst I am still captivated by the story from the beginning. Your comments mean a lot, thanks!
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I read a sample of this book and it seemed quite interesting. I plan on reading it but I hope it not one of those books that seem promising at the start but then become a drag later.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I have not yet read it. So, I would not give it any rating right now.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Elvis Akpabli
Currently Reading: Across the Ocean
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-akpabli.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by Elvis Akpabli »

I think what is important is to note that the setting of the book makes reading it appear slow. It should not be counted against the book. It would rather best be recommended for very leisurely occasions like a holiday in the country side or some similar occasion where the reader is not being hassled about by time.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

I'm not a fan of cliff hangers and that's why I gave it 3 stars, otherwise, its a great book that i'd definitely recommend to other readers.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I read a few reviews of the book and though I am not much into political thrillers, it seems good. I have started to read it and it seems good right now, but it is still too early to react.
aussiebooklover
Currently Reading: Absolute Power
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by aussiebooklover »

This is a book you have to read till the end to really understand it! As I did I really enjoyed it immensely :D
With regards to the cliffhanger ( only about Karis, all other issues are resolved) I read that there is a sequel coming soon - can't wait to read that!

-- 19 Aug 2017, 02:05 --
Gnome wrote:I haven't read the book yet and I'm almost wondering if I should. The reviews on the book page are all 3's which should indicate a pretty good book but the comments in this thread make it seem like most of the reviewers were a bit generous.

Would anyone actually reccomend the book to their friends? The thread titles this month look incredibly interesting but the impression I get is that very few people would read the book if it wasn't BOTM.
I read the reviews on the book page and with one exception only they are ALL giving 4/4 stars which I fully support. Also the ratings and reviews on Amazon are great. In addition I just saw that it is the front runner for Book Of The Year ... So it cannot be that bad after all :roll:

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”