Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Off-Topic » Review Team Support Forum (Private)

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Tips for note taking?

This is not the forum to submit your reviews. If you are trying to post a review for the Review Team, please go to the Private Review Team Forum.

This subforum is a place where reviewers can discuss the Review Team. This forum is for asking questions, helping each other, and making polite suggestions.

This forum is not for debates or complaints.

If you have a question or suggestion unrelated to the Review Team, you must post it in the Public Suggestion Box instead.

Tips for note taking?

Post Number:#1 by Aarondupont202
» 14 Nov 2017, 09:27

I am very new to writing thoughtful reviews and I am struggling with keeping notes to stay organized. Does anyone have any tips or advice that I might be able to use to better help my note taking so that I can get my thoughts into the review eaiser? As of now I feel like I am just writing nonsense when I compare my work to others reviews. Anything will help :mrgreen:
Aarondupont202's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Aarondupont202

Currently Reading: Wizard and Glass
Bookshelf Size: 13 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Tips for note taking?

Post Number:#2 by MsTri
» 14 Nov 2017, 21:31

Hello, @Aarondupont202, and welcome to reviewing! I've only been reviewing here since July, but if you look at my Review History, you'll see that MY first few were pretty bad, and I think that's because I was more focused on making sure I hit all the check-boxes - "Is it at least 400 words and 5 paragraphs? Did I talk about characters and environment? Did I note any relevant themes? Did I make recommendations for who should read this? and so on - but once I had that down, I felt more free to put my personal stamp on them, so my more recent ones, I think, are 1000x better.

But, to answer your question -- Since I don't know YOU, I don't know what will work for you, but I save a notepad document for each book I review and as I read, I note things that stand out. For instance, if it's badly edited, I may note "badly edited, see pages 14, 32, and 59 with the following examples: 'quotes' " or "bad character development; they were too stiff" or "unanswered questions: examples being blah, bleh, and bluh". I also note the positives, too, for example, "Really liked John's joke on page 15, which goes 'quote' "... I basically just give myself just enough info so that I don't forget things I wanted to remember and include specifics to I can go back to those pages later. Then, when I write the review, I note each of those things in the relevant paragraph(s) and, of course, elaborate and make it sound better.

Also, and this is just me, I REALLY like for my first two lines to grab the reader's attention, so if I thin of the perfect way to start the review, I write that down, as well, so I don't forget by the time it's time to write.

Good luck on finding your way; I'm sure you'll do great. :D
MsTri

Favorite Book: The Prodigal Son
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 108 books

View Reviewer Page

Re: Tips for note taking?

Post Number:#3 by kislany
» 17 Nov 2017, 10:50

There are a few things that I do as well. First of all, I do read most of my books on my iPad (I usually read in the evening when I'm away from my pc). Most eBook readers have an annotaion option with a few different choices, which I use to the fullest. For example, as soon as I come across grammatical or spelling (or even formatting) errors in the book, I higlight them with one color as I read the book. Or, if i come across a paragraph that I want to refer back in my review, I use another type of annotation (e.g. a box around the paragraph). Then later I can open all those annotations (just like a table of contents) and can click through each of them to see what was the point I was issue/point there.

For ideas, I use a notepad type of app on my iPad to which I switch while reading as soon as a particular idea hits me. For example, while reading a book, at some point I thought that I have to mention two additional characters because they add to the entire story, so I highlighted the paragraph (or beginning of the page) where those characters interacted. Or I notice that the author didn't spend too much time on something that could have been better illustrated, so I add that note to the notepad as well because I know otherwise I will probably forget to mention that in my review. And when I actually write my review, I have my iPad next to my computer and review the notepad ideas as well as the highlights I did within the ebook itself.

Not sure how much these tips help, but that's my way of doing it.
kislany
Member of the Month

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65 books

View Reviewer Page