Marrying your coworker

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Marrying your coworker

Post by Doaa Wael »

In the book, Yaser and Mariam were both surgeons in the same hospital who fell in love and got married

Do you think marrying someone who works in the same place as you Is a good or bad experience? What is its perks and its drawbacks?

Is anyone here married to a spouse who shares the same work place?
Imagination Trumps Reality.
LELGO24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LELGO24 »

I think marrying your coworker has its ups and downs. One advantage is that you both understand each other starting with your economic to your social lives. Take for an instance your spouse hada bad day at work, it is easier for the other spouse to reason and comfort the other. This will improve the communication in their relationship hence a better marriage.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html

Post by Doaa Wael »

LELGO24 wrote:I think marrying your coworker has its ups and downs. One advantage is that you both understand each other starting with your economic to your social lives. Take for an instance your spouse hada bad day at work, it is easier for the other spouse to reason and comfort the other. This will improve the communication in their relationship hence a better marriage.

That is a very important point, understanding the similar struggles will make a difference
Imagination Trumps Reality.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

I'm not married to a coworker and have never dated one, and I wouldn't want to. I love my SO, but I need some space. I couldn't imagine having to see them for 8-9 hours of the day in such a stressful situation, then spend time with them when we get home. It'd be 24-hour time with them. Idc how much I love them, that much time with anyone would drive me crazy, ha ha.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

There seems to be a rule of thumb that you shouldn't do that, but I don't see any harm or disadvantage in it. It really depends on the people involved. In the book, I don't think their proximity played any influence in the deterioration of Yasser and Miriam's marriage. It's more of an internal thing.
Lincolnshirelass
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I don't see any reason why it can't work, but there could be some sensitive issues, especially in the dating phase. I think it's wrong to have rules against it. A good friend of mine was told she couldn't even apply for a job at a local store as her husband was one of the supervisors. My main co-worker (male) and I enjoy an easy relationship of being really good platonic mates. In a slight variant, when I was a child I was sometimes in the position of my Mum being my teacher. At first it caused some issues with the other children but they realised that she was stricter with me than with anyone else.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I think it can have its advantages and it's disadvantages. It would be nice to work together, however, I think that work is a space where one can get well, space from the other person.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

As everything in life, it has pros and cons. But the important question I think remains the same, did you married for the right reasons? If so, you can deal with the cons as they come up.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
Liquid_canvas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liquid-canvas.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Liquid_canvas »

I wouldn't marry a co-worker. The truth is that would get to me. There would be no separation between work and home, then to make matters worse the conversations would be about the same environment so the intrigue that could come from hearing about your day would be gone.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by TheWriteAngel »

The one advantage I can think of is that they would understand your work and your passion for it, which is an important factor in a relationship. However, being around one another constantly at the workplace and home would get a bit too much. I'd like to have some space just for myself.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I don't know if it's entirely relevant to consider someone you worked with at a deli during college "your coworker"...

That being said, my husband and I met working at a deli when I was a sophomore in college and he was in his 5th of 6th sophomore year...haha

The rest is history.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I have never been in the situation, but I am sure like anything it has its benefits and its undesirable consequences. Still, I would hope that if a couple were meant to be together that they could work past whatever issues arise with the situation. Personally, I need some time alone, so if I couldn't find that at work, I would have to adjust other aspects of my life to make time there.
ktom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktom.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by ktom »

My ex-husband and I worked together when we first got married and it worked out great. The good side was that we both understood about how stressful our jobs were and we got to see each other throughout the day. For me, there was no downside, because we both had separate lives outside of work. I was an athlete and he was a musician so we were able to enjoy our free time separately and not feel guilty about not seeing each other.
"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea." - Henry James
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Doaa Wael wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 15:16 In the book, Yaser and Mariam were both surgeons in the same hospital who fell in love and got married

Do you think marrying someone who works in the same place as you Is a good or bad experience? What is its perks and its drawbacks?

Is anyone here married to a spouse who shares the same work place?
Speaking about my own experience but with no intention to be prejudiced against people who had it differently (and I admire those who were still able to strike a balance), being in the same profession and workplace as my husband's had been something I tried to change.

Having the same inclinations and priorities may have made me understand my husband more, but there really are drawbacks. Being compared to my very able husband more often than not is one. More seriously speaking (though not meaning that my previous reason totally isn't true, too), the most important reason is that we both had not much time but would like to provide the best for our kids. We still felt thankful for the (what may be considered as relatively-successful) career we used to have then, but I preferred and thus sought out to make things different and hoped for the better. Things improved a bit later on and we could have made it work somehow still, but we both grabbed the opportunity to migrate that we applied and waited on for more than two years prior, resigned from our previous work, and went into totally different fields that we could go to...all for our children's sake.

There's always hope.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

I think it causes too much togetherness. Some absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”