How much of a Romance Novel is My Trip To Adele?

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
OMOFAYE Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omofaye-victor.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

How much of a Romance Novel is My Trip To Adele?

Post by OMOFAYE Victor »

While ‘My Trip to Adele’ was an easy read and had some element of fun therein, I was disappointed that it was classified as a Romance novel. It was short of my expectations of a typical romance novel such as works like ‘Escape’ by Belle Ami, ‘Ever After’ by H.M Irwing and many other romance novels. What do you think? How much of a Romance novel is it?
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I agree that My Trip to Adele was not so much a traditional romance novel. Perhaps it was categorized as this because Nadia had love for her son, Elias for Malika and Yasser for Mariam. But there was no hint of the passion or love scenes that are typical of a romance. But regardless, I thought it was a really good novel.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

Romance is a pretty widespread genre, but I don't think I classify this as romance. It focused on relationships, but I definitely agree it didn't have the certain feel or style of a regular romance novel to me. I read Escape by Belle Ami, The Bonding by Imogen Keeper, Making Her His by Lucy Leroux and Hello! My Love by Evy Journey. All of those are what I would classify as romance. My Trip to Adele I feel would have been better classified as just fiction or contemporary fiction.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

It's not the typical romance were used to, but I still classify it as romance because the notion of "will they or won't they make it as a couple" is a major part the plotline, which is a major element in a romance. I think this is a kind of inspirational romance, a sub-genre of romance which usually has spiritual and religious beliefs as an integral part of the romantic relationship.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Richard heddey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Richard heddey »

It's not the typical romance were used to, but I still classify it as romance because the notion of "will they or won't they make it as a couple" is a major part the plotline, which is a major element in a romance. I think this is a kind of inspirational romance, a sub-genre of romance which usually has spiritual and religious beliefs as an integral part of the romantic relationship.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

It wasn't romance. It talked about love, but it wasn't romantic, it was..uhm..realistic often sad :D
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

No, this is certainly not a typical romance novel. It does include a lot of discussion about relationships, but most of this discussion is about the realistic struggles and issues within them. There is certainly love between the characters, but it wasn't like most other romance novels that I can think of.
ktom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktom.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by ktom »

I agree it didn't feel like a traditional romance novel, but I was still captivated by the love of Elias for Malika, and the faded love of Yasir and Mariam, especially the love of Elias and Malika. At the end, my heart ached for all of the characters, so that's a good response to a romance novel, right? :lol2:
"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea." - Henry James
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

I was also shocked to find this categorized as a romance novel. The only romantic aspects it seemed to have was the general theme of love, but even then it was more a theme of moving on rather than love. If it was up to me, I would have classified it as general fiction.
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Post by rcarr13 »

I haven't read this book yet, but I am not a huge fan of romance novels. This one sounds like it may be lacking the exact things I don't care for in a romance. There might actually be a wider audience if it was classified differently. Now that I know it isn't a traditional romance I might consider reading it.
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

I do not really think is romance, is not a traditional romance, it only touches the theme of love. The plots going for a different category.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

OMOFAYE Victor wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 18:41 While ‘My Trip to Adele’ was an easy read and had some element of fun therein, I was disappointed that it was classified as a Romance novel. It was short of my expectations of a typical romance novel such as works like ‘Escape’ by Belle Ami, ‘Ever After’ by H.M Irwing and many other romance novels. What do you think? How much of a Romance novel is it?
I did notice some romantic tinges in the book. However, I wouldn't (and eventually didn't in my book review) take it as a Romance piece, as far as the most traditional definitions of such genre is concerned, too. As it is a translated work, I'm not so sure whether the romanticism just got "lost in translation" or whether it was deliberately done in such a way that it becomes more of a compilation of human interest stories with the very popular singing idol primarily in mind.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Espie

Post by Espie »

Elle Howard wrote: 20 Sep 2017, 19:05 I agree that My Trip to Adele was not so much a traditional romance novel. Perhaps it was categorized as this because Nadia had love for her son, Elias for Malika and Yasser for Mariam. But there was no hint of the passion or love scenes that are typical of a romance. But regardless, I thought it was a really good novel.
Those were the traditional romantic flavours that I did not see in the book, too. I also agree that it was a good book.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
Espie

Post by Espie »

cherryalakei wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 20:00 Romance is a pretty widespread genre, but I don't think I classify this as romance. It focused on relationships, but I definitely agree it didn't have the certain feel or style of a regular romance novel to me. I read Escape by Belle Ami, The Bonding by Imogen Keeper, Making Her His by Lucy Leroux and Hello! My Love by Evy Journey. All of those are what I would classify as romance. My Trip to Adele I feel would have been better classified as just fiction or contemporary fiction.
Decades ago, I've read the works of Sydney Sheldon and Danielle Steel from my mother's collection. Those, and not My Trip to Adele, are what I would usually classify as romantic novels.
Espie

Post by Espie »

ifeoma obike wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 17:56 It's not the typical romance were used to, but I still classify it as romance because the notion of "will they or won't they make it as a couple" is a major part the plotline, which is a major element in a romance. I think this is a kind of inspirational romance, a sub-genre of romance which usually has spiritual and religious beliefs as an integral part of the romantic relationship.
That's interesting. As the book won't fit within the traditional purview of a romantic novel, I'm not rejecting the proposition that it could be a derivative version of the genre.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”