Malika's Character Development

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Re: Malika's Character Development

Post by Espie »

ktom wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 13:58 I think her development was spot on and she had to do what she did to Elias at the end because otherwise, the audience would see that she wasn't being true to herself. Eight years had passed and she could not have kept her innocence that long, so I was saddened by the ending, but it was appropriate. :)
I agree that we all need her role to enlighten us a bit more about what could be. The outcome was a surprise to me but not a rejected one, too.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Espie

Post by Espie »

onixpam wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 11:50 I really thought they will end up together, but maybe that was not meant to be. She realizes that she is capable of doing anything and she did not need anyone to achieve her goals.
I hoped for that, too. I also agree that she may have needed to grow even further and become the ultimate-best version of herself and that her separation from Elias could help her achieve that.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
Espie

Post by Espie »

strawberrysab wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 16:13
KatieSavage wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 20:44 It made me sad that they didn't end up together. She freed herself, but she had been tied down for so long that it has left permanent scars. She became someone else entirely and she lost what Elias had loved so much about her. She had lost some amount of joy for living. I don't know if she will be happier with or without Elias. I really didn't like what had happened at the end with them. I was hoping he would accept the new Malika and love her just as much as he loved the old Malika. It just made me so sad!!!
When I realized that there was no happy ending for them, my first reaction was heartbreak. Then I thought, this is how real life works. We tend to forget that everybody changes. Malika has changed a lot, but Elias did too. He realized he was holding on to a memory of something (and someone) who didn't exist anymore and did the right thing. He moved on.
I'm thinking and hoping it would be for the best for both of them, too.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Amondi Oluoch wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 10:12 Particularly I wasn't happy. Elias loved Malika to the point of death. A man giving up her life to come stay with you calls for more than self love.
In some point I also understand her, maybe she was just getting back at him. Remember when Elias ran away when he realised Malika was a minor? It hurt her so much so I guess she grew stronger from her pains.
All in all, giving up Elias was not a good thing to do.
Whatever decision Malika (and Elias) decided on, I hope such would be for the better. Who knows, they might still find their way back to each other again, once they've completely found what they wanted for their own selves.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Bukari wrote: 15 May 2018, 09:20 Malika's character initially made me sick. She grew up in prostitution and also earned a living through that. But, as the clock tickled she changed into a new leaf leaving all the bad aside her. Well, I like the fact that she had a new mindset of changing from a dirty life style to a clean one.
I agree that we all need the chance to live a good and decent life. I admire those who grab a pristine opportunity at redemption when such finally arises.
biscuits
Favorite Book: Life is an open secret
Currently Reading: How to win and influence people
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biscuits.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by biscuits »

KatieSavage wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 20:44 It made me sad that they didn't end up together. She freed herself, but she had been tied down for so long that it has left permanent scars. She became someone else entirely and she lost what Elias had loved so much about her. She had lost some amount of joy for living. I don't know if she will be happier with or without Elias. I really didn't like what had happened at the end with them. I was hoping he would accept the new Malika and love her just as much as he loved the old Malika. It just made me so sad!!!
It was good she strove to develop herself and succeeded in doing so but I just didn't know why Elias didn't stay. Not meeting someone for eight good years and you still expect the person to be same? How is that possible?
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

I loved what happened at the end with ALL the characters. They all had to come out of their illusions and into the real world, which, as it turned out, was not so bad after all.
Jroberts602
Currently Reading: Manhattan Beach
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jroberts602.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by Jroberts602 »

I felt like Elias objectified her a little bit because he mostly just described her beauty and how enraptured her was by it. (Thank goodness he didn't sleep with her, given her revelation about her age!) I have a hard time in movies when the characters fall in love over a very short time span. I feel like it takes a lot of time to truly get to know someone. But she was admirable in her pursuit of her goals, and he was admirable for not falling prey to his lust. I'm okay with them not ending up together, and maybe now he can move on with less nostalgia.
Shaimaa
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaimaa.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Shaimaa »

Espie wrote: 27 May 2018, 20:51
Shaimaa wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 15:22
ritah wrote: I was alright with the ending because it's reflective of life and romance - in real life seldom do we get happy endings or end up together and after so long of being apart you find that you've outgrown each other and probably don't mesh/gel with each other's new personality and ambitions in life. C'est La Vie . Got to be okay with letting go too.
I totally understand what you mean, especially how time affects and changes us.
Acceptance and moving on would be ideal indeed. Humans have feelings, which for me are also essential to the whole healing process.
Totally agree with you.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

I really liked her bubbly and confident character. I think the ending of their story fit well.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”