Malika's Character Development

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Shaimaa
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaimaa.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
fav_author_id: 2719

Malika's Character Development

Post by Shaimaa »

I like the development in Malika's character and her determination. She learned English, set herself free, and traveled. She realized who she is and what she wants from life. Then she managed to untie herself from Elias and her old self, too.

What do you think of her? Were you pleased with what happened between her and Elias during the concert at the end?
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
KatieSavage
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesavage.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by KatieSavage »

It made me sad that they didn't end up together. She freed herself, but she had been tied down for so long that it has left permanent scars. She became someone else entirely and she lost what Elias had loved so much about her. She had lost some amount of joy for living. I don't know if she will be happier with or without Elias. I really didn't like what had happened at the end with them. I was hoping he would accept the new Malika and love her just as much as he loved the old Malika. It just made me so sad!!!
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Shaimaa

Post by Shaimaa »

KatieSavage wrote:It made me sad that they didn't end up together. She freed herself, but she had been tied down for so long that it has left permanent scars. She became someone else entirely and she lost what Elias had loved so much about her. She had lost some amount of joy for living. I don't know if she will be happier with or without Elias. I really didn't like what had happened at the end with them. I was hoping he would accept the new Malika and love her just as much as he loved the old Malika. It just made me so sad!!!

I thought it was kind of heartbreaking, too.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Shaimaa wrote:I like the development in Malika's character and her determination. She learned English, set herself free, and traveled. She realized who she is and what she wants from life. Then she managed to untie herself from Elias and her old self, too.

What do you think of her? Were you pleased with what happened between her and Elias during the concert at the end?
I was alright with the ending because it's reflective of life and romance - in real life seldom do we get happy endings or end up together and after so long of being apart you find that you've outgrown each other and probably don't mesh/gel with each other's new personality and ambitions in life. C'est La Vie . Got to be okay with letting go too.
Shaimaa

Post by Shaimaa »

ritah wrote:
Shaimaa wrote:I like the development in Malika's character and her determination. She learned English, set herself free, and traveled. She realized who she is and what she wants from life. Then she managed to untie herself from Elias and her old self, too.

I was alright with the ending because it's reflective of life and romance - in real life seldom do we get happy endings or end up together and after so long of being apart you find that you've outgrown each other and probably don't mesh/gel with each other's new personality and ambitions in life. C'est La Vie . Got to be okay with letting go too.
I totally understand what you mean, especially how time affects and changes us.
ktom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktom.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by ktom »

I think her development was spot on and she had to do what she did to Elias at the end because otherwise, the audience would see that she wasn't being true to herself. Eight years had passed and she could not have kept her innocence that long, so I was saddened by the ending, but it was appropriate. :)
"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea." - Henry James
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

I really thought they will end up together, but maybe that was not meant to be. She realizes that she is capable of doing anything and she did not need anyone to achieve her goals.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

KatieSavage wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 20:44 It made me sad that they didn't end up together. She freed herself, but she had been tied down for so long that it has left permanent scars. She became someone else entirely and she lost what Elias had loved so much about her. She had lost some amount of joy for living. I don't know if she will be happier with or without Elias. I really didn't like what had happened at the end with them. I was hoping he would accept the new Malika and love her just as much as he loved the old Malika. It just made me so sad!!!
When I realized that there was no happy ending for them, my first reaction was heartbreak. Then I thought, this is how real life works. We tend to forget that everybody changes. Malika has changed a lot, but Elias did too. He realized he was holding on to a memory of something (and someone) who didn't exist anymore and did the right thing. He moved on.
Berry :wine:
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

Particularly I wasn't happy. Elias loved Malika to the point of death. A man giving up her life to come stay with you calls for more than self love.
In some point I also understand her, maybe she was just getting back at him. Remember when Elias ran away when he realised Malika was a minor? It hurt her so much so I guess she grew stronger from her pains.
All in all, giving up Elias was not a good thing to do.
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

Malika's character initially made me sick. She grew up in prostitution and also earned a living through that. But, as the clock tickled she changed into a new leaf leaving all the bad aside her. Well, I like the fact that she had a new mindset of changing from a dirty life style to a clean one.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Shaimaa wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 17:04 I like the development in Malika's character and her determination. She learned English, set herself free, and traveled. She realized who she is and what she wants from life. Then she managed to untie herself from Elias and her old self, too.

I think Malika defies usual stereotypes cast on her profession. She reinforces the dictum that we should never really "judge the book by its cover." We should really learn how to be less prejudicial and be more accepting and respectful of others, no matter what we may initially think.

Just as she emancipates herself from Elias, so did the latter from Malika. Another cliche is that "distance makes the heart grows fonder." Maybe they needed space to have a more objective look at the developments in their lives. Who knows, they may still ultimately find their way back to each other once more.

There's always hope.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Espie

Post by Espie »

KatieSavage wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 20:44 It made me sad that they didn't end up together. She freed herself, but she had been tied down for so long that it has left permanent scars. She became someone else entirely and she lost what Elias had loved so much about her. She had lost some amount of joy for living. I don't know if she will be happier with or without Elias. I really didn't like what had happened at the end with them. I was hoping he would accept the new Malika and love her just as much as he loved the old Malika. It just made me so sad!!!
I was expecting and even hoping that theirs would end up as a happily-ever-story, too.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
Espie

Post by Espie »

Shaimaa wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 03:58
KatieSavage wrote:It made me sad that they didn't end up together. She freed herself, but she had been tied down for so long that it has left permanent scars. She became someone else entirely and she lost what Elias had loved so much about her. She had lost some amount of joy for living. I don't know if she will be happier with or without Elias. I really didn't like what had happened at the end with them. I was hoping he would accept the new Malika and love her just as much as he loved the old Malika. It just made me so sad!!!

I thought it was kind of heartbreaking, too.
Same here. I guess I've never grown up out of my fairy-tale story days after all.
Espie

Post by Espie »

ritah wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 12:33

We all know what reality is. Also in real life, hoping if not just totally aiming for the good outcomes is an essential part of why we continue to wake up each day and go on with our lives.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Shaimaa wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 15:22
ritah wrote:

I totally understand what you mean, especially how time affects and changes us.
Acceptance and moving on would be ideal indeed. Humans have feelings, which for me are also essential to the whole healing process.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”