Prostitution as a source of income

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Prostitution as a source of income

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

In the novel, Malika, a 13 years old child, is practicing prostitution while pointing out her father's disgrace as the reason for her involvement in this shameful business. Her parents are also supporting her since they obtain income out of it. All these revolve around poverty in their home. I felt so much annoyed while I was reading this and I think poverty cannot be driven out by such business, especially at an early age of 13 years. Suppose Malika was your daughter, Would you have made such a decision? If not why?
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Child prostitution should not be allowed under whatever circumstance. These parents should be prosecuted. If it's a matter of poverty, they are the adults and should be the ones to make ends meet.
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

No matter what might have happened, I cannot allow my daughter to get involved in such profession. It brings shame and disgrace, and nonetheless, it is not a way out of poverty.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

Rosemary Okoko wrote:Child prostitution should not be allowed under whatever circumstance. These parents should be prosecuted. If it's a matter of poverty, they are the adults and should be the ones to make ends meet.
Very interesting! Agree with you. In the 21st century nobody is allowed to practice that.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

If Mallika was an adult, it would've been an entirely different matter since she was mature enough to choose whether she wanted to do it or not. I feel that at the tender age of 13, it was criminal to make her work as a prostitute.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

child prostitution is an offence punish able by law in almost all the countries in the world so for me it's not just a matter of morality but of legislation. I would never allow such a thing in my house
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Richard Mudd
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-mudd.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Richard Mudd »

Western morals dictate that child prostitution is wrong and I can only agree with that; however, where I live grinding poverty is the norm and if I were in that situation I really don't know what I would do to survive. I guess that until one has walked in the other man's shoes for a while,it's impossible to say. It's all too easy to judge others but you need to know that they will judge you too.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
FireFairy
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=20590">A Court of Thorns and Roses</a>
Currently Reading: Deity
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefairy.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by FireFairy »

If she was my daughter I would insure she would never have to go through such a terrible thing, especially at her young age, but really at any age. I would protect my children no matter what, and there are always other jobs or ways to make money. Even if worse case scenario there were no other jobs, I would sooner prostitute myself than make my daughter go through that Hell. I would do anything and everything to protect my family from the horrors of the world, even if that meant sacrificing myself, but I do believe I'm smart enough to hopefully find another solution.
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

When we decide not to do something because it is wrong, we find another way (a good one) to get out of a difficult situation. But it calls for patience and faith.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Ana Njeri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-njeri.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ana Njeri »

Someone once said, "for if we loose ourselves, what have we got left?"

Prostitution corrupts ones soul for a mere penny. It demeans and lowers a person's self dignity.

But before you judge a man, walk in his shoes first, live his life, tell his story then you can judge the man. If malika was my daughter, I wouldn't corrupt her soul like that for a mere penny. Inspite of the fact that poverty pushes people to do desperate things, I would make the choice to persevere instead of pushing my daughter to engage in prostitution. In other words, I would search for the needle in the haystack.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that's not what ships are for. So be the person outside the box, get out of your comfort zone, that's the person you want to be.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I would not have let my daughter go into prostitution as a minor for any reason. That being said, when my son was 11, he wanted a shotgun. In order to get this gun, he had to do concrete work for a weekend (completely safe part of the work and supervised). I started babysitting at 12 to help out. There are times when it takes everyone in the family to make ends meet, but I do not think it should stretch to the point of prostitution.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Jan Moraa Onsomu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9266">Kite Runner</a>
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jan-moraa-onsomu.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Jan Moraa Onsomu »

Poverty is dehumanising. It was the cause of all the misery in Malika's family. The wife was too ashamed of her husband and probably supported Malika in her prostitution in a bid to have her husband quit dancing. It was so disheartening. But whatever the case, no child should be exposed to prostitution to make ends meet.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Yeosin Mary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Yeosin Mary »

Prostitution at the age 13? That's child abuse. Even do no matter the age or reasons it's still wrong and this can affect one life permanently.
Serina Vitrino
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serina-vitrino.html
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris

Post by Serina Vitrino »

Child prostitution is horrible, that is disgusting. Adult prostitutes only do it to survive though it would be ideal if nobody were compelled to sell themselves; it's degrading.
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

There is definitely no justification in subjecting a child to the horrors of prostitution. I believe its the parents responsibility to nurture and provide for their children at all costs. The parents brought them to this world so they without exception need to take their God given responsibility seriously.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”