A parent being able to block a child from traveling?

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Mszymonik
Favorite Author: Gamel Abdullah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mszymonik.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 224589

A parent being able to block a child from traveling?

Post by Mszymonik »

Hi all,

Sadly, the situation that Nadia was in when she took her child to the airport, only to find out that his father flagged his passport (I'm assuming that's what he did?) is a common occurrence among parents who are separated or divorced. I have been in this situation myself. Could anyone relate to a last-minute forced change of plans because of the vindictiveness of the child's other parent?

Monica

-- 21 Jul 2017, 17:31 --
myprecious
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myprecious.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by myprecious »

Hi Monica,
I was angry at the situation and the father playing kind of "power tripping" as a vengeance to his ex-wife at the expense of his own child. I want to cry in frustration reading this scene. But standing ovation to Nadia for a wise choice on how to react even though she is filled with anger. The right time will come for the father to reap the fruit of his vindictiveness (may I borrow your word). In the end my heart goes to strong women like you are and Nadia.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

It's unfortunate that the father apparently didn't discuss his wishes with Nadia regarding the kid's ability to travel but instead took unilateral action that caused frustration and confusion. That kind of action drives wedges deeper between parents and puts the child in a tough position between them. With the high incidence of parents kidnapping their own children away from an ex-partner's custody, however, I understand why authorities permit parents to set up protections that prevent children from travelling.
Awad Sharar
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awad-sharar.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by Awad Sharar »

It's the law, and citizens have to abide by. Some mothers, mostly the foreign ones, never turn back home if they travel with their kid(s) abroad. Nadia should have made some arrangements with her ex before getting to the airport.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Awad Sharar wrote:It's the law, and citizens have to abide by. Some mothers, mostly the foreign ones, never turn back home if they travel with their kid(s) abroad. Nadia should have made some arrangements with her ex before getting to the airport.
But she did make arrangements with her ex. He retracted his permission at the last minute to get back at her.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

L_Therese wrote:It's unfortunate that the father apparently didn't discuss his wishes with Nadia regarding the kid's ability to travel but instead took unilateral action that caused frustration and confusion. That kind of action drives wedges deeper between parents and puts the child in a tough position between them. With the high incidence of parents kidnapping their own children away from an ex-partner's custody, however, I understand why authorities permit parents to set up protections that prevent children from travelling.
:text-yeahthat: :ditto: :text-goodpost:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Knowing how much that trip meant to Waleed, I was really frustrated at the choice the father made to get back at his wife - so petty.
I know this to occur in real life between separated parents who don't get along with each other anymore and really have no sense of trust in each other.
michiness
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michiness.html
Latest Review: "An Unexpected Life" by Victoria Ortiz

Post by michiness »

I couldn't even imagine. That would make me so furious! But then again, I know it's for good reasons, so that a parent can't just take the child without the other's consent.
Latest Review: "An Unexpected Life" by Victoria Ortiz
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I also didn't like that scene with the father. I felt it was very selfish of him to keep his child from traveling out of anger with the mother. Unfortunately, in the world it is common to see children get hurt by being in the middle of their parents' feud.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

No matter what happen between parents, it shouldn't affect their children happiness.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

It is sad, but it happens and quite often from what I understand. I know of a family that went through this when the British mother wanted to take her child back home from an Arab country (forgot which one it was, it's been a while). She could leave, but she couldn't take her daughter because the husband had the say in the affairs. Frustrating, to say the least.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Awad Sharar wrote:It's the law, and citizens have to abide by. Some mothers, mostly the foreign ones, never turn back home if they travel with their kid(s) abroad. Nadia should have made some arrangements with her ex before getting to the airport.
Nadia did make those arrangements. Her ex was vindictive and didn't tell her that he changed the permissions because HE wanted her to get turned away at the airport. What he did was CRUEL towards his own son.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Children shouldn't be made pawns in an estranged couple's battle. But it happens in real life, further damaging the children's fragile morale.
Everybody would agree, though, that the scene was one of the highlights of the story.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

My mom also had this problem when I was younger, although in my case she couldn't get a passport for me in the first place because my dad refused to sign off on it and apparently both parents' signatures are needed.

It's a little different (not related to travelling), but my friend's mom also couldn't get divorced because her husband literally just disappeared and they had no idea where to send the papers for him to sign. She had to wait 3 years to get remarried, and apparently she didn't hear from her ex-husband for another 2 years after that.
People can be so irresponsible sometimes, and they just don't stop to think about how their actions will affect those around them.
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

I can imagine that it can be very frustrating, especially if the parent in question is unreasonable. But it could be a life saver if you were on the other end and the action could save your child from danger.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”