Use of songs in a novel

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
TJ de Ocampo
Currently Reading: Fire in the Lake
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tj-de-ocampo.html
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Re: Use of songs in a novel

Post by TJ de Ocampo »

Yeah, same for me, I didn't like the songs primarily because I think there was too much of them. I do however like it when an author inserts poetry once in a while... but it's a device that can be easily overused.
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

I haven't read one with songs related to the novel but i would love to try one. I guess it will helpnthe reader relate more with the story. :)
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

I thank all of you who have given their comments. I value your opinions.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I can't recall reading any ones with songs or poems but I think they could spice up the novel
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

I also enjoyed the songs included in the book. I think that was one factor as to why the title of the book was "My Trip to Adele". It was not about going to the concert, but it was going through life's journey and being touched by Adele's songs all the way.

Like what I mentioned when I reviewed this book, there are many instances when we listen to a song that coincidentally expresses how we feel at that moment. There are even times when every song of an artist feels like our own life story. As a result, we develop a strong connection to the artist.

To be honest, I didn't know most of Adele's songs, but I felt like I was reading poetry when I couldn't think of the melody. I think songs and poems add artistry to the book.
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

The best book I've ever read that had music in it was The Law of Love by Laura Esquivel. The book came with a CD and the book had breaks for dancing! I've still got the CD and love the music.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

I believe songs get irritating after a whle. I like reading books with quotes instead of songs, as they're much more useful and interesting.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I have a habit of skipping through poems or quotes or lyrics, since they do not add to the plot.
Sophy Chunge
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Sophy Chunge »

It gives the idea that the authors were inspired by Adele's songs. Using songs is entertaining and creative especially when the songs relate to the story like in this case. I think it would be more interesting if original songs/poems are used, a new creation that is not someone else's work.
“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” Stephen King
Jan Moraa Onsomu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9266">Kite Runner</a>
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jan-moraa-onsomu.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Jan Moraa Onsomu »

It was amazing!!! Not all novels that incorporate songs or poems end up being nice, but this one in particular was amazing!!!! The authors did a great job.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I skipped the songs that I hadn't heard. But I read the ones i knew of, and I realized that they had used the lyrics cleverly to sum up the feelings of a chapter. The best was the last line of the book. 'This is the end'. I think it was intelligent on their part to do this.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

Being a music lover myself, I adore books with the use of songs. It makes me connect more to the plot! There's just something enchanting about the way the lyrics match perfectly with the progress of the story.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I've never actually read a book with lyrics of songs at the end of each chapter like this one but I read every last line. I especially experienced a jolt of emotion whenever I got to any chapter with a title of one of Adele's songs that I was familiar with (I don't know a lot of them). In fact, I actually feel like listening to all the ones referenced in the book so it can help me slide more into the characters and their feelings at that exact moment. Although, I must admit, it got monotonous at a point because obviously, how come Adele's song oh so just had to be the one playing at every interval? Still, it was something different.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
KITtheKAT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitthekat.html
Latest Review: The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Post by KITtheKAT »

Well, songs in novels take me back to the ever popular 'songfics' of my youth (five years ago), which is basically fan fiction with song lyrics every few lines. They were annoying and the stories turned out bad because it was literally just two lines of dialogue interrupted by a verse of a Taylor Swift song about some or other boyfriend. You always end up skipping over it anyway.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

If they're integrated well into the novel, I usually will look up the songs when I'm done with the book. If not though, I'll skip over them.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”