Single women are tough headed

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Waxiepox
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Single women are tough headed

Post by Waxiepox »

I agree with Swara Sangeet. For instance what Nadia did was the right thing because she did not have anyone to help her make the tough decision. Her boss did not advice her on what step to take pertaining to that matter. Nadia conclusively had the welfare and interest of her son in mind. The step she took was proper in every sense. If we can have the likes of Nadia in our society, I think single women can be strongly independent and tough. Hats off for Nadia!!!!!
Brenda Kiptim
Currently Reading: Kite Runner
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-kiptim.html
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris

Post by Brenda Kiptim »

yes, for the right reasons
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

I agree with Gali that this is a gross generalization nor is it the correct term. What Nadia did was what ought to be done in light of similar situations. People are changed by lots of experiences throughout life and to say that this change is restricted to single women will be to say that which is untrue.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Some...nt all single ladies are tough headed. For the tough headed few, I think it's because of negative situations they've had to deal with in the past so the toughen up thinking that people out there are trying to put them in the same past situation.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

I agree, because before divorce, such women are already heart broken. It takes a lot of time for them to put their lives again. So, they now live their lives the way it pleases them without nobody to consult, since they are now independent.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I think they appear to be tough headed even if they are not. This is because there's a general belief that they are in control of themselves and don't have to rely on others for decision making. This is not being tough headed. They are just making their own decisions.
EmSwan
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emswan.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by EmSwan »

I feel that some single women are tough headed, but so are some married women as it honestly depends on the women and how they were raised, not their relationship status
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
riazziea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riazziea.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by riazziea »

I feel it depends on the person. A lot of the time single women become hard headed because of a past relationship or experience. Society deems women incapable of living without a man. It is because of these absurd ideas that women need to prove that they are fully capable of taking care of themselves, that they will not be pushed around. I think it is just that you are not used to women sticking up for themselves and making their own decisions that makes you feel that single women are hard headed. We are just finally fed up with being pushed around
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

Cheeky wrote:I do think that single women are tuffer -because they have to take care of themselves.
I couldn't agree more. A lot of single women don't get the same respect as a single man, so they do what they have to, and then society punishes them for it. I'm over it.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

I don't agree with this statement. I believe Nadia was only fighting for her rights, and in no dictionary does that equate to Tough headed??? I agree with Gali that this is gross generalization. You can't just judge a whole community by your interpretations of someone's actions
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Jan Moraa Onsomu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9266">Kite Runner</a>
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jan-moraa-onsomu.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Jan Moraa Onsomu »

Haha!!!! I think Nadia's background and experiences are what morphed her behaviour. She may appear tough headed but I think she's simply trying to stand up for herself and also discard societal constraints and expectations predominantly driven by the notion of superiority of men over women. This is a real life issue in most third world countries. Men prefer to be treated as better than women-and it starts at birth. Baby boys have an advantage over the little girls. Until women are fully empowered, expect them to rebel and stand up for their rights.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
ktom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktom.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by ktom »

Yes, I agree. I believe they are this way because they have to stand up for their rights or they will never get what they want in life.
"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea." - Henry James
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

For survival -- after realizing that it is quite possible that no one else will be there to help them, they have to be tough in a lot of ways.
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

Single women are not all tough headed. And I think its not fair to generalise all single women into one single category. Tough single women are made not born. Made from putting up with societies that believe a woman is nothing without a man no matter how accomplished she may be.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Makena Mugendi
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makena-mugendi.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Makena Mugendi »

I think they have to be, especially single mothers. If Nadia had been meek an docile as is preferred in her culture, she would still be in a toxic, abusive relationship with two other wives and a son that is growing up to be a replica of is father to her eternal shame.
It's easy to judge what we do not understand.
I think she is incredibly brave and should be commended for always putting her child first.
Last edited by Makena Mugendi on 22 Mar 2018, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”