Single women are tough headed

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Icon Single women are tough headed

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

Nadia is eventually reporting his ex-husband to the police concerning shooting at the wedding even after being cautioned not to do that by his uncle. As if that is not enough, she demands a week leave even after her request being turned down by the management board. I think single women are very tough headed. Do you agree with this? And why do you think they behave this way?
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I think it is a gross generalization, nor is it the correct term. They may be more independent and determined, but then so can be married ones. Nadia did what she thought was best for her son. In most countries, the shooting would have been reported to the police, especially as a kid was hurt. She did the right thing, but not the smart one as she failed to think about the implications (her ex's revenge). Her bosses didn't have any right to deny her lawful vacation, and she did well to insist on taking it. She behaved as she did for her son.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Charyl
Currently Reading: Tobin and Mr. Good Tree
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Charyl »

Single women are really tough headed and it is merely true. They are being tough because they have learned a lot from the past. Like Nadia she wanted to protect her son from her ex husband and it is the right than thing she can do. Demanding a leave for her job even if the board do not agree with this,this is a single woman's instinct that she is not comfortable enough, she is not safe with this condition. It is good for her women always think of safeness not for their selves but for their children and life. This book is amazing,it portrays that women are strong enough to stand alone.
RACHEAL AMONDI
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RACHEAL AMONDI »

Not really
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Jeconiaomolo wrote:Nadia is eventually reporting his ex-husband to the police concerning shooting at the wedding even after being cautioned not to do that by his uncle. As if that is not enough, she demands a week leave even after her request being turned down by the management board. I think single women are very tough headed. Do you agree with this? And why do you think they behave this way?
Wow, I'm really surprised that came up as a question at all. It's pretty hurtful and, like gali said, a gross generalization. I would think that living in the 21st century that everyone would realize that you can't base one person's actions and generalize that to every person that "fits that category" in the world. Every one and every situation is different. Though, I don't believe Nadia is tough-headed. Like gali said, she is independent and determined. Why is that wrong?

I mean, would you say the same thing if the situation happened to a man? If a father was concerned about his son's (or daughter's) safety and reported a shooting to the police? The boy did end up in the hospital, after all. If a man wants vacation time, which everyone should be able to have, but was refused twice without any real explanation - is it wrong for him to want that vacation?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

Strong women can't be defined by the status of their relationship, nor their actions. Those are the circumstances, which make us strong, not the marital status as you imply. Nadia was oppressed by the tyranny of men in 21st century, and it wasn't her freedom of single woman she was fighting for. It was freedom of man, every man's right to choose their path and be free. If you think single woman are tough, well, maybe you aren't strong enough to take care of such women. I believe that women become independent when men fail to provide them enough security and protection to rely on.
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

I appreciate all your opinions. I would just add a small comments on hsimone's reply
hsimone wrote:
Jeconiaomolo wrote:Nadia is eventually reporting his ex-husband to the police concerning shooting at the wedding even after being cautioned not to do that by his uncle. As if that is not enough, she demands a week leave even after her request being turned down by the management board. I think single women are very tough headed. Do you agree with this? And why do you think they behave this way?
Wow, I'm really surprised that came up as a question at all. It's pretty hurtful and, like gali said, a gross generalization. I would think that living in the 21st century that everyone would realize that you can't base one person's actions and generalize that to every person that "fits that category" in the world. Every one and every situation is different. Though, I don't believe Nadia is tough-headed. Like gali said, she is independent and determined. Why is that wrong?

I mean, would you say the same thing if the situation happened to a man? If a father was concerned about his son's (or daughter's) safety and reported a shooting to the police? The boy did end up in the hospital, after all. If a man wants vacation time, which everyone should be able to have, but was refused twice without any real explanation - is it wrong for him to want that vacation?
hsimone, you See the child is not only her's but also her ex-husband's. Why must she report her ex even after being advised that it was her clan's decision to forgive the offending family? This shows no respect to her clan's decision.
It is not good to despise your people's opinions.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I find no fault in what Nadia did. I don't think we can generalize any group of people in any way, single women included. I think everyone should stand up for themselves and fight for what is right. That's exactly what Nadia did! She was polite and kind, but when neither her boss nor her relatives heeded her, she fought for her right. Hat's off to you, Nadia! I'm sure you're an inspiration to many!!!
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Jeconiaomolo wrote:I appreciate all your opinions. I would just add a small comments on hsimone's reply
hsimone wrote:

hsimone, you See the child is not only her's but also her ex-husband's. Why must she report her ex even after being advised that it was her clan's decision to forgive the offending family? This shows no respect to her clan's decision.
That's an interesting point. I guess it's hard for to understand why would shooting your son and physically abusing your wife for several years be okay. I know she reported him on the injury part, but it's harder for me to understand him because he is an abuser and a danger to others.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Jeconiaomolo

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

Swara Sangeet wrote:I find no fault in what Nadia did. I don't think we can generalize any group of people in any way, single women included. I think everyone should stand up for themselves and fight for what is right. That's exactly what Nadia did! She was polite and kind, but when neither her boss nor her relatives heeded her, she fought for her right. Hat's off to you, Nadia! I'm sure you're an inspiration to many!!!
OK :D

-- 13 Jul 2017, 08:18 --
hsimone wrote:
Jeconiaomolo wrote:I appreciate all your opinions. I would just add a small comments on hsimone's reply
hsimone wrote:

That's an interesting point. I guess it's hard for to understand why would shooting your son and physically abusing your wife for several years be okay. I know she reported him on the injury part, but it's harder for me to understand him because he is an abuser and a danger to others.
I like your responses, but I think she could have obeyed the order on the ground of her family interest if am not wrong.
Socrates
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:
hsimone wrote:

I agree with hsimone!

Regarding the shooting, the hospital should have reported that and failed in his duty when it didn't. Nadia only did what the hospital failed to do. And what about the clan showing respect to her?? They should have consulted with Nadia first instead of going behind her back. If they did, she may not have reported her ex. But, then, women are considered a second class citizen in such societies, so no one asks their opinions or cares about it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Cheeky
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 22">Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks</a>
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheeky.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Cheeky »

I do think that single women are tuffer -because they have to take care of themselves.
Peta2017
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peta2017.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Peta2017 »

You are making a generalization based off of a character in a book. Characters are just that...characters. Whilst in some instances they may be a reflection of values and attitudes in society, I believe it is largely inaccurate to say 'single women are tough headed'. The statement in itself has so many negative connotations. Are we to believe that all women who are single are 'tough headed' as you would put it? What do you define as 'being tough headed'? Please consider that what may tough headed to you may not be seen the same as others. I will also ask then, what do you say of single men?
Jeconiaomolo

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

gali wrote:
hsimone wrote:

I agree with hsimone!

Regarding the shooting, the hospital should have reported that and failed in his duty when it didn't. Nadia only did what the hospital failed to do. And what about the clan showing respect to her?? They should have consulted with Nadia first instead of going behind her back. If they did, she may not have reported her ex. But, then, women are considered a second class citizen in such societies, so no one asks their opinions or cares about it.
To some extent you're right gali. I see the sense in this comment. Consultation was necessary.

-- 13 Jul 2017, 09:27 --
Peta2017 wrote:You are making a generalization based off of a character in a book. Characters are just that...characters. Whilst in some instances they may be a reflection of values and attitudes in society, I believe it is largely inaccurate to say 'single women are tough headed'. The statement in itself has so many negative connotations. Are we to believe that all women who are single are 'tough headed' as you would put it? What do you define as 'being tough headed'? Please consider that what may tough headed to you may not be seen the same as others. I will also ask then, what do you say of single men?
Peta2017, I brought this topic here to seek help from your views. Sincerely speaking we live in a society where single women are so many. Again ' tough headed' means they despise family or organizations' decisions and rely on their own. This is so conspicuous more so in work places. So I was just asking whether you agree or disagree with this notion. Otherwise am sorry that you didn't understand me correctly.
Socrates
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

gali wrote:I think it is a gross generalization, nor is it the correct term. They may be more independent and determined, but then so can be married ones. Nadia did what she thought was best for her son. In most countries, the shooting would have been reported to the police, especially as a kid was hurt. She did the right thing, but not the smart one as she failed to think about the implications (her ex's revenge). Her bosses didn't have any right to deny her lawful vacation, and she did well to insist on taking it. She behaved as she did for her son.
I agree. It's at the character of the individual (not a 'group') whether he/she would report to the police or not. I would guess that for anyone who is aware of his/her rights in a non-oppressive society, one should automatically report that injustice.
-rk

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”